F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > M Performance Brakes or MPPSK, which upgrade should I get next?
Extreme Powerhouse

03-03-2020, 12:43 AM   #1
sinopath
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i(x) convertible

M Performance Brakes or MPPSK, which upgrade should I get next?

Hi All, I have a base model 2017 440i convertible, and I have about 5k budget for upgrade this year. I can either go with M Performance Power and Sound Kit, or a set of colored M Performance Brakes/rotors, they cost about the same. I'm leaning towards MPPSK but wife says it's too loud and she wants to improve the look. I think if I keep this car long time I will eventually get both. I'd like to hear your opinions and learn some useful information, such as the maintenance cost of these upgrades, the durability, the availability in the future. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 06:13 AM   #2
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinopath View Post
Hi All, I have a base model 2017 440i convertible, and I have about 5k budget for upgrade this year. I can either go with M Performance Power and Sound Kit, or a set of colored M Performance Brakes/rotors, they cost about the same. I'm leaning towards MPPSK but wife says it's too loud and she wants to improve the look. I think if I keep this car long time I will eventually get both. I'd like to hear your opinions and learn some useful information, such as the maintenance cost of these upgrades, the durability, the availability in the future. Thanks!
5K is a big budget so you should be able to pretty much get both, unless you buy and install them at a dealer. I enjoy hearing from someone like you who sounds like he loves his car and would like to keep it.

Did you buy it new? How many miles on it? Do you still have warranty remaining and is warranty a big concern of yours? The last question mostly concerns the MPPSK, and whether to get that or aftermarket components that are better and cheaper.

As for the M Performance Brake Kit, it can be purchased from a BMW dealer on the Internet called GetBMWParts for $1,800. The rear rotors are separate at $400/pair. Installation at a good independent BMW mechanic shouldn't be more than $500. (See BimmerShops website for local shops). So the brakes installed would cost you only $2,700 of your $5k budget.

IMO the front rotors and F&R pads in the MPBK are no more than average. I'd sell them when they are new. Instead, I would install Hawk 5.0 pads (about $250). And four two-piece cross-drilled rotors from StopTech for about $700 total. (Front 128.34144L &R, Rear 128.34147L &R)

You would really be paying $1,800 for the four new calipers in either red, orange or yellow less whatever you can sell the rotors and pads for. The cheapest price that I could find on those BMW rotors and pads bought separately new totals $825. Soo if you sold them at 50% off to get rid of them quickly, then the brand new calipers would have cost you $1,400.

Add in the Hawk 5.0 pads, StopTech rotors and Indy labor and that totals $2,850 (less if you get more for the BMW rotors and pads that you sell. Plus remember that the calipers that you remove are worth money on the used market, especially the front 340mm. The rotors and pads are worth a little too but primarily they might help to sell the calipers. Your used brake components are probably worth about $500+ to someone with a 4-cylinder model F3x who is looking to upgrade his brakes.

If you want to save more money on calipers, you can purchase a used set. Most plentiful are the blue M Sport Calipers in 370/345. Make sure someone doesn't try to sell you a blue painted front 340 caliper. Make sure that it says "370/380" on the back and not "340". The blue 370/345 M Sport calipers are identical to the M Performance calipers. Literally the only difference is the color. A used set of 370/345 blue calipers in great condition where they are not all chipped up costs about $1,000-$1,100.

Also the color can also be easily changed by brushing on G2USA Caliper Paint for $50-$150 depending on whether you choose a standard or custom color. It's a two-part epoxy like coating that levels out to a sprayed on finish as it dries. A buddy of mine is doing his calipers in a G2USA custom Ferrari Red. I can't wait to see them.

MPPSK:
The quick answer is that you can do better for less money by getting the following:

BootMod3 Stage1 tune, a very smooth tune that is much more powerful than the MPPSK tune and feels every bit as stock. It allows you to tune those exhaust burbles or turn them off completely like I did to just hear my quality exhaust. $600

AWE axle-back exhaust has an amazing deep sound that sounds substantial like a high quality automobile. $1,600.

aFe drop-in free flow airfilter. Provides great breathing, a small performance bump and its washable/reusable for ~$80.

