F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > How good is xDrive in snow ?
Studio RSR

01-21-2020, 06:55 AM   #1
B6WAF
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive Touring (2023)

How good is xDrive in snow ?

I've never had a proper performance car with 4WD, I'm currently driving a RWD F32. Where I live is 700ft above sea level in the north of England and the last half mile from the main road to my road can be tricky in snow, such that I have fitted winter tyres for quite a few winters now.

I'm considering an M340i xDrive for my next car, which happens to have 4WD. The current thinking seems to be that a 2WD car with winter tyres (like mine) will still perform better on snow than a 4WD car with summer tyres.

Can anybody tell me how capable the xDrive system is on snow (with summer tyres) ?

Many thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 06:59 AM   #2
fantanas
First Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: F33 435d

Quote:
Originally Posted by B6WAF View Post
I've never had a proper performance car with 4WD, I'm currently driving a RWD F32. Where I live is 700ft above sea level in the north of England and the last half mile from the main road to my road can be tricky in snow, such that I have fitted winter tyres for quite a few winters now.

I'm considering an M340i xDrive for my next car, which happens to have 4WD. The current thinking seems to be that a 2WD car with winter tyres (like mine) will still perform better on snow than a 4WD car with summer tyres.

Can anybody tell me how capable the xDrive system is on snow (with summer tyres) ?

Many thanks.
It will probably get you the last mile, but it is not safe. Xdrive will get you going but you won't have control or traction in general. The proper way is <7 degrees C you put winter tires, whatever the amount of wheels you get power to are.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 07:03 AM   #3
B6WAF
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantanas View Post
It will probably get you the last mile, but it is not safe. Xdrive will get you going but you won't have control or traction in general. The proper way is <7 degrees C you put winter tires, whatever the amount of wheels you get power to are.
Thanks. That was what I thought.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 07:03 AM   #4
Busted
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

You are right in saying that a 2wd with winter tyres would be far better than a 4wd with summer tyres

Xdrive is pretty good with winter tyres though.
Appreciate 2
B6WAF77.50
335dX434.50
      01-21-2020, 07:08 AM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
xDrive doesn't help you stop. Tyres are the key for all types of drive systems, if you have conditions where grip evaporates.

My take, if you can't stop, best not to get moving. Many a driver has proved he can get moving on summer tyres, but regrets the fact, with bent metal, when he can't stop or control the car.
Appreciate 8
B6WAF77.50
Oceanic165.50
RobUK2821.00
Stainy265.00
      01-21-2020, 08:02 AM   #6
LukaUK
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 335d Xdrive

As above, X Drive will get you moving but with snow its the stopping part that you have to worry about.
I have set of winter tires on now and it feels better for current temperatures.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 08:05 AM   #7
B6WAF
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks everyone

OK, thanks for your replies. I knew that was the answer of course, but I was just curious in case anyone claimed the xDrive cars were brilliant in snow (which I wasn't really expecting).

I guess that means another set of spare wheels as I can't imagine my current ones will fit.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 08:09 AM   #8
fantanas
First Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

Quote:
OK, thanks for your replies. I knew that was the answer of course, but I was just curious in case anyone claimed the xDrive cars were brilliant in snow (which I wasn't really expecting).

I guess that means another set of spare wheels as I can't imagine my current ones will fit.
What are your current ones and what car are you getting?

If the snow is rare, you could get snow socks.

But at the end of the day if you have a lot of days <7 degrees you should get winter tires, even if there is no snow.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 08:18 AM   #9
B6WAF
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

But at the end of the day if you have a lot of days <7 degrees you should get winter tires, even if there is no snow.
My current winter wheels are 36.11.2.289.714 Style 415 with Pirelli W240 Sotto Zero 225/45/VR18. I don't rate these tyres half as highly as Bridgestone Blizzaks a few years ago.

Snow socks are great, but not with M Sport suspension - I once tried some, took all the skin off my knuckles, and failed to get them on. My wife loves them on her Honda Jazz.

I'm thinking about the M340i later this year, so it's next winter we're talking about - I was just weighing up the pros and cons of xDrive. I've had winter tyres for years and will continue.

Thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 08:20 AM   #10
fantanas
First Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

My current winter wheels are 36.11.2.289.714 Style 415 with Pirelli W240 Sotto Zero 225/45/VR18. I don't rate these tyres half as highly as Bridgestone Blizzaks a few years ago.

Snow socks are great, but not with M Sport suspension - I once tried some, took all the skin off my knuckles, and failed to get them on. My wife loves them on her Honda Jazz.

I'm thinking about the M340i later this year, so it's next winter we're talking about - I was just weighing up the pros and cons of xDrive. I've had winter tyres for years and will continue.

Thanks for your help.
The xdrive seats a bit higher up (or at least it used to), so you should be able to fit your hands in there
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 08:25 AM   #11
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

I'm afraid it's a new set...

F3x rims won't fit the G2x platform. Bolt PCD and hub diameter are different.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 08:47 AM   #12
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:

I really wouldn't bother. If you drive (or if it's too bad, don't) to the conditions you'll be ok. We really don't have enough snow to worry about separate tyres unless you live or regularly go to high ground.

I live on the edge of The Peak District and drive across it regularly, last year we had one sprinkling that lasted a morning. This year not seen a single snow flake.

If we get heavy snow too many others go out on summer tyres anyway, so you're no safer. It's no good you stopping quickly if no one else can.

In 30 years of driving in Derbyshire I've probably fitted snow tyres twice. They were ok, but more of a "look where I can go" novelty.

I've been stuck unable to get started in 2 wheel drive on summers, but by judging the conditions correctly, for the very occasional drive where I might need it, XDrive will get me moving. Once on the move I'll judge it how I always have. Make sure I have loads of space to stop, go slow and go the long way to avoid steep hills.

For the couple of days a year it might happen, it's not much hassle.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 09:03 AM   #13
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
If we get heavy snow too many others go out on summer tyres anyway, so you're no safer. It's no good you stopping quickly if no one else can.
I'm lost for words...

Thankfully I know different, from experience. Where both in defensive driving you can often protect your own space, and due to better braking and car control on winter tyres, take avoidance measures (which is limited by summer tyres) to save being clobbered by someone one else.

Of course you are not without risk, but stand a much better chance of returning home without incident.

BTW, it is not just snow, stand a much better chance on (black) ice as well.
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2020, 09:14 AM   #14
WaleeF30
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi E92

Like everyone else said, awd gets you going easily (as long as you're not throttle happy and start spinning in place) but stopping is the same on both rwd and fwd. tires are a biiiiig factor into the equation.

I do want to add that I find going up snowy hills with an awd easier.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 10:05 AM   #15
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I'm lost for words...

Thankfully I know different, from experience. Where both in defensive driving you can often protect your own space, and due to better braking and car control on winter tyres, take avoidance measures (which is limited by summer tyres) to save being clobbered by someone one else.

Of course you are not without risk, but stand a much better chance of returning home without incident.

BTW, it is not just snow, stand a much better chance on (black) ice as well.
Don't know how I've survived for 30 years. Must just be lucky eh?

So I'm staying at home in the 2 days heavy snow we get every three years, and you're out in your winter tyres. And somehow you're safer?

Not sure how you protect your own space when driving through towns and cities in heavy snow. When I had snow tyres on three years ago I got stuck the same as everyone else. Traffic jams very rarely differentiate. You do it your way, I'll do it mine......let's see if I stay "lucky"! Maybe someone will crash into my living room while I'm staying off the roads.

Last edited by Goneinsixtyseconds; 01-21-2020 at 02:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 10:10 AM   #16
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

And they do very very little on black ice. Nothing for the grooves to grab on to. We have winters on the wife's Q7 due to a trip to the Alps where they're required by law.

This year in the Highlands I went down a long driveway with black ice that you couldn't see at about 15 mph. At the end I skidded for 50 yards, they did so little I didn't even realise I was skidding at first, it didn't slow us down at all, I thought the brakes had failed. We only stopped when the ice on the road finished.

