F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > F30/F32/F33 Classifieds (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > Vendor and Seller Review/Feedback Forum > safest way to buy online when priseller is shipping?
Studio RSR

01-29-2020, 05:39 AM   #1
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M.G. w red interior

I've been a little hesitant buying from members when they have to ship the product, obviously the safest way is local meetup. I almost got scammed by the dude who wanted payment in walmart giftcards so he can help support and firther his wifes career, lol.

besides the obvious and looking into the sellers profile, not his first post or past negative transactions, what's the best way to go about this? have them send a pic with username and date while they are at ups/fed ex shipping the item? sorry if this seems like a stupid question or common sense, but I've never purchased from a private seller where they've had to ship. I read a few threads up, to not use zelle or venmo, but to use paypal.. does paypal have some sort of hold on the funds until both parties are satisfied? I just feel like I'm missing out on a lot and not sure if I'm just being overly paranoid or what.. Thanks guys!
      01-30-2020, 10:31 AM   #2
oranga
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335 6mt

Paypal is definitely the way to go. And not sure since you didn't mention it, but make sure you dont send money as "gift/family". Yeah you'll have to pay 3% (you can always try to negotiate with the seller who pays that 3%) but if he tries to take the money and run, you can open a case and get a refund. If he refuses to use paypal even if you offer to cover the fee, walk away.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 12:25 PM   #3
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
I have been dealing on forums for many, many years, have purchased hundreds of items from private sellers using PayPal, & actually only got burned 2x - both times the item I received was not as represented. Both times PayPal refunded my money when the seller refused to rectify the situation...

There used to be a PAD 'Pay After Delivery' option you could set in your PP account, but quite certain that will only work if the Seller is accepting payments in this manner. Generally,PayPal will NOT hold your funds until you receive your items and confirm that everything is OK. Your payment goes directly into their account as soon as you send it

With that scenario the buyer could easily receive the item, state he never did (but secretly keep the item) and then the seller would be out the money AND his items

Works just like you were purchasing an item from any online store or actually purchasing at the store. No one gives you the goods without you 1st paying (no COD)

And frankly, as a seller of many items big and small over the years, I would NEVER ship an item until the funds actually clear my account

Basically, as a buyer you need to do your due diligence researching the seller and the items shown till you are satisfied enough to fork over your $$ If a deal seems to good to be true - it usually is...

Yes, you still may get screwed - but PayPal almost always sides with the Buyer in a dispute so you will get refunded eventually. It's just the cost of doing business online - if you don't want to take that risk, no matter how small = don't buy items needing shipped from Private sellers. As always there are no guarantees in life

You can check my rating = excellent. Most times my buyers send the money as gift so no fees for me without us even talking about it & they trust me based on my rep. But I never demand it - I'm fine if they pay regular way & just add 3-4% to cover the fees = whatever makes my buyer happy

I will only deal thru PP, not using any other method of payment when buying. If seller no agree - I no buy, simple as that
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit

Last edited by 1QuikWS6; 02-06-2020 at 12:51 PM..
Appreciate 0