F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > F30 driver's side mirror distorted
ARMA SPEED

08-22-2020, 05:47 AM   #1
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i N26

F30 driver's side mirror distorted

Can someone tell me if their driver's side mirror for their 2012-2013 or possibly other year F30 has the "Objects appear closer..." stamped into it? Only the passenger side mirror has that in my car.

I had my (May 2012 manufacture date) 328i F30 with the driver's side mirror distorted since I bought it used. It's been bothering me since then but only now during Covid had time to mess with it.

It only gets distorted when I move it all the way close. It seems to bind in the last fraction of its travel range and that's when the distortion starts in the inner corner.

While still under warranty I asked the dealer twice but they said there is nothing wrong with it. But when I got a loaner 328i car I tried adjusting and the mirror worked the full range without distorting as they should.

So I am suspecting three things:

1. The mirror at some point was pushed back in and did not lock in properly in the holding tabs. (I tried to push it in carefully, but did not want to break it)

2. The mirror at some point was replaced with a flat screen/aftermarket cheapo mirror and does not fit properly.

3. The internal mechanism that moves the mirror plate is out of its adjustment range.

Thank you for any inputs.

EDIT: seems that per US regulations the driver's side mirror has to be flat.

Last edited by fe7565; 08-22-2020 at 05:52 AM.. Reason: realized that US laws specify flat mirror for driver side
Appreciate 0