F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Squeak from rear wheel??
GetBMWParts

04-14-2020, 06:12 PM   #1
sigtwenty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 / 2001 E38

Squeak from rear wheel??

I noticed a slow speed squeak from the rear wheel, when brakes are NOT applied.

1. I had an oil change at the dealer last week, and had them adjust the parking brake. the adjustment was clearly done right since it works perfectly now. this noise was there BEFORE and AFTER this. so its not the parking brake adjustment. the noise hasnt gotten better or worse with this adjustment either.

2. if i lightly apply the brakes, the noise goes away.

3. the noise is a chirpy squeak, and its intermittent at slow speeds.

4. rear brakes were checked and nowhere near low, and are still OEM pads.

What would be the cause of this?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 01:28 PM   #2
Lui428i
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 428I

bump for any ideas..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 07:30 PM   #3
JasonWL
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F20 125i

RE: Squeak from rear wheel??

I'm having the same problem with a squeak coming from the rear drivers side wheel.

I had the tyres replaced recently but they couldn't find the source. Still plenty of brake pad left so that isn't the problem.

The squeak disappears after a few brake applications and returns again next time I drive the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 11:42 AM   #4
DG330
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330

Having similar issue.

Think it's brake related. Mine squeaks while driving regardless of braking or no braking. Only does it from either a long stop, or first thing when driving off. If I stop then go again it goes.

Imagine it needs taking apart and greasing, although my disks will need changing next time.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 03:10 PM   #5
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport Estoril Blue

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I sometimes get a squeak when starting a drive after the car has been sitting for a while. Mine comes from the parking brake. Maybe try applying the parking brake lightly while moving to see if it goes away or gets louder?
Interior: Bavsound stage 1 and subs - custom trunk sub by Mike1327
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 03:33 PM   #6
bloodline129
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i xdrive

Man I have something similar to this.

It's like a faint grind on the rear wheels. You can hear it at slow speeds, especially quiet neighborhoods. Pressing down on the brakes seems to make it go away.

My pads have ton of life left as dealer replaced them before selling me the car,but the rotors seem to still be OG and have a decent lip on the outer edge.
I'm in process of purchasing new pads n rotors and hope to god it makes that sound go away.

It's irritating AF driving a nice car and it sounds like a rattle box.
Appreciate 1
DG33071.00
      07-08-2020, 07:16 PM   #7
JasonWL
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F20 125i

Seems to be brake related. The last couple of times after starting the car I have depressed the brake firmly a couple of time prior to driving the car. Each time I did this I didn't get the squeak, maybe the brake needs greasing?
Appreciate 1
DG33071.00
      07-10-2020, 06:52 PM   #8
DG330
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330

If anyone finds the cure let this thread know.

I'll be changing pads and disks at some point, but I've still got some meat on the pads to use up.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2023, 08:58 AM   #9
QuestMCoupe
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 EB 435I M Sport

Did anyone ever find a solution to this?
      02-26-2023, 11:04 AM   #10
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigtwenty View Post

1. I had an oil change at the dealer last week, and had them adjust the parking brake. the adjustment was clearly done right since it works perfectly now. this noise was there BEFORE and AFTER this. so its not the parking brake adjustment. the noise hasnt gotten better or worse with this adjustment either.

sigtwenty, may I ask a few questions ...

- How many miles does your car have?
- When did squeaking symptoms begin?
- When were rotors and / or brakes changed?
- Are rotors OEM or aftermarket? OEM pads mentioned above - thank you
- Does your car have M Sport or standard brakes?

Since the squeaking sounds disappear when brakes are NOT applied, there is metal-over-metal contact somewhere, for example some part of the the brake pad could be touching the rotor. This can happen if the caliper pin does not return to the precise position because of the residual brake dust buildup.

Humble suggestion to consider.

The dealer should have inspected the calipers and cleaned the insides of the caliper housings where the pads reside. In addition, it's important to clean any residual brake brake dust off the caliper pins and then apply a very light coating to caliper pins before inserting them.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2023, 12:44 AM   #11
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigtwenty View Post

I am assuming

1) The squeak occurs when the wheel turns and not the suspension compressing or decompressing

2) You have a single piston brake caliper for the rear brakes

With single piston brake calipers, there is a part of the system not used with dual piston calipers: The caliper carrier (part number 34216865641). Single piston brake pads have what are sometimes referred to as 'ears' (the top and bottom end of the pad) that sit in the carrier. The carrier (in BMW's case) is made of cast iron. The pads also use a steel or iron backing plate. Both of these parts will rust over time to the point where the either the top or bottom (or both) ends will seize on the carrier. This most often happens on the outer pad. The inner pad is pushed by the piston which will break any rust away but the outer pad does not have this kind of force acting on it. Uneven seizing of the pad (either top of bottom) will tend to cause the outer pad to be slightly askew when the brakes are released. This tends to cause squeaking against the rotor by the outer pad.

Name:  carrier.png
Views: 879
Size:  35.5 KB

To fix the problem, you will need to remove the rear caliper and pads, then using a wire brush clean up the carrier where it mates to the brake pad. Now take the outer pad and place it in the carrier and see if there is any binding. Once you are satisfied you've clean up enough rust, using high-temp brake lubricant or anti-seize compound, dab a bit on the ears of the pad. While tempted to use the 'more is better' formula, keep in mind too much grease is going to attack a lot of brake dust. You just need a small amount.

Each time you do your rear brakes, clean up the carrier with a wire brush, brake cleaner, and re-apply lube/anti-seize. This will keep your single piston brake pads from seizing and hopefully fix your squeak problem.