Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Using iPod Touch

11-08-2019, 10:57 AM   #1
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Using iPod Touch

Hi,

I have an iPod Touch, running iOS v9.3.5 (13G36), that I have had for some time; I have an extensive music collection on it and used on my F30.

I have tried connecting my iPod to the USB port by the cup holders as well as through the USB-C port in the console (with an adaptor), but my M340 keeps saying it needs to have the Connected Drive App on it. Well, when I go to the Apple Store and try to download this App, I get "BMW Connected is not compatible with this iPod." I have even Bluetooth paired the car and iPod; the pairing works fine, but when I try to have the car use the iPod, there is nothing that plays.

Is there someway to "sideload" the Connected drive App on the iPod? Or is some work around to use the iPod with my extensive music collection in my M340? Do I have activate Apple Car Play -- and will it work for iPod?

Appreciate any assistance?

Thank you very much!

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 10:11 AM   #2
cls49bmw
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40

I had the same problem. I previously owned a 2016 5 series, with the previous generation I Drive system. My iPod running IOS 9.3.5 worked flawlessly. I also use a later generation iPod, and found that performed less well when connected in my car. The problems related to artwork not displaying correctly.

My new 330i has the current I Drive system, and my older iPod just doesn't work at all. The dealer's genius couldn't offer much advice other than BMW doesn't support that Apple device. I've found that the genius usually blames Apple, rather than BMW.

Performance of my more recent iPod is actually a bit worse, but I've learned to live with it. I use the USB connection by the cup holders, and also use Playlists of music downloaded to the iPod.

If you have found any workarounds please share them.
Appreciate 0