E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Thule roof kits for E91 Touring

09-02-2008, 05:32 PM   #1
bmwbrit
BMW newbie
Rep
Drives: 320d Edition M Sport Touring

Question Thule roof kits for E91 Touring

I am about to take delivery of my 320d Edition M Sport Touring in carbon black (looks great from the posts on this forum) and would like some advice on Thule kit for roof bars and bike carrier.

I think I need a 755 foot kit and 861 aero bars + I plan to 591 proride bike carrier. Has anyone fitted their car out using OEM Thule parts (as opposed to the BMW rebranded parts). There are a number of website which appear to offer variations and/or more than one option (inc the Thule web site).
      09-03-2008, 02:47 AM   #2
Mr Plum
A member
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport Touring

I have 755 foot kit from my previous car and was also a bit puzzled when I looked around to see if it would fit my 91 touring - saw similar conflicting stories.

However I have used them (with the 861 aero bars and bike rack) without problem on the E91. I went for the 561 outride bike rack where you take the front wheen out and fix the forks to the rack for stability though....
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 05:13 AM   #3
bmwbrit
BMW newbie
Rep
Drives: 320d Edition M Sport Touring

Smile

Thanks Mr Plum - that puts my mind at rest that there is someone out there that has used the combination.

Better get surfing for the cheapest source now!
      09-03-2008, 07:30 AM   #4
agh!
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 320d SE

Here are the Thule parts I use on my E91

1 x Thule Atlantis 780 Roof Box (480 Litres) (TH679) £244.00
1 x Thule 755 Rapid System Roof Rail Foot Pack (TH755) £56.00
1 x Thule 761 Rapid System Black Roof Bars (Pair - 120cm) (TH761 ) £23.00
1 x Thule 571 Roof Box Lift & Storage System (TH571) £49.00
Bought at www.roofrackshop.com a year ago.

I've got a box and not a bike rack but bars and feet are the same.
Good set of kit, I like it.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 08:16 AM   #5
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

My issue with the Thule roof bars is they extend out over the edge of the car/roof. Visually unappealing. I bought via a german OEM BMW accessories supplier on ebay the correct BMW bars for the E91. Search on ebay for the German 'roof bar' which if I'm right is 'dachtrager' to get these suppliers. Price delivered was about £78 which was about £50 less the a UK dealer. Although the current Euro exchange rate may not be a cheap as last year when I bought mine.

I also use the BMW 'racing cycle' rack which requires the removal of the front wheels. This gives a sturdier mount direct to the forks of either a racing bike or mountain bike and allows less wind resistance and a faster speed on motorways.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/BMW-Shop24-...QQftidZ2QQtZkm
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 03:57 AM   #6
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

You cut the Thule bars to fit.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 06:30 AM   #7
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
You cut the Thule bars to fit.
Standard or Aero bars or both?

I didn't consider looking at cutting the Aero bar which would have been my option.

Went for BMW bars because they ended up cheaper than the Aero bar option.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2008, 07:51 AM   #8
Cafe.Racer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d Touring

I have the Thule Aero bars, and foot kit. The 755 mentioned about seems right from memory, not sure about the bars, though.

Got mine from some online store www.roofbox.co.uk I think, where I got the roof box from.

Personally, I wished I'd gone for the longer bars - would give a bit more room when getting the roof box and bikes on. I wouldn't cut the Aero bars. The only thing with the Aero bars it that they're not actually straight they are designed with a kink in them. When I have the kid's bikes on they have a tendancy to lean a bit on my racks, if I mount them on the wrong side, the knk accentuates the lean...

Anyway, they fit fine, and work great. The first time out I didn't tighten them up enough - I had a roofbox and four bikes on and 2 hours on the motorway made the whole lot slid back about 1.5". Luckily I got into the habit of checking when I open the tailgate that it's not going to hit anything on the roof. So, watch that - I now tighten them as hard as I can, whereas the first time it felt like I was going to break something.

I have Atera racks I got as seconds/returns from www.roofbox.co.uk, they also do "bundles" if you're into buying the bars and racks at the same time.n They also have a car selector so it'll get you the right parts, although I think it selects the steel bars by default.
      11-17-2008, 10:53 AM   #9
razzor
Rep
Drives: 320D M Touring

A bit off topic but can the roof rack bars be removed on the Touring to give it a cleaner look ?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 11:24 AM   #10
agh!
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 320d SE

The Alpina D3 Touring could be had without roof bars, I assume you could remove them, don't know the procedure though.
Personally I think the touring looks better with the bars, having seen a D3 touring without them... looks odd somehow IMO.
Appreciate 0