E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > TINT NIGHTMARE!!! Advice please!

09-09-2008, 06:57 PM   #1
RobVe
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 X3

TINT NIGHTMARE!!! Advice please!

I just had my car tinted and the guy did a great job, even with the dot matrix. There IS a big problem however... Every time I put the windows down and up, I'm getting scratches. After just 5 days I've already taken the car back to get a window re-done (no charge), and the installer cleaned the rubber guides again. He even waxed the windows to make them slicker. But after just one day of putting the window down and up, the drivers window has hairline scratches all over it. And the back window has a top-to-bottom scratch so deep you can feel it with your nail. At this rate I'll have to have the car re-tinted every couple months or it's gonna look like sh*t. Could it be the tint I had installed? I went with the Suntek HP - part dye/part metallic (which causes no interference BTW) Or am I expecting too much from a tint job? I can't believe these scratches are normal. Now I did do a search on here and read a few posts about the window guides causing scratches, but the scratches seem too inconsistent for it to be that. Also, the tint tech said the guides ARE felt and was sure these scratches were caused by dirt in the channel. The car is only 4 months old so I find it hard to believe it's that dirty. So I'm back to thinking the tint is crap. But of course I'm now really afraid to spend $500 on ceramic and wind up with scratches there too. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 07:38 PM   #2
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
the rear windows only have plastic and felt on the exterior lining but not the interior lining (no felt interior), so when you roll them down and small sharp particles get caught inbetween, your going to get your tint scratched and thus the small lines on your tint. for the front windows, there is felt inbetween the plastic lining which means its less susceptible to scratching. if you do get scratching, it's probably because the small particles were already there.

don't think its necessarily your tinter's fault in not cleaning it properly... may be just where you live or where you park your car. i rarely put down my windows all the way down, which does help in preventing dirt from getting trapped down there.

oh & no it's not the film's fault.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 08:06 PM   #3
Sea2Ski
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 i SG, 6MT, CWP, BT, NAVI

My tinter took out that inner lining. I have no vertical lines at all.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 08:20 PM   #4
RobVe
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Yeah, I don't think it's the tinter's fault either. I'm just really disappointed that I'm gonna have to either take the tint off, or accept getting more and more scratches and get it re-done regularly. I'm not gonna drive around being afraid to lower my windows. Just curious Sea2Ski, exactly what "inner lining" are you talking about removing?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 09:18 PM   #5
simp0man
Not looking 2 SPEED, just looking GOOD
Cambodia
Rep
Drives: 07 328i

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Hmm I wonder if this will be my issue also when I tint my windows. Each time I wash my car even after it dries once I lower the windows, there is some smeering. Anyone know how I can get rid of that without taking apart my panels?
      09-09-2008, 09:30 PM   #6
RobVe
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

That's a good question. I would definitely do more research or at least broach the subject with your prospective tinters. I was just looking again in better light and there are multiple scratches on EVERY window. And this is after just a few days; and on the back windows which I've only put up and down a few times... So disappointing. I guess my only solution is to find a place that will felt the wipers. Or I just live with the scratches till they become more and more numerous and I re-tint.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 09:32 PM   #7
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
i have felt on the insides of the rear windows. only problem is that i frequently live in areas where temps go over 90-100...which makes the glue that adheres the felt strip to the plastic kinda gooey. i don't have a garage either... but i'm pretty sure you don't have the same problems i do.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 09:37 PM   #8
RobVe
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4kickz View Post
i have felt on the insides of the rear windows. only problem is that i frequently live in areas where temps go over 90-100...which makes the glue that adheres the felt strip to the plastic kinda gooey. i don't have a garage either... but i'm pretty sure you don't have the same problems i do.
Well, the Colorado sun does get pretty intense too. That's actually why I wanted tint in the first place, not really for the aesthetics. Although it does look pretty nice. Except for the freakin scratches.

