F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > "Fast" steering only at center position +/- a couple degrees?
GetBMWParts

03-09-2020, 12:50 PM   #1
reallysomething
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi

"Fast" steering only at center position +/- a couple degrees?

I used to own a 2013 320d MT (UK) and just bought a 2016 328xi AT (US). Both cars had the sport mode option and I loved the tightened suspension when winding my way around the UK. I was looking forward to that feeling in the new car and things felt pretty good on the test drive, but now that I've purchased it I'm noticing that a difference that makes me wonder if it's an inherent difference (expected some) or something that's actually off. I'll note that even in comfort mode, the steering is much "faster" / electronic feeling than my 2013. This car does not have VSS; the VIN report just shows S216A HYDRO STEERING-SERVOTRONIC.

My concern is that, even in sport, it feels like the steering is very fast/touchy at center and a few degrees either way. Once I get out of this zone, like during a mild curve, I get that tightened, heavier handling feeling. When transitioning from a left curve to a right curve, it does feel like I need to correct some at the center point. At highway speeds and on straights when I’m mainly in this fast “area” of the wheel, if not very steady, it can be pretty easy to jump around the lane because of this fast steering.

All tires are about 34psi and even wear. I didn’t notice any major alignment issues, but I think there is a bias ever so slightly to the right. The chassis setting is engaged in sport mode – and I do notice the difference when in sport mode as opposed to comfort, just not when the wheel is close to center. I don’t think it’s a completely dead spot – it seems I do get a response from the wheels when wiggling the wheel back and forth in this “fast” zone – though it’s hard to tell.

Sorry if my terminology is inconsistent. I’ve looked high and low on forums and can’t make much sense out of what I’m experiencing and whether it is an issue or just inherent to the electronic steering. I didn't see anyone describing the inconsistency in the same way on bimmerpost.

Any insights are appreciated before I go playing this game at a dealership!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 01:36 PM   #2
reallysomething
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi

OK I found this on he E90 thread. Looks like this guy found a fix to a similarly described problem; I'm wondering if this would work for F30 xdrive?

And trying to figure if I have the means to access this bolt...

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...=256125&page=2
Appreciate 0