E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > What would YOU do?

09-08-2008, 10:59 AM   #1
MrSteak
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 335i Coupe (6-speed)

Unhappy What would YOU do? (Update)

Sorry if it's a bit long… Just been a bumpy ride with my dealership and I need some outside perspective on the situation.

-I ordered my 08’ 335i on 4/1/08 ($1,000 down)

-My AWESOME salesman gets “let go” right before I leave for Germany.

-I paid the remaining balance on 5/31/08 before leaving for Germany (European Delivery), basically handed the new CA handling my car now a check for $40K+ and he doesn’t even get up, or give me a receipt. (A receptionist offers to make me a copy of the check I handed him… it was a nice gesture.)

-I pick up my car in Germany, it was awesome, and when I got back did a PCD pick up well. (Everyone in Munich, and South Carolina is amazing, and super nice.)

-Back in NY I now need my car to be inspected and registered… so this new CA schedules me to meet with a woman to take care of that, saying “the earlier I come in the more likely I can be out with everything the same day”. When I arrive for this appointment, this woman is a service manager trying to sell me overpriced warranties and shit, and knows nothing of my plates, or registration. (After this visit, the CA calls and asks how it went, and I tell him that she didn’t inspect/register the car and it was a waste of a trip since nothing was accomplished. So he starts yelling at me about how I got a good deal from my original CA, and I was in fact wasting his time.):finger:

-I speak to the service manager again and she “schedules an appt” to have my car registered and inspected. SO I make plans to go in that morning, but wisely I call before going in that morning… no record of my appointment, my car, or anything.

-I drive to the dealer and stop in on the service and ask this service manager in person and she gives me the number of another woman in the service dept, and says that she'll set it all up for me. I call her the next day, and set up an appt for 7am. (She never heard of PCD, so for the first 20 min she said I had to go to the DMV myself and do it.)

-Finally today I arrive at 7am to attempt to get my car inspected and registered, and I meet with a service advisor and he explains that they can’t do anything until 9am, since the DMV representative doesn’t arrive until then. He says that if I come back at 9, everything will be ready, and it should be no more more than 30-45min. (So I come back in 2 hours, and it takes another 2 hours. )

-I pay the DMV rep for the extra plate/registration fees, and she gives me a receipt for the car and its dated like I paid for the car on August 26th. (Today is September 8th, and I handed the CA the check for the full balance on 5/31/08.)

What should I do?
-Nothing
-Complain to a manager?
-Give the Service survey 0’s?
-Call BMWNA?
-_________? (Opinions)

*Maybe I'm jaded from being taken care of in Munich, and South Carolina at the PDC, but I feel like I'm getting screwed around with at my dealer, and I don't trust a word any of the people there say.

Last edited by MrSteak; 10-08-2008 at 08:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 11:36 AM   #2
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Wow, what a contrast from the way I get treated at my dealer. ED is no different from a regular delivery. Either way, everything taken care of competently and immediately, you are made to feel like you are precious customer, they are as excited about your car as you are, etc. It's a significant part of the decision process about what car to buy. My dealer (Machens, Columbia, MO) has some great CAs, and the service dept is honest and helpful.

Points out how important a good CA & SA are. Kind of a potential weak link in the BMW NA dealer system.

Why not call or send an email to BMW NA?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 11:48 AM   #3
bolty
/r/trees
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSteak View Post
I feel like I'm getting screwed around with at my dealer, and I don't trust a word any of the people there say.
They arent there for charity
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 12:02 PM   #4
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Wow that's ridiculous. I'd definitely write a letter to both BMWNA and the dealership owner to let them know how bad your experience has been. that's totally not acceptable
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 12:15 PM   #5
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
If it it isn't too far of a drive I would ask to speak to the GM and explain to him your level of dissatisfaction in how the dealership has treated you through the delivery process. That would at least give him a chance to rectify the situation before you trash them in the survey and to BMWNA. Chances are he/she will just yes you to death and do nothing though.

It's easy to blow off a phone call or chalk that person up as some jerk off who will never be pleased but, much harder to ignore someone when they are standing in front of you.

I would still rape them on the satisfaction survey though. There is pretty much no reason for things to have been that hard or complicated. If they keep getting 5's there is no reason for them to change the way they do things.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 02:12 PM   #6
mitch_e90
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90

Try complaining to BMWNA. But your dealer stamped it in August, and in then end all is well, so not sure BMWNA will give a ****.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 02:22 PM   #7
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
What should I do?
-Nothing
-Complain to a manager?
-Give the Service survey 0’s?
-Call BMWNA?
-_________? (Opinions)
2, 3, & 4
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 02:25 PM   #8
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Actually, on second thought, seems like you might be able argue later on that your warranty started on August 26.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 06:39 AM   #9
MrSteak
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
Points out how important a good CA & SA are. Kind of a potential weak link in the BMW NA dealer system.
I had a great CA. In went in to look at the 335i in 2007 and met him and told him I'd be back in a year to buy it (which I did). And in the mean time I sent my parents to him to buy their car. Ever since he got fired it's been downhill. So true, a good CA goes a long way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolty View Post
They arent there for charity
Heh, well, I don't expect the ED experience every time I show up, but being lied to and having my time wasted over and over shouldn't be tolerated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod2448 View Post
If it it isn't too far of a drive I would ask to speak to the GM and explain to him your level of dissatisfaction in how the dealership has treated you through the delivery process. That would at least give him a chance to rectify the situation before you trash them in the survey and to BMWNA. Chances are he/she will just yes you to death and do nothing though.
From what I hear... this dealership's management seperates themselves from the CA's, so they're less liable and can just deny everything. (It's a privately owned dealership.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
Actually, on second thought, seems like you might be able argue later on that your warranty started on August 26.
OOoOOoh that's a good idea, kinda curious about that myself.