By all means get some, but don't pretend that in most of the UK that with a modicum of caution and sensible driving (or staying in during the worst conditions) you can survive perfectly well without them. Most people have done for years.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 10:21 AM   #17
330XDave
Major
Rep
Drives: 330d xDrive Touring

Quote:
I really wouldn't bother. If you drive (or if it's too bad, don't) to the conditions you'll be ok. We really don't have enough snow to worry about separate tyres unless you live or regularly go to high ground.

I live on the edge of The Peak District and drive across it regularly, last year we had one sprinkling that lasted a morning. This year not seen a single snow flake.

In 30 years of driving in Derbyshire I've probably fitted snow tyres twice. They were ok, but more of a "look where I can go" novelty.

I've been stuck unable to get started in 2 wheel drive on summers, but by judging the conditions correctly, for the very occasional drive where I might need it, XDrive will get me moving. Once on the move I'll judge it how I always have. Make sure I have loads of space to stop, go slow and go the long way to avoid steep hills.

For the couple of days a year it might happen, it's not much hassle.
Similar to you, I also live in Derbyshire not too far away from the Peaks. I agree with what you're saying, it's a lot of expense and faffing about for very little if any time where they are a major benefit. Yes they might be a little better below 7 degrees but as long as you don't drive like a hooligan you'll be fine on summer tyres in anything other than snow.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 10:30 AM   #18
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Don't know how I've survived for 30 years. Must just be lucky eh?

So I'm staying at home in the 2 days heavy snow we get every three years, and you're out in your winter tyres. And somehow you're safer?

Not sure how you protect your own space when driving through towns and cities in heavy snow. When I had snow tyres on three years ago I got stuck the same as everyone else. Traffic jams very rarely differentiate. You do it your way, I'll do it mine......let's see if I stay "lucky"! Maybe someone will crash into my living while I'm staying off the roads.
I would discuss, but with a response like that...
Appreciate 2
Hooded1669.00
      01-21-2020, 10:47 AM   #19
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

I wonder what winter tyres people are running. My E90 on Bridgestone runflats was useless in 1cm of snow. On Nokian winters, it was perfect in deep snow, had no issues on a black ice on a slight gradient where many were abandoning their cars and pointlessly spinning wheels (we watched it from a restaurant for a good hour) and drove normally over heavily compacted snow/ice with temps around -10. That all happened the day after I had them fitted and they saw me through several more winters.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 11:09 AM   #20
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
I wonder what winter tyres people are running. My E90 on Bridgestone runflats was useless in 1cm of snow. On Nokian winters, it was perfect in deep snow, had no issues on a black ice on a slight gradient where many were abandoning their cars and pointlessly spinning wheels (we watched it from a restaurant for a good hour) and drove normally over heavily compacted snow/ice with temps around -10. That all happened the day after I had them fitted and they saw me through several more winters.
I had Bridgestone Blizzak LM-32 (16") on my F31 2WD. Didn't really like them...too noisy and then the top rubber started to pull way! Having said that they got me up and down 18% road in Austria in the snow.....frigging terrifying experience.

Currently running Conti WinterContract 830p (18"), much quieter but can't say much about the snow as it don't snow much in London! Will find out when in Europe later.
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2020, 11:26 AM   #21
McBeemer
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 335d Xd MSport Touring

Apart from slightly limited ground clearance, my 335d with winter tyres felt like a Land Rover in snowy conditions !! One of my neighbours has a rear wheel drive 440i & I took him out for a spin in mine to demonstrate winter tyres ….. I live in Penicuik, which is notorious locally for snowy conditions & I took the car into the worst possible situations when we had snow at the beginning of last year …. As Highland Pete says, its the stopping that is important

Gone: 2015 F31 320d M Sport Xdrive Auto
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 11:56 AM   #22
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Agreed, I remember running winters for the two beasts of east we've had and the tyres saved my bacon on several occasions.

The great thing about winters is you can drive on the roads most can't get on when it comes, I have two choices here the main roads on the valley bottom or the moorland roads over the top with winters it's great you just drive over the moors whilst most people are stuck in the gridlock below.