ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-12-2008, 10:13 AM   #1
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

ESS CFR500 Supercharger update

Thought I would share an update on the progress of the CFR500 kit. It looks like we have finally finished the US tuning which took a little longer then expected do to our wonderful emissions standards here in the states . ESS did not want to release the kit until both the US and Euro versions were 100% ready. Two versions of the kit will be available to purchase the CFR500 "500 hp" at $10,900 and the CFR525 "525 hp" at $11,900. custom builds beyond the 525 can also be done for customers that are interested. The first production kits are due to ship in October. With all of the daily driving and extended high speed tests we have done in the 100+ deg weather here in AZ the kit has been solid and trouble free. The car continues to behave like stock around town with no hint of misbehaving. If anyone has questions shoot me a PM.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2008, 11:25 AM   #2
Black///Mamba
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a beast

can i have it for free?
      09-12-2008, 05:54 PM   #3
MMMazing07
More than you can afford pal....ferrari
Rep
Drives: Z4M

deffinatily on my mod list. what would the turn around time to install and ship car to AZ romen
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2008, 06:13 PM   #4
sales@ESSTuning
Rep

Install is about 2 days. Other then that its just travel time on the truck.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2008, 10:41 PM   #5
The__J__Factor
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M Coupe

Hi what version do you think would be best for an Australia M coupe?
We run 98Ron Fuel, and im unsure of the cat location (ie if its like the US M's or Euro)

Also sorry if this is a stupid question but how are the M3s holding up with boost? Is there enough info to say "yes this kit is 100% safe on stock internals".
Do we know what power levels the stock ring lands, pistons, rods ect will fail at? (assuming a good tune)

Anyway looks like a great kit, I just sold a 2001 Celica which i had a custom Rotrex s/c installed on it with fully built engine ect and that was an amazing drive.
Id love to go Rotrex again but i keep hearing how hard it is to tune our cars, so this kit is up on my list.

Thanks
- Jerome
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2008, 11:39 PM   #6
sales@ESSTuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The__J__Factor View Post
Hi what version do you think would be best for an Australia M coupe?
We run 98Ron Fuel, and im unsure of the cat location (ie if its like the US M's or Euro)

Also sorry if this is a stupid question but how are the M3s holding up with boost? Is there enough info to say "yes this kit is 100% safe on stock internals".
Do we know what power levels the stock ring lands, pistons, rods ect will fail at? (assuming a good tune)

Anyway looks like a great kit, I just sold a 2001 Celica which i had a custom Rotrex s/c installed on it with fully built engine ect and that was an amazing drive.
Id love to go Rotrex again but i keep hearing how hard it is to tune our cars, so this kit is up on my list.

Thanks
- Jerome
Jerome

The best fit for your car would be the CFR525. You have the euro version of the car that has euro headers and you are using fuel that equals our 93 octane. The S54 engine is a very good engine to boost in terms of its construction being a iron block but its high compression can get you into trouble if you run too much boost. As long as boost is kept on the safe side it is a very good motor to add FI to. There are hundreds of supercharged M3's on the road that have had no issues with FI. The stock motor can handle power up around 600HP with boost but beyond that it would be wise to do internals and lower the compression for safety and long term reliability. When you get into the high HP kits you also have to start considering clutch upgrades and other things so it begins to get expensive and you lose the luxury of having a nice practical daily driver.

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2008, 12:38 AM   #7
The__J__Factor
Major
Australia
Rep

Thanks a lot mate.

One more question. This is regarding the fuel system we have. Is it a return system and also do we have to upgrade the fuel pump for this kit or are the larger injectors enough?

Everything sounds pretty good so far. With the celica its also a 11.5:1 compression ratio but we managed to get 320whp out of that 1.8ltr engine just fine, but we got to the point where we had to replace everything.
so this is sounding easy
Just gotta save a few months. Sorry i havnt posted here before ive only had my new car for 2 weeks.
Z4 M Coupe - H&R - RE Diablo - RPi - Tekarbon - Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2008, 10:31 AM   #8
sales@ESSTuning
Rep

Quote:
Thanks a lot mate.

One more question. This is regarding the fuel system we have. Is it a return system and also do we have to upgrade the fuel pump for this kit or are the larger injectors enough?

Everything sounds pretty good so far. With the celica its also a 11.5:1 compression ratio but we managed to get 320whp out of that 1.8ltr engine just fine, but we got to the point where we had to replace everything.
so this is sounding easy
Just gotta save a few months. Sorry i havnt posted here before ive only had my new car for 2 weeks.
Injector upgrade only
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 07:22 AM   #9
Void Xero
Rep
Drives: None

Thanks for the update!

So I assume the CFR525 requires installation of the European headers first? What does that usually cost (can ESS do the work)? And how would it affect emissions testing? Thanks for any info you can provide...
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 09:21 AM   #10
sales@ESSTuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Void Xero View Post
Thanks for the update!

So I assume the CFR525 requires installation of the European headers first? What does that usually cost (can ESS do the work)? And how would it affect emissions testing? Thanks for any info you can provide...
Yes the CFR525 requires OEM euro headers or any other header that deletes the cats. Emissions is fine because the software removes the sensor check so the OBDII will not trigger a SES light. Headers are around $2k and you can have your local shop do the install or have the car sent to AZ to have the ESS dealer here to do the work.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 02:49 PM   #11
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Rom3n, you're the man. Thanks for giving us all these options.

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 03:08 PM   #12
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Hey rom3n whats it take to be a certified installation shop? Our shop in Florida has plenty of experience installing superchargers and other parts on BMWs.
      09-19-2008, 09:41 AM   #13
sales@ESSTuning
Rep

Getting dyno work done should have some numbers posted by early next week.

