E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > P0546, p0526 & p0015

01-05-2020, 11:15 PM   #1
mcurrier79
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

P0546, p0526 & p0015

First post...

I've had this car for almost 2 years. Other than the typical wear parts I haven't had too much trouble. That is until recently.

It started misfiring and was throwing a P0304 code (misfire on cylinder #4). First I changed the plugs (NGK Laser Double Platinum 95712 gapped to 0.044) but it was still misfiring so I changed the coils (Delphi GN10571). That took care of the misfire.

That pretty much sums up the recent maintenance. I have prefaced with that not knowing if somehow it has caused the issues I now have since the new issues happened shortly after I changed them. Now to the current issue.

I had the codes cleared (my current reader won't clear codes on this car but does on other cars). I drove it to my parents in KY (roughly 200 miles round trip) and the light came back on. I pulled the codes again and now I am getting the below codes.

P0526 - Cooling Fan Speed Sensor Circuit

P0546 - Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Circuit High

P0015 - Camshaft Position-Timing Over-Retarded

The fan seems to turn on and off like it should so at first I thought it may just be a sensor causing the P0526 but then P0546 is also temperature related so the two may have a common cause. From what I have read, P0015 may be caused by the 2 exhaust valve solenoids being dirty. I've never had a problem with these on other cars I've had so I'm not sure what they do or how they work but I am assuming that since they are for the exhaust, these may be the cause of the P0546 detecting a high exhaust temp. Before I start pulling parts and either cleaning or replacing them, I just want to see if there may be a common cause. I'd rather clean/replace one part than multiple.

I would like to add that I have also recently sprung a coolant leak (before the misfire). I have been keeping it topped off so as to avoid it overheating and generally will top it off as soon as the low coolant warning comes on. I see the wet spots under the car but haven't been able to locate the leak itself. I am not getting coolant in the oil so it's gotta be a hose leaking but I want to get the codes fixed before I hunt down the leak. I will need to get emissions tested soon and any error code will cause the test to fail but leaking coolant isn't an automatic fail.

Any and all help would be highly appreciated.
      01-06-2020, 12:24 AM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Welcome to the Forum!

What engine do you have in your 2011 328i? N51 SULEV, N52 ULEV, OTHER? Is the car in question NOT a 2011 328i? What Brand/ Model Scan Tool are you using to read those codes?

Reason I ask is that although the P-code P0015 has the Definition you provide, given in BOTH Bentley & BMW Fault Code Lookup, I do NOT find either of the other codes (P0526 or P0546) for any DME used in any 328i I am aware of. P0546, related to Exhaust Temp Sensor, is identified by BMW Fault Code Lookup for Diesel engines, and for certain "B37-B58" newer BMW engines.

Only thing I can state related to information you have provided and questions you have asked:
In the N51 & N52 328i E9x engines, there are TWO cams which have independent VANOS cam timing, and P0015 relates to the Exhaust Cam (NOT the Intake Cam).

Common causes of "Over-retarded" Exhaust cam are:
Low Oil Pressure (often due to improperly-installed or damaged oil filter cartridge), dirty or malfunctioning Exhaust Cam VANOS Solenoid (which controls oil supply to the VANOS Unit mounted on timing chain sprocket for Exhaust Cam), Faulty wiring or connector related to the Exhaust VANOS Solenoid, or faulty wiring/ connector related to the Exhaust Cam Position Sensor.

Over-retarded Exhaust VANOS is NOT related to Exhaust Gas Temperature AFAIK on any 2011 328i with N51 or N52.

George
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 09:22 AM   #3
mcurrier79
United_States
Rep

Thank you for replying...

According to RealOEM.com my engine is N52N.

