E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Thunder at the Glen... Anyone Going?

09-20-2008, 08:45 PM   #1
BMWdrmz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Thunder at the Glen... Anyone Going?

Like the title says, anyone going to the NASA North East Thunder at the Glen HPDE/TT/ Race weekend?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 04:18 PM   #2
slalomfever
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nardo Grey F80

not this time. I'll be at Thunderbolt...you?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 05:19 PM   #3
BMWdrmz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalomfever View Post
not this time. I'll be at Thunderbolt...you?
I plan to try and make the November weekend event, have to see what the weather is like
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2008, 07:45 PM   #4
arter
collecting toys
Rep
Drives: M3 MCB

I went today

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWdrmz View Post
Like the title says, anyone going to the NASA North East Thunder at the Glen HPDE/TT/ Race weekend?
Great day, ran HPDE class 2 with my E90 335Xi. First time running this car on a race track and also first time running with my JB3 tune. Still had the factory runflats on, not bad but the car under-steered and could use something bigger than 225's up front. I am probably going to a square set-up with 245's all around. Brakes were surprisingly good. Oil temp only hit 250
( have factory oil cooler) but temperature only in 40-50's so maybe not a hard challenge.

The JB3 gave me all the power I could use, hit 135 in the back straight and 124 in the front, unfortunately I was sliding more than I would like on the turns.
Still working on my driving skills......

JB3 gives this car more power than the M3's present ( although modded Corvettes are a different matter).

Very pleasantly surprised by this car.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2008, 10:09 PM   #5
BMWdrmz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arter View Post
Great day, ran HPDE class 2 with my E90 335Xi. First time running this car on a race track and also first time running with my JB3 tune. Still had the factory runflats on, not bad but the car under-steered and could use something bigger than 225's up front. I am probably going to a square set-up with 245's all around. Brakes were surprisingly good. Oil temp only hit 250
( have factory oil cooler) but temperature only in 40-50's so maybe not a hard challenge.

The JB3 gave me all the power I could use, hit 135 in the back straight and 124 in the front, unfortunately I was sliding more than I would like on the turns.
Still working on my driving skills......

JB3 gives this car more power than the M3's present ( although modded Corvettes are a different matter).

Very pleasantly surprised by this car.
It was a good weekend. I was there Friday through Sunday. Sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you. I was driving the red M3 in the instructor/advanced group. Were your speeds on the back and front straight indicated (speedo) or measured (i.e. like a GPS based system)? Either way, not bad speeds. You could get more speed on the back straight if you set up turn 1 really nice and go flat out through the esses. Maybe I'll see you out there one day.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2008, 05:25 AM   #6
arter
collecting toys
Rep

Speeds per speedo, which as I am still on factory diameter wheels shouldn't be too far of.

Yeah, could go faster as I am not taking turn 1 well and I did let off a little in the esses... car had a little swaying motion ( this is an Xi that is still raised) that made me a little uncomfortable as I am not used to it.

Might have to put on the KW coilovers which the Xi crowd says really tightens the car up. I don't think the car ( Xi ) is as bad as they say, but the Xi doesn't even have the sport suspension that the i's have.

Still a lot a fun though.........
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 01:27 PM   #7
BMWdrmz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Speeds per speedo, which as I am still on factory diameter wheels shouldn't be too far of.

Yeah, could go faster as I am not taking turn 1 well and I did let off a little in the esses... car had a little swaying motion ( this is an Xi that is still raised) that made me a little uncomfortable as I am not used to it.

Might have to put on the KW coilovers which the Xi crowd says really tightens the car up. I don't think the car ( Xi ) is as bad as they say, but the Xi doesn't even have the sport suspension that the i's have.

Pics are available at tracktime photos. The speedo is pretty optimistic once you start hitting triple digits. My speedo said I was doing ~145, but my measured speed max was 130 on the back straight. Here is a pic of me
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 09:55 PM   #8
arter
collecting toys
Rep

You are probably right that my speedo is very optimistic, but I was feeling good there for a while. I am fine if I only progressed from running in the mid teens to the mid 120's as long as I am progressing.

Back to visualizing the corners
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 09:21 PM   #9
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F22 M240

Quote:

The roll on the XI with stock suspension is awful and the staggered wheel setup helps promote that wonderful slide feel. I added the KWv3's and when to 245/40/17 Dunlop Z1 SS on K1 Kosei and am happy as punch. No more plowing roll and almost neutral feeling in handling (still a little understeer left to be ironed out).

Cheers

edit - In retrospect, I should have gone to 255s.