Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums AUSTRALIA Which Mode do you use on the Highway :- Comfort Vs Sport

07-02-2020, 04:49 AM   #1
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport 2020(G20)

Which Mode do you use on the Highway :- Comfort Vs Sport

Hi All.

Just had my first long drive...ok only 150Km on the highway , so not that long

I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on Comfort Vs Sports Mode?

I drove 3/4 of the way in comfort, but I felt that for overtaking I really had to depress the accelerator quite a lot and also that it was a bit of an effort to increase speed.

I did not get to test Sport that much, but next time I think that I will do the whole journey in Sport, much more responsive.

I tested Eco Pro around the burbs, I know its to save petrol , but it really should be called "Limp Mode" , I won't use that again.

I keep on thinking...mmmmmhh... next car will be 340ix!!, but I suppose that's why BMW tuned it the way they did..... so you upgrade....Damn you BMW...

And what does Adaptive mode do , I have never used this ?

Thanks All

Cheerio
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 05:44 AM   #2
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i RWD M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by firetitanx View Post
Hi All.

I drove 3/4 of the way in comfort, but I felt that for overtaking I really had to depress the accelerator quite a lot and also that it was a bit of an effort to increase speed.

I did not get to test Sport that much, but next time I think that I will do the whole journey in Sport, much more responsive.

I tested Eco Pro around the burbs, I know its to save petrol , but it really should be called "Limp Mode" , I won't use that again.

I keep on thinking...mmmmmhh... next car will be 340ix!!, but I suppose that's why BMW tuned it the way they did..... so you upgrade....Damn you BMW...

Thanks All

Cheerio
I always drive in adaptive (unless I want to use sport +) it Adapts to your driving style and roads. i.e. if you are taking it easy it will be like comfort and then when you floor it it moves into sport mode.

This would solve the problem with lack of power in comfort mode you describe.

See this thread

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1695716

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 06:03 AM   #3
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam the Bam View Post
Quote:
Hi All.

Thanks All

Cheerio
I always drive in adaptive (unless I want to use sport +) it Adapts to your driving style and roads. i.e. if you are taking it easy it will be like comfort and then when you floor it it moves into sport mode.

See this thread

Quote:
Quote:
Hi All.

Thanks All

Cheerio

See this thread

Ah thanks Tam

I will try Adaptive now , good link I must learn more about the features , will watch the video and report back
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 11:18 AM   #4
del82
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xdrive

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi All.

Thanks All

Cheerio

See this thread

Quote:
Quote:
Hi All.

Thanks All

Cheerio

See this thread

Ah thanks Tam

I will try Adaptive now , good link I must learn more about the features , will watch the video and report back
+1 for adaptive here as well.
      07-02-2020, 03:19 PM   #5
francton
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d g20

Garage List
2019 BMW 320D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by del82 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi All.

Thanks All

Cheerio

See this thread

Quote:
Quote:
Hi All.

Thanks All

Cheerio

See this thread

Ah thanks Tam

+1 for adaptive here as well.
i use adaptive as well for day to day driving including highways. i find it quite responsive. mines a diesel 320d though, so i have that low down torque that is great for overtaking. i use sport only for the winding roads.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 04:41 PM   #6
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
Like Tam the Ban, I use Adaptive most of the time, unless I’m feeling I need an adrenaline rush, then I use Sport or Sport plus.
The extra 2 cylinders help!
      07-02-2020, 05:02 PM   #7
erawamai
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G21

I think the modes are pretty good. They do shift the personality of the car.

I think just sticking it in Adaptive is the best idea unless you specifically have some nice roads to drive.

Eco pro is sleep mode. You really have to prod it get it to kick down. Which is fine depending on your mood. The interesting thing about eco pro is that I think ASD is completely off.

I know everyone knocks ASD saying its completely obvious but I think its pretty well integrated. The only issue is with the sound. It sounds like a big capacity engine when its not.

I'd say most regular people would not be able to tell. However, I really wish we could turn it off (without using bimmer code).

Last edited by erawamai; 07-02-2020 at 05:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 02:21 AM   #8
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by erawamai View Post

I think just sticking it in Adaptive is the best idea unless you specifically have some nice roads to drive.

Eco pro is sleep mode. You really have to prod it get it to kick down. Which is fine depending on your mood. The interesting thing about eco pro is that I think ASD is completely off.

I know everyone knocks ASD saying its completely obvious but I think its pretty well integrated. The only issue is with the sound. It sounds like a big capacity engine when its not.

I'd say most regular people would not be able to tell. However, I really wish we could turn it off (without using bimmer code).
Quote:
Originally Posted by erawamai View Post

Great stuff guys, thanks for the comments

Adaptive it is then
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 03:52 AM   #9
GTR33R
Private
Rep
Drives: M340iXdrive

Mostly adaptive for me, at times sport plus.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 10:13 AM   #10
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks All for your GREAT Input.

I have been trying out Adaptive mode and it is really great , just what I wanted !!
It's in between Comfort and Sport

Very responsive and not so lazy like Comfort , but not too in your face like Sport

I wish I found this out 1000Km's ago , my ride would of been much more enjoyable,

My car has just become much better to drive ..Haahaha

Oh well better late than never !!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 12:12 PM   #11
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Sport plus all the time
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 06:41 PM   #12
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by themnmd View Post
Sport plus all the time
You must have multiple driving licenses!
In this country Sport Plus all the time would shred My license in a week or two!
francton124.50
      07-04-2020, 04:25 AM   #13
GTR33R
Private
Rep
Drives: M340iXdrive

They are not as harsh on speed in USA as they are here Steve
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 03:33 AM   #14
TikiTourer
Old Member
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M340i, Mineral White

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2013 125i  [0.00]
I usually use the Adaptive setting on my M340i now. Unless I find nice hilly and winding roads where it's Sports plus
I quite like Adaptive; it seems to analyse and learn your driving style and also uses GPS to somehow work out what it thinks the optimal settings should be...
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 03:16 PM   #15
Bris-M340i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

I have been using sport individual and setting the engine to sport plus so I can hear the exhaust
Appreciate 0