Last edited by sales@ESSTuning; 09-25-2008 at 11:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2008, 02:26 PM   #14
MMMazing07
More than you can afford pal....ferrari
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom3n View Post
Getting dyno work done should have some numbers posted by early next week.

thats such a weak video. looking forward to some numbers
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 11:39 PM   #15
sales@ESSTuning
Rep

Had a chance to finish some dyno work today at Evoms. Temp was near 100 today so it was a bit hot. We did lots of runs and collected as much data as we could. Evoms uses a Mustang Dyno that is very accurate but it runs about 9% lower in rated power VS the DynoJet that ESS uses in Norway. I wanted to see how close the US car would dyno to the Euro version. ESS was able to get 450 RWHP and 345 ft/tq on the CFR525. This is due to the Euro headers they run and the 93 octane. My current software is the CFR525 and because Im not running headers yet you can see above 5k the car is wanting a higher flow rate from the exhaust. With headers I believe we will improve on both 91 and 93 runs a little.

We started the day running the car with 91 octane. We found that the car was pulling a bit of timing up top around 5k RPM due to the crap gas and the high outside temps. 91 octane does not do well in high temps and it showed. Our tq numbers were able to stay very strong and as you can see on the dyno the ASA blower makes really nice tq thru the powerband. We were able to get consistant runs of around 368 RWHP and 312 ft/tq with the 91 but we knew with better fuel we could get rid of the limits we were seeing in the top end. We then added 93 octane let the DME adapt and did several more runs. With 93 we were able to get consistant runs of 412 RWHP and 320 ft/tq.

We then did the calculations keeping the 9% difference in the DynoJet dyno ESS uses and the Mustang dyno were were using. We came up numbers that were close to the ESS test car.

ESS Euro Test car

CFR525 = 446 RWHP
CFR500 = 410 RWHP

93 Octane
412 RWHP + 9% correction = 449 RWHP
320 ft/tq + 9% correction = 348 ft/tq

91 Octane
368 RWHP + 9% correction = 401 RWHP
311 ft/tq + 9% correction = 338 ft/tq

Next we will be running a stock Z4M coupe on this same dyno and get a solid baseline. We will also be adding Euro headers to my car and re-test the car with both 91 and 93 octane to see how much we can gain on both.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 03:09 AM   #16
The__J__Factor
Major
Australia
Rep

Im slightly disappointed, and im not sure if its coz of the headers your using, restrictive exhaust or just cos the stock cams are terrible...
But with a centrifugal s/c you should be make power exponentially and building it up real fast up top or at the very least very linear. Yet you get to 6000rpm and it hits a wall.
Like i said im not sure whats causing this, it may also be due to the fact that you have no control over the tune. Which is another thing i really dislike, if you were able to tune it real time on the dyno you could have a chance to help pull that power curve up. Im thinking that once it hits peak torque its not continuing to advance the timing.

410whp is pretty good, id like to see a base line and to find out why its not making more power.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 03:10 AM   #17
The__J__Factor
Major
Australia
Rep

also a dyno with boost pressure graphed on it as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 10:54 AM   #18
sales@ESSTuning
Rep

"410whp is pretty good, id like to see a base line and to find out why its not making more power."

You wont make much more then this from a 492HP car on a Mustang dyno. You could run it on a Dynojet and get the number to 450.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 01:44 PM   #19
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
But with a centrifugal s/c you should be make power exponentially and building it up real fast up top or at the very least very linear. Yet you get to 6000rpm and it hits a wall.
Like i said im not sure whats causing this, it may also be due to the fact that you have no control over the tune.
What are you talking about? The the ASA simply has more midrange then most blowers, its not that it's falling off but that it has more torque sooner and then goes back to "normal"

Also, superchargers don't make power exponentially, they make power linearly for the most part. Some turbocharged cars make exponential power in a very narrow rpm range but that's about it.

Also the car falling on it's face a bit is clearly attributed to timing, you can see it skipping around tables, well I can, you probably can't.
      09-26-2008, 02:02 PM   #20
sales@ESSTuning
Rep

It was very obvious that over 5k the motor started to pull power. A few things contributing to this are the 100 deg weather, current software and the 91 octane. Higher octane helped overcome some of this but my current Euro software is designed to run headers which I dont have installed yet. I believe once we add them we will see a much smoother power curve over 5k. I wanted to see how the car would perform before and after headers thats why we did this dyno session. I will post some more runs after we install headers. Hopefully by then temps here in the desert will come dawn a bit.

As far as the TQ numbers they are very good compared to most blowers that push high HP numbers but dont add the TQ to go along with it.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 07:05 PM   #21
Graham M
I love my Z. Pure sex on wheels.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Is sold, goodbye everyone!

If only non Z4M owners could see these results firsthand. uggh.. what a tease. Lucky bastards.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 08:07 PM   #22
The__J__Factor
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Also the car falling on it's face a bit is clearly attributed to timing, you can see it skipping around tables, well I can, you probably can't.
If you read my comment i also made this assumption on timing

Quote:
if you were able to tune it real time on the dyno you could have a chance to help pull that power curve up. Im thinking that once it hits peak torque its not continuing to advance the timing.
I dont care about peak numbers, or about correctional factors to fake higher numbers or dynoing on another dyno to get better results.
What i care about is having a power curve that doesnt slow down. Hopefully it is just due to poor fuel and your headers.
Id also like to see the boost graphed as well. The more info the better.
Is there another dyno graph from the guy in europe with the kit?
Appreciate 0