Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums AUSTRALIA G20 M340i Driver profiles and Connected Drive

01-06-2020, 12:38 AM   #1
TikiTourer
Old Member
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M340i, Mineral White

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2013 125i  [0.00]
G20 M340i Driver profiles and Connected Drive

Hi folks, has anyone tried to set up driver profiles on their G20; M340i in particular?

This has to be done by logging into your Connected Drive account.
So I set up the new profile and logged into my connected drive account in the car. As soon as the profile was activated, it changed the language to Chinese.
I managed to get it back to English by locking and unlocking the car and then selecting the guest profile. I then wrote down the I-drive steps to get to the driver profile language settings (which is a different setting to the Language settings under "car".) I then locked and unlocked the car, selected my own profile, it changed to Chinese, and I then went thru the controller steps steps that I had written down and managed to change my own profile back to English. It then worked fine and in English, on both my own profile and the guest profile.

Then today, I thought I would give my wife a driver profile..so in the car I set up a new driver profile for her. It changed the language to Chinese, but as I knew how to get it back to English no problem. I then synchronized her profile to the second car key.
But then..I got an email from Connected Drive to say the car had been deleted from my own connected drive account. wtf...
So I get my phone, log in to the app, and sure enough..no car. So I added my car by VIN number and thought all was good.
But nope..my wife then got an email from connected drive to say the M340i had been deleted from her connected driver account.

So it seems that a car can be associated with only one connected drive account and if you associate the car with another account it deletes it from the previous account. But you need separate connected drive accounts for different driver profiles. Scream.......

My car has software 07.2019.70 and it says that no upgrades available.

I wouldn't think I'm the only one using this stuff, but would be interested to know if anyone else has similar/same problems.
It amazes me that this stuff occurs; it would seem that this functionality has never ever been tested before release.

And as an aside, my 3D emote view worked for about a week, then just stopped. Connects to the server, but then wont connect to the car. The lights, lock/unlock and horn functions dont work from the app either Oh, and the remote location thinks the car is where it was parked in town a week ago. I've reset the Idrive and cleared out the App memory cache and data cache on my phone but still no go..
I'll go see my my dealer tomorrow......
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 07:55 AM   #2
Sergeant Skinner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i XDrive

Did your dealer spec the Chinese Language Option for iDrive? Whether you asked for it or not, sounds like this would be the issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 09:26 AM   #3
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i RWD M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TikiTourer View Post
So it seems that a car can be associated with only one connected drive account and if you associate the car with another account it deletes it from the previous account. But you need separate connected drive accounts for different driver profiles. Scream.......
Yep one connected drive account per car (vin no.) but each key can have a driver profile assigned to it. I created a connected account for my wife (via the web page) but did not associate a car to it. Then in the car I just logged into her new account and synchronised to the spare key. Works fine but you cannot use that account to see any car details via the app as the car (vin no.) is not associated with that account.

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 07:30 PM   #4
TikiTourer
Old Member
New Zealand
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2013 125i  [0.00]
Fixed thanks

Thanks for the help, that sorted it; I deleted my wife's profile in the car, didn't associate the car with her profile, and logged in and all was good.

Also fixed the remote services at the same time. I deleted my car from my connected drive account using the web site. Also deleted the app from my phone. Logged out of web site and back in again, and then added my car back into my profile. Reinstalled app, and all the remote services started working again....happy as now.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 07:35 PM   #5
TikiTourer
Old Member
New Zealand
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2013 125i  [0.00]
Chinese language

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBJ View Post
Did your dealer spec the Chinese Language Option for iDrive? Whether you asked for it or not, sounds like this would be the issue.
Yes, seems like all AU/NZ cars come from the factory with Chinese language as default for I-Drive. Very painful as if you add a new driver profile, it defaults the profile Chinese even though the initial guest profile is in English. It takes a fair while to find the language settings in the Chinese menu to get it back to English..but I've now written down the steps.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 07:37 PM   #6
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 Comp xDrive

Question related to the second key. It's been on my wife's key chain since I bought the car. It's never been used to access the car. All my settings and everything were aways done with my key and under my profile.

If I take her key and enter the car (would be the first time) do I just log in as my profile and all my settings will be exactly how I had them? I've been nervous to try just in case it forgets some settings and I have to go through the process of setting things up again.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 09:08 PM   #7
TikiTourer
Old Member
New Zealand
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2013 125i  [0.00]
2nd key

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Question related to the second key. It's been on my wife's key chain since I bought the car. It's never been used to access the car. All my settings and everything were aways done with my key and under my profile.

If I take her key and enter the car (would be the first time) do I just log in as my profile and all my settings will be exactly how I had them? I've been nervous to try just in case it forgets some settings and I have to go through the process of setting things up again.
Yes, unlock or enter the car with the 2nd key, select your profile. It will say the key isnt registered to that profile, and ask you to log in to your account. Once you have done that, you then set up the recognition of the key in I drive Car, driver profiles, driver recognition, with vehicle key.
If its a good day, the 2nd key should also be assigned to your profile. Worked on my car ok before I set up a separate profile for my wife.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 11:12 PM   #8
Sergeant Skinner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i XDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBJ View Post
Yes, seems like all AU/NZ cars come from the factory with Chinese language as default for I-Drive. Very painful as if you add a new driver profile, it defaults the profile Chinese even though the initial guest profile is in English. It takes a fair while to find the language settings in the Chinese menu to get it back to English..but I've now written down the steps.
Spot on! My dealer just "went ahead and added it", and I told them to remove it from the build spec before it hit 150 status thankfully. Their logic was that it didn't hurt resale - I don't think the market pool is so small to need that.

I don't need it but as an IT person, I freaking knew some weird bug would arise from such an option. Turns out I was right after all.

Also, note that this option isn't available in other markets as an add-on so it'll be a fat chance before anyone at BMW realises the bug.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 02:27 PM   #9
Origin17
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3

Quote:
Yes . I have the exact same issue when adding my profile on my X3 in my Australian vehicle. I drive changes to Chinese. Not sure what steps you need to do to change it back to English?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 11:16 PM   #10
TikiTourer
Old Member
New Zealand
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2013 125i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origin17 View Post
Quote:
Yes . I have the exact same issue when adding my profile on my X3 in my Australian vehicle. I drive changes to Chinese. Not sure what steps you need to do to change it back to English?
I suggest you use the spare key and select the guest profile. It will all revert to English Then write down each of the menu steps needed to change the language settings. Make sure you note the steps for language settings for both the car and the personal assistant.as you need to change both.
Then change back to Chinese language on your own profile and follow the steps that you wrote down...the menu items are in exactly the same locations in both languages.. and select English.

But if you don't want to do that, take it back to your dealer....
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 04:10 AM   #11
Origin17
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3

Thanks. Worked perfectly.
Appreciate 0