Guessing about $300 installation at an Indy shop for exhaust & filter. Tune you can install yourself in 20 minutes with your laptop in your driveway. Simple! Or there are many you can pay a nominal fee for phone support to walk you through it.

So total of $2,600 installed instead of whatever dealer was going to charge for MPPSK!

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 2
      03-03-2020, 11:03 AM   #3
TanzM4
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Unless your brakes are almost worn out then I would go with the MPPSK first. The MPPSK makes the car soooo much more fun to drive... new brakes don't bring that kind of excitement.
      03-03-2020, 04:41 PM   #4
sinopath
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Thank you so much for all the ideas, I will save them for after my warranty expires 1st of all, I'm in Canada, so 5k CAD is like 3.75k USD (I wish I could earn USD instead of CAD). I bought my car used, it had 14000km/8750miles, 3 years old, now it's at 16000km/10000miles. When I bought the car I got a discount on extended warranty, so my factory warranty is good until the end of 2023. I get attached to cars I own, otherwise I would consider switch to another one that comes with M performance packages, in stead of upgrading for much more. I have about 2k store credit at a dealer (long story, you may refer to my other post), so I'd like to get things done at that dealer. I know getbmwparts, bimmershops are great places to get discount on parts, but currently cross-border shopping isn't an option for me. At the moment, I kinda want to decide basing on the factors like on which option do I get the best value for my money, or is one of the options more likely to be discontinued soon so I won't get it later, etc. To be honest, I probably have to wait 2 years before I can upgrade another thing on this car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
5K is a big budget so you should be able to pretty much get both, unless you buy and install them at a dealer. I enjoy hearing from someone like you who sounds like he loves his car and would like to keep it.

Did you buy it new? How many miles on it? Do you still have warranty remaining and is warranty a big concern of yours? The last question mostly concerns the MPPSK, and whether to get that or aftermarket components that are better and cheaper.

As for the M Performance Brake Kit, it can be purchased from a BMW dealer on the Internet called GetBMWParts for $1,800. The rear rotors are separate at $400/pair. Installation at a good independent BMW mechanic shouldn't be more than $500. (See BimmerShops website for local shops). So the brakes installed would cost you only $2,700 of your $5k budget.

IMO the front rotors and F&R pads in the MPBK are no more than average. I'd sell them when they are new. Instead, I would install Hawk 5.0 pads (about $250). And four two-piece cross-drilled rotors from StopTech for about $700 total. (Front 128.34144L &R, Rear 128.34147L &R)

You would really be paying $1,800 for the four new calipers in either red, orange or yellow less whatever you can sell the rotors and pads for. The cheapest price that I could find on those BMW rotors and pads bought separately new totals $825. Soo if you sold them at 50% off to get rid of them quickly, then the brand new calipers would have cost you $1,400.

Add in the Hawk 5.0 pads, StopTech rotors and Indy labor and that totals $2,850 (less if you get more for the BMW rotors and pads that you sell. Plus remember that the calipers that you remove are worth money on the used market, especially the front 340mm. The rotors and pads are worth a little too but primarily they might help to sell the calipers. Your used brake components are probably worth about $500+ to someone with a 4-cylinder model F3x who is looking to upgrade his brakes.

If you want to save more money on calipers, you can purchase a used set. Most plentiful are the blue M Sport Calipers in 370/345. Make sure someone doesn't try to sell you a blue painted front 340 caliper. Make sure that it says "370/380" on the back and not "340". The blue 370/345 M Sport calipers are identical to the M Performance calipers. Literally the only difference is the color. A used set of 370/345 blue calipers in great condition where they are not all chipped up costs about $1,000-$1,100.