You have NO problems with the front windows? Did you have them felted? My rear window wipers seem to have the same stock "felt" as the fronts.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 09:53 PM   #9
jmangel1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe

Its possibel the film they are using is thicker (lesser quality believe it or not). I have had my last 3 BMW's done and never a problem. You want SolarGard Tint. Its great material, never a problem. Its thin, harder to install, but if your installer does this all the time, he will have no problem. Any questions message me back. i used to tint windows too..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 09:55 PM   #10
jmangel1
Private
Rep

There is no need to alter the door trim or lining!!!! This is in place for a reason. Try Solar Gard and I guarantee you the problem is gone
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 09:56 PM   #11
RobVe
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmangel1 View Post
There is no need to alter the door trim or lining!!!! This is in place for a reason. Try Solar Gard and I guarantee you the problem is gone
thanks! I'll have to see if someone out here carries that. Really appreciate the help.. everyone.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 10:10 PM   #12
jmangel1
Private
Rep

vist solargard.com for a local installer
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 10:16 PM   #13
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobVe View Post
Well, the Colorado sun does get pretty intense too. That's actually why I wanted tint in the first place, not really for the aesthetics. Although it does look pretty nice. Except for the freakin scratches.

You have NO problems with the front windows? Did you have them felted? My rear window wipers seem to have the same stock "felt" as the fronts.
no problems with the front windows... but yeah like others have said... perhaps try a new tint brand? i don't know. if it gives you the same result well then i guess it's not really tint brand that matters.

ceramic tints are pretty thick... and i've never seen one scratched--more so because more people have some half metal constructed films since they're just cheaper--but perhaps the thicker film might not be as easily scathed...

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 10:25 PM   #14
RobVe
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

yeah, I gotta try something different. As long as my installer refunds me for the job he just did of course. I guess he's better off doing that than having me there every day to replace scratched tint.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 11:39 PM   #15
Minipuck V 2.0
秘書負責保持它真正
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 快車

scratches? do you roll down the windows right away? i think you are suppose to wait a week or so before you should operate the window ...
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2008, 12:03 AM   #16
RobVe
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minipuck V 2.0 View Post
scratches? do you roll down the windows right away? i think you are suppose to wait a week or so before you should operate the window ...
I was told I could use the windows after two days. Even says so in the written instructions they gave me. You think that's part of the problem?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2008, 12:14 AM   #17
Minipuck V 2.0
秘書負責保持它真正
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 快車

the last three times i have gotten my windows tinted ... i didn't roll down the window for at least a week to two weeks ... i dunno ... it might be .... it sounds like its messing up the window tint when you roll it down ...
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2008, 12:51 AM   #18
monacoblue335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, E46 M3

I was warned by my tinter that the rear windows might have some scratches.

There is a company selling something called Tint Protector. I am wondering if anyone has it.

http://www.tintprotector.com
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2008, 02:40 PM   #19
mitch_e90
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by simp0man View Post
Hmm I wonder if this will be my issue also when I tint my windows. Each time I wash my car even after it dries once I lower the windows, there is some smeering. Anyone know how I can get rid of that without taking apart my panels?
yep, I also have that as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2008, 02:58 PM   #20
Enjoiyourlife
Sensei
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

My tinter said they had to put a layer of felt on the window before the tinting.... No problems here
      09-10-2008, 08:48 PM   #21
Sea2Ski
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 i SG, 6MT, CWP, BT, NAVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobVe View Post
.... Just curious Sea2Ski, exactly what "inner lining" are you talking about removing?
If you pull the rubber liner that is up against the window, away from it, and you look down the space where the window goes (You need really good light), you will see a second rubber liner. That is the one that I am referring to. Dirt, sand, etc gets caught in there, and collects. Then when you put the window down, it scratches the tint. My tinter just cut that one out. Was it right to do that? Wrong?

All I know is that I get no vertical scratches.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2008, 09:12 PM   #22
RobVe
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea2Ski View Post
If you pull the rubber liner that is up against the window, away from it, and you look down the space where the window goes (You need really good light), you will see a second rubber liner. That is the one that I am referring to. Dirt, sand, etc gets caught in there, and collects. Then when you put the window down, it scratches the tint. My tinter just cut that one out. Was it right to do that? Wrong?

All I know is that I get no vertical scratches.
Yes!... I finally closed the case. I spoke to the BMW dealer and NOW they tell me they have a preferred installer for tint. Spoke to the installer and he said that second lower wiper needs to be felted. He said they even sand it smooth before applying the felt to insure a solid bond and no glue smearing. Or if I wanted I can have the strip removed. but said they've had no problems with the glue EVER smearing. Whew! this whole thing was exhausting. Thanks everyone for your help.
Appreciate 0