F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Should I be concerned about this?
ARMA SPEED

04-27-2020, 03:59 PM   #1
klasjdh
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 435ix

Should I be concerned about this?

I have not been able to drive my used 2016 435i x for 3-4 weeks due to the virus epidemic. As a result, when I started to drive it today, I noticed that there was something immediately wrong with the brakes being stiff and wonky.

But after driving the car for around an hour, the braking issue became less pronounced and improved somewhat.

After driving the car, I took some pictures of the brakes / calipers. Should I be concerned about this? Should I bring it in the dealership to get this taken looked at?

Also I just noticed after taking the pictures that the 2 front wheels have this metal cover that encases the calipers, but the two back wheels do not (as shown in the last picture, sorry I forgot to take pictures of the front two wheels' brakes / calipers.

What do you think would be the best solution to remedy the situation?

Thanks!

photos are clickable links for larger images.

K
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 04:32 PM   #2
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M.G. w red interior

rust build up happens on the rotors but will go away after some driving, the build up on the caliper itself you are going to want to try and clean. next time you wash your car just spend a little more time there, maybe use a plastic bristled brush with a short handle that will give you some reach. not something to be too worried about or requires a dealer visit.
      04-27-2020, 05:49 PM   #3
klasjdh
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 435ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerJoe View Post
rust build up happens on the rotors but will go away after some driving, the build up on the caliper itself you are going to want to try and clean. next time you wash your car just spend a little more time there, maybe use a plastic bristled brush with a short handle that will give you some reach. not something to be too worried about or requires a dealer visit.
So do you think that rust build attributed to the strange feeling I got when I was using the brakes after not driving it for a couple of weeks? Like this undulating feeling almost like bumps that are not smooth, from what I used to remember.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 06:42 PM   #4
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M.G. w red interior

Quote:
Originally Posted by klasjdh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerJoe View Post
So do you think that rust build attributed to the strange feeling I got when I was using the brakes after not driving it for a couple of weeks? Like this undulating feeling almost like bumps that are not smooth, from what I used to remember.
could be you were feeling the rust on the rotors before the friction removed it, kind of like when you have a warped rotor the feedback can transfer and be felt in the pedal. after it rains and my car sits for a few days I get rust build up on my rotors, it always goes away but I've never felt anything in the pedal. it went away though right? I didn't drive my car for maybe 10 days and it had a rough first start, but it's been fine since.. if the issue was persistent I would be concerned, but first time driving the car after a certain amount of time sitting and then acting fine after I wouldn't worry.
      04-28-2020, 12:47 PM   #5
zole2112
Modder of everything I own
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Xdrive

What they said...rust.
2013 BMW 335xi F30 N55 PWG/VRSF DP/ER CP/Injen CAI/AA FMIC/JB4 map 7/Fuel= E50 w/ E85:93oct/Stock LPFP & HPFP/CATuned coilovers/Megan Racing Rear Swaybar/Powerflex Rear Subframe Bushing Inserts/Dual aFe Power Mach Force Mufflers/Resonator Delete/MHD & BMS Race BEF
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 11:14 AM   #6
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

It could very well be rust combined with glazed rotors / pads + something else.

There isn't a need to take the car to the dealer. Reputable indy shop can inspect the brakes and give you an accurate assessment. Better be safe.
Appreciate 0