Also the color can also be easily changed by brushing on G2USA Caliper Paint for $50-$150 depending on whether you choose a standard or custom color. It's a two-part epoxy like coating that levels out to a sprayed on finish as it dries. A buddy of mine is doing his calipers in a G2USA custom Ferrari Red. I can't wait to see them.

MPPSK:
The quick answer is that you can do better for less money by getting the following:

BootMod3 Stage1 tune, a very smooth tune that is much more powerful than the MPPSK tune and feels every bit as stock. It allows you to tune those exhaust burbles or turn them off completely like I did to just hear my quality exhaust. $600

AWE axle-back exhaust has an amazing deep sound that sounds substantial like a high quality automobile. $1,600.

aFe drop-in free flow airfilter. Provides great breathing, a small performance bump and its washable/reusable for ~$80.

Guessing about $300 installation at an Indy shop for exhaust & filter. Tune you can install yourself in 20 minutes with your laptop in your driveway. Simple! Or there are many you can pay a nominal fee for phone support to walk you through it.

So total of $2,600 installed instead of whatever dealer was going to charge for MPPSK!

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 05:48 PM   #5
cjlane
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

I would try to do the M Performance Brakes and Bootmod3. If the dealer credit is in addition to your $5k CAD budget then you could also get the M Performance exhaust from the dealer.
2014 F30 335i xDrive 6MT - Pure Stage 2 GFB DV / Inlet | XDI-35 HPFP | Fuel-It PI w/ AIC and LPFP Upgrade | BM3 | Fabspeed Catted DP | Dinan axle back | VRSF Race FMIC/CP | Dinan CAI | KW V3 | Wiechers CF strut bar | Dinan ARB | Spec stage 2+ clutch SMFW | Full M Performance Interior | M Performance BBK | Vorsteiner VFF107 MPS4S | Jordan Tuned Full E85 - 558WHP/520TQ on Mustang Dyno
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 06:10 PM   #6
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Save the $$$$.... seriously the car won't be any faster than the speed limit and traffic.

Just buy mpe and bm3. There is no need for brake upgrade.

I beat my friend on a lambo... going from LA to Newport beach.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 06:11 PM   #7
sinopath
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I should clarify, the 2k store credit is part of the 5k budget so total 3.75k USD.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 06:22 PM   #8
sinopath
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I usually don't drive fast in this BMW, because of the bad fuel efficiency, and ridiculously high Canadian gas price, plus speed limits of course. But I have to spend the store credit before it expires in April. Thinking of something that make me happy: the sound of MPPSK and the look of M Performance Brakes, if they offer adaptive M suspension I'd go straight for that but unfortunately that's not an option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
Save the $$$$.... seriously the car won't be any faster than the speed limit and traffic.

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 10:44 PM   #9
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
I usually don't drive fast in this BMW, because of the bad fuel efficiency, and ridiculously high Canadian gas price, plus speed limits of course. But I have to spend the store credit before it expires in April. Thinking of something that make me happy: the sound of MPPSK and the look of M Performance Brakes, if they offer adaptive M suspension I'd go straight for that but unfortunately that's not an option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post

Do the MPPSK with the dealer credit. Prioritize the exhaust first over the tune if you have a choice. I had that on my car first and did brakes later.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 11:32 PM   #10
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Do the MPPSK with the dealer credit. Prioritize the exhaust first over the tune if you have a choice. I had that on my car first and did brakes later.
+1

brakes always last if your only use for the car is stop and go on a freeway
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 02:48 PM   #11
sinopath
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Thanks guys, I ordered MPPSK, it's gonna take a few days to arrive. Got 15% off parts + labour. So total ~3.4k USD tax included.
Appreciate 1
TanzM4197.00
      03-13-2020, 07:28 PM   #12
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Thanks guys, I ordered MPPSK, it's gonna take a few days to arrive. Got 15% off parts + labour. So total ~3.4k USD tax included.
Great choice which will lead to a smile every time you start the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 08:45 PM   #13
sinopath
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Got MPPSK installed yesterday, the car sounds amazing.
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...postcount=7354
Appreciate 0