Thanks for all the feedback. I think I'll try and contact my original CA who's somewhere else now and see if I can get an inside opinion on the situation. Then I'll probably write BMWNA a letter. (Been meaning to thank them for the great ED experience... guess I'll have to end the letter with how bad it is in the states. )
      09-09-2008, 08:37 AM   #10
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
From what I hear... this dealership's management seperates themselves from the CA's, so they're less liable and can just deny everything. (It's a privately owned dealership.)
Regardless of whether they keep their distance from the CA's or not he is the GM and is ultimately responsible for what goes on at his dealership. Like I said he will probably blow you off but, you should at least give him a chance to make nice before trying to roll the BMWNA bus over him.

That said I'd be surprised if BMWNA did much about it either...

I'd probably just take my business elsewhere. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 02:16 PM   #11
MrSteak
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod2448 View Post
Regardless of whether they keep their distance from the CA's or not he is the GM and is ultimately responsible for what goes on at his dealership. Like I said he will probably blow you off but, you should at least give him a chance to make nice before trying to roll the BMWNA bus over him.

That said I'd be surprised if BMWNA did much about it either...

I'd probably just take my business elsewhere. Good luck.
Heh, thanks... Just a rocky start to what will at least be a 4 year (service) relationship.
      10-08-2008, 08:31 PM   #12
MrSteak
Captain
United_States
Rep

UPDATE...

So I sent BMW a letter talking about how great the service was in Munich, and during PCD, and how it's been nothing like that at my local dealer. I recieved a call this week from someone at BMW NA and I talked to them about the situation. During the call, they asked if I'd want anything, and I said no since I'm not the type to complain and demand stuff, I just wanted the good people to get their credit and point out how my dealership was screwing with me.

At the end they gave me a gift certificate for BMW's online shop which was really nice. Now they're gonna forward my letter to my local dealer so who knows, maybe they'll clean up their act or continue to treat me like shit... who knows.
      10-09-2008, 03:55 PM   #13
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
At the end they gave me a gift certificate for BMW's online shop which was really nice. Now they're gonna forward my letter to my local dealer so who knows, maybe they'll clean up their act or continue to treat me like shit... who knows.
Good news about the gift certificate. Use it at some other dealership than the local one. With the letter being forwarded I wouldn't expect you to get a very cordial reception there when you need servicing. Should you get a survey form from the local dealership I'd suggest a flat 0 across the board. If there is a section for comments I'd explain exactly why, make a copy of it and send one copy to BMWNA and one to the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 08:20 PM   #14
MrSteak
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
Good news about the gift certificate. Use it at some other dealership than the local one. With the letter being forwarded I wouldn't expect you to get a very cordial reception there when you need servicing. Should you get a survey form from the local dealership I'd suggest a flat 0 across the board. If there is a section for comments I'd explain exactly why, make a copy of it and send one copy to BMWNA and one to the dealership.

Well, I'm a bit of a giving person, and I'd give my dealership a chance to do the right thing. Today a service manager left me a voicemail saying that he was sorry about the bad service, and they really try to offer top notch service, and to call him back and see if they can do better for next time.

It was a nice gesture, so hopefully I don't get screwed around again. As for the gift certificate... it says I can use it at the online merchandise shop, OR the catalog (but I have no idea what catalog they're talking about). I'd much rather use it on a Msport steering wheel, or some pedals and a shifter... opposed to bmw shirts and jackets. But it's all good, I just hope future services will be hassle free.
      10-10-2008, 01:15 AM   #15
zetaxi165
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 335, TiAg

Is there another BMW dealership in your area that you could use to service your car?

If so, I would go to the dealership, wait around till the CA has some potential customers with him and then go upto him and sternly tell him off, for his lack of service and manners and that you don't appreciate the way he shouted at you after you paid the full amount. Do not swear.

When the customer leaves, a quick "up yours mate" to the CA will be a good ending.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 01:20 AM   #16
bsamoul
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetaxi165 View Post
Is there another BMW dealership in your area that you could use to service your car?

If so, I would go to the dealership, wait around till the CA has some potential customers with him and then go upto him and sternly tell him off, for his lack of service and manners and that you don't appreciate the way he shouted at you after you paid the full amount. Do not swear.

When the customer leaves, a quick "up yours mate" to the CA will be a good ending.
Nah man, you don't want to do that. They're trying to make good of what happened. They just had to learn the hard way by BMW NA telling them so.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 03:06 AM   #17
MrSteak
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetaxi165 View Post

There's another friendly dealership, but it's not as nice, and doesn't have some of the perks of this one. I'm done with the CA's there anyway... so after this little mess, I'll give the service dept one more chance. I feel like the letter I wrote to BMW NA took care of the CA that was messing with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsamoul View Post
Nah man, you don't want to do that. They're trying to make good of what happened. They just had to learn the hard way by BMW NA telling them so.
That's what I'm planning on doing. They got caught, now hopefully they stop half-ass'ing it and do the right thing.