The code reader I have is the Innova 3020. It's just a cheap reader I picked up at Autozone for another vehicle a few years ago. I do have a K+DCAN cable being delivered today so I can get a more detailed scan. Do you have any recommendations for the software to use? At the moment, I am not interested in coding, just diagnostics. If possible free software would be best atleast until I get the car fixed.
      01-06-2020, 10:17 AM   #4
AngelFarelli
Second Lieutenant
Abu Dhabi
Rep
Drives: BMW n52 e90

Welcome to the forum!! 🥳Get a legit code reader otherwise your codes are meaningless !! We cannot help you until you do this ! However you can do some preventative maintenance to help negate the issue in the mean time ... when was your last oil change ? May lead to high temps. Definitely find where your coolant leak is. Is it leaking before or after the engine block? Usually coolant leaks can get onto sensors or wires and give you issues you should start by fixing your coolant leak. It's probably one of three hoses. (1)Your upper radiator hose ,,(2)the hose that runs from the upper radiator hose to the expansion tank or (3)the hose that runs from the cylinder head to the thermostat. These are the weakest hoses check those first. Download inpa and get a obd cable for proper diagnoses. I had a similar cheap diagnoses tool like yourself and found it useless when it gave off non bmw codes. After replacing my spark plugs and ignition coils I had misfiring codes coming from my old device like yourself but after I properly cleared them with proper device it was actually okay. I'm assuming the same for you so don't stress but definitely be worried. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 10:31 AM   #5
mcurrier79
United_States
Rep

As previously stated... I have a k+dcan cable being delivered today. It should be delivered by the time I get off work. J0k3r5 posted a link to alot of software last week. I am going to try them out this evening.
      01-06-2020, 12:24 PM   #6
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcurrier79 View Post
As previously stated... I have a k+dcan cable being delivered today. It should be delivered by the time I get off work. J0k3r5 posted a link to alot of software last week. I am going to try them out this evening.
BimmerGeeks:
BimmerGeeks K+DCAN Cable, and Software Download Links:
https://www.bimmergeeks.net/

Software Download Links, FREE (MEGA):

A. BMW Standard Tools -- INPA diagnostic software & NCS Coding Software:
https://mega.nz/#F!zw5V0IrD!08GgdgH0AtxZcWh62_76xA

B. E89 Datens -- Data files for E9x models, used for Standard Tools & ISTA:
https://mega.nz/#F!D9RSzQDQ!kfkRj1wG6VHRtemuG7Lv0g
Download the E89.rar 4.51GB file ONLY

C. Rheingold, ISTA (D) -- Diagnostic Software, INSTALL LAST:
https://mega.nz/#!a1wUmYCD!G0C3_Hsg9...o9uQ4EpxjI8oZs

Since your goal is to get quick diagnostics with Fault Codes, Definitions, FF Data & Fault Details in ALL Modules, but primarily DME, I would recommend downloading ONLY A & B at this time (omitting 10GB ISTA (D) download now) and I will be glad to assist if you need help (1) Downloading, (2) Unzipping, (3) Installing, (4) Setting up K+DCAN Cable, (5) Connecting INPA to vehicle & to DME, and (6) Reading Fault Code Info in DME, including using Google Translate to translate German Definitions to English:
https://translate.google.com/#view=h...te&sl=de&tl=en

That may sound complicated, but it's easy if you just take it a step-at-a-time, and when you see what INPA can do, you'll be glad you took the time to get it setup.

Also I attach a pdf containing links to "E9x References", with links to TIS Online BMW Service Manual (particularly good for Electrical circuits), Bentley Manual in searchable pdf format, BimmerGeeks Links, etc.

George
Attached Images
File Type: pdf E9x References.pdf (218.0 KB, 50 views)
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 02:21 PM   #7
mcurrier79
United_States
Rep

The cable has been delivered and I've remoted into my laptop at home and installed the software. I will pull the error codes and post them assuming everything works when I get home from work.
      01-06-2020, 05:30 PM   #8
mcurrier79
United_States
Rep

The only thing I could get to read the codes was BMW Logger. Below is the readout.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Error Codes Present On Monday, January 6, 2020 5:19:11 PM

Code,Type,Description

DME,DME Number: 08613000
2A7A,8,Unknown
2A7C,8,Unknown
2A79,8,Unknown
2A98,1,Crankshaft-inlet camshaft, correlation
2A87,8,Exhaust VANOS, mechanism
--------------------------------------------------------------------
      01-06-2020, 10:02 PM   #9
mcurrier79
United_States
Rep

Had to uninstall and then reinstall and now it works.

I pulled the codes from 2 different menus since I wasn't for sure how to pull them so hopefully one of them has the information needed. I have attached both outputs for review.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf INPA Error Codes - 20200106.pdf (10.8 KB, 72 views)
Attached Files
File Type: txt INPA Error Detail 20200106.txt (6.3 KB, 73 views)
      01-07-2020, 10:56 PM   #10
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Attached is a pdf that adds some translation and highlight to pertinent portions of the INPA Fault Detail (FIVE Fault Codes) you provided yesterday.

Your INPA connection to the DME to read Fault Codes with Freeze Frame Data (Fehlerspeicher mit Freeze Frame..) indicates five different codes related to the VANOS System, where basically over the last 1,000 km, there have been 7 different occasions where one or more fault codes were saved. On TWO of those 7 occasions, Fault Codes related to BOTH Intake & Exhaust were saved at same mileage. On THREE occasions, the single fault related to Intake ONLY, and on TWO other occasions the fault related to Exhaust ONLY.

ALL FIVE Faults were NOT Currently Present when you scanned for Fault Codes at 164706 km, and any of the Faults, if present, would light a warning (MIL) lamp. Most often, the code was saved at idle with a warm engine, and RPM was NEVER > 1408 RPM. That suggests possibly an oil pressure issue where warm oil and low RPM = LOW Oil Pressure, and low oil pressure causes Over-retarded VANOS Cam Position.

So what I would suggest is to save ALL Fault Detail information related to those 5 faults, CLEAR the fault codes, and wait for the SES to light again, and then re-read the codes (connect to MSV80 DME and Select F4 > Fehlerspeicher with Freeze Frame Data. Save a screenprint of any screen showing Fault Definitions & Details, and post the screen here for help.

The earliest mileage/km at which a VANOS code was set was 163,816 km or 101,790 Miles, so the question arises: WHAT occurred under the hood at that mileage? Was the oil changed at about that mileage? Have you checked to see of the oil filter was properly installed, along with the small o-ring on the "Spool" upon which the filter element is mounted? Has the filter collapsed? Any of those things will cause reduced Oil Pressure, particularly when the RPM is low (idle) and Oil temperature is elevated (viscosity LOW).

Please let us know what you find,
George
Attached Images
File Type: pdf INPA Error Detail 20200106, GHB Annot.pdf (71.0 KB, 124 views)
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 09:20 PM   #11
mcurrier79
United_States
Rep

I changed the oil about 4 months ago. I'm not sure of the mileage but I would estimate right around 5-6k. The change oil light hasn't came on yet.

I went ahead and changed the oil today and removed both Vanos solenoids and cleaned them with MAF cleaner. They were rather disgusting and the rubber seal wasn't very soft. I was actually worried that I would break them while cleaning them. I also swapped them (put the bottom one on top and the top one on the bottom).

I pulled the codes before I started doing anything and once I was done, I cleared the codes and took it for a drive. I drove for probably 30min or so. A good mix of in town and highway (not interstate). I pulled into the gas station down from my house and grabbed a drink. Once I started it back up again and was driving thru the parking lot the light came back on again. I pulled the codes again as soon as I got home.

I have attached both sets of output files. The pre-work codes is "Error Codes 2020-01-08.1.txt" and the post-work codes is "Error Codes 2020-01-08.2.txt". I added the original and the google translated.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Error Codes 2020-01-08.1.txt (7.7 KB, 72 views)
File Type: txt Error Codes 2020-01-08.1 (Translated).txt (5.6 KB, 107 views)
File Type: txt Error Codes 2020-01-08.2.txt (1.7 KB, 48 views)
File Type: txt Error Codes 2020-01-08.2 (Translated).txt (1.3 KB, 54 views)
      01-16-2020, 11:36 PM   #12
mcurrier79
United_States
Rep

Figured I'd give an update... Changed both Vanos and reset the adaptations. All seems well right now...