E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Blinker stays on too long after turning

04-04-2006, 08:04 AM   #1
kimmer
Sparkling Graphite & Beige
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi iDrive

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Blinker stays on too long after turning

After searching around I haven't found anyone else complaining about my biggest annoyance with my new E90. The blinker. I live in a town that has very few "straight" roads with 90 degree intersections. So I activate my blinker, make the turn, and the blinker stays on well after I've completed my turn. (The problem is that I've turned onto a winding road, so it almost never straightens out long enough to deactivate the blinker.) After almost every turn on my way to work, I have to manually deactivate the blinker because it continues through about 6 additional blinks after I've turned. All other cars that I have driven (non-BMW) can figure out that I've completed my turns in a reasonable amount of time. I thought I would "get used to it". But after driving this car for five months, I'm still not used to the duration of the blinker (nor are the other drivers who think I'm planning to take another left/right turn.) I attribute this problem to the car being tested somewhere that has a lot of 90 degree turns.

So my question is whether there is a way to make my blinker more/less sensitive such that it turns off sooner. Anyone out there having similar issues? Anyone have suggestions for a fix?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2006, 08:21 AM   #2
ashecnc
In the delivery business :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i Jet Black/Black

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmer
After searching around I haven't found anyone else complaining about my biggest annoyance with my new E90. The blinker. I live in a town that has very few "straight" roads with 90 degree intersections. So I activate my blinker, make the turn, and the blinker stays on well after I've completed my turn. (The problem is that I've turned onto a winding road, so it almost never straightens out long enough to deactivate the blinker.) After almost every turn on my way to work, I have to manually deactivate the blinker because it continues through about 6 additional blinks after I've turned. All other cars that I have driven (non-BMW) can figure out that I've completed my turns in a reasonable amount of time. I thought I would "get used to it". But after driving this car for five months, I'm still not used to the duration of the blinker (nor are the other drivers who think I'm planning to take another left/right turn.) I attribute this problem to the car being tested somewhere that has a lot of 90 degree turns.

So my question is whether there is a way to make my blinker more/less sensitive such that it turns off sooner. Anyone out there having similar issues? Anyone have suggestions for a fix?

Thanks.
I have noticed it too, as where I live here on mountains roads, we have major turns here. So mine stays on too, I normally click it off myself. It looks weird for me to leave it on, but I think I am the only one paying attention to that. I also don't think it can be changed to click off earlier.

Born 10/05 '06 325i Jet Black, Black, Sport Package, Xenon's, Heated Seats & Power, Sat. Prep, Rear Spoiler, Chrome Tips, Blacklines, Chrome Grills, 19" M5 wheels NO MORE run flats, drives like a dream now
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2006, 08:35 AM   #3
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

Quote:

Thanks.
One possible fix. Use the triple-turn setting and it will only blink twice from when you turn it on.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2006, 08:39 AM   #4
ashecnc
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpira
One possible fix. Use the triple-turn setting and it will only blink twice from when you turn it on.
Well,I don't think that would help him. Unless I misunderstood. Example, if stopped at a light, signal is on, then when making your turn, it takes forever for it to turn off, since you take forever around curves to straighten out. So I don't think the blinking twice would help, unless you're making a fast lane change

Born 10/05 '06 325i Jet Black, Black, Sport Package, Xenon's, Heated Seats & Power, Sat. Prep, Rear Spoiler, Chrome Tips, Blacklines, Chrome Grills, 19" M5 wheels NO MORE run flats, drives like a dream now
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2006, 09:22 AM   #5
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

mine cancels after I straighten out the wheel after the turn, they all should do this.

the only reason it should stay on would be if the windy mountain road you drive on is a steady curve in the same direction the whole way.

I doubt that there's something wrong with your turn signal, you probably just don't understand how they work (won't cancel untill you straighten the wheel)

did you really think you had "adaptive turn signals" that would learn how you like to drive after 5 months?????
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2006, 09:23 AM   #6
ashecnc
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
mine cancels after I straighten out the wheel after the turn, they all should do this.

the only reason it should stay on would be if the windy mountain road you drive on is a steady curve in the same direction the whole way.

I doubt that there's something wrong with your turn signal, you probably just don't understand how they work (won't cancel untill you straighten the wheel)

did you really think you had "adaptive turn signals" that would learn how you like to drive after 5 months?????
lol thats right he dont straighten out

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2006, 10:59 AM   #7
Chuck_IV
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:

Thanks.

I noticed this too. You almost have to get back to going absolutely straight for it to turn off on it's own. It's a bit much and does get annoying sometimes and does present a bit oon an issue, at times.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2006, 11:16 AM   #8
Gitta
Kelly's 330i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
I noticed it too. I live in an area where there are a lot of 5 point intersections and Y's. I feel that the car is so fun to drive up and down and around the mountains that I can live with turning the blinkers off on the gentle turns.
'01 325xi | auto | TS-GDL-BW | ZPP | heated seats |........... mods | spoiler | mudguards | blackout grills | clear lights | halo projector headlights |
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2006, 11:28 AM   #9
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep
Drives: '06 325eyeyiyi

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Tap your stalk and be grateful this is your biggest issue with your car.

E90 325i Monaco Blue, Black Leatherette, Sport, Cold Weather, Xenon, Sat Prep, 18" BBS RGR
Mods: Polorized Film for Business CD, added lumbar, rock chip on hood
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2006, 11:31 AM   #10
ashecnc
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitta
I feel that the car is so fun to drive up and down and around the mountains that I can live with turning the blinkers off on the gentle turns.
I'll second that

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2006, 01:21 PM   #11
Laplacian
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by noflash
Tap your stalk and be grateful this is your biggest issue with your car.
Yes, and as someone here pointed out on another thread, you can tap it in either direction to turn it off (very cool).

I live in a place with a lot of 90 degree turns and I noticed the opposite: my signal goes off too soon. For example, when I am stuck in traffic and want to make a left at a light. I put my signal on, move into the left turn lane as fast as traffic will allow (about 10mph) so that I have to turn my wheel slightly to get into the left turn lane, and then straighten out my wheel to pull forward in the left turn lane--many times my signal will go off when I straighten the wheel to pull forward.

How about adaptive turn signals? Seriously. How hard could that be? We already have active steering--it's probably just a minor modification of the algorithm already implemented in software, maybe with a slight bias toward right turns. Actually, it sounds like a fun problem--I'd love to work on that for BMW if they gave me the chance.
      04-04-2006, 01:51 PM   #12
billgti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laplacian
I live in a place with a lot of 90 degree turns and I noticed the opposite: my signal goes off too soon. For example, when I am stuck in traffic and want to make a left at a light. I put my signal on, move into the left turn lane as fast as traffic will allow (about 10mph) so that I have to turn my wheel slightly to get into the left turn lane, and then straighten out my wheel to pull forward in the left turn lane--many times my signal will go off when I straighten the wheel to pull forward.
it's actually the same "problem" really. think about it. the point at which the steering wheel needs to be turned in order for the blinker to turn off is too close to the center.

in your case, it will turn off easily since your initial slight turn already went past that point so when you straighten the wheel out, the blinker will go off. in the original poster's situation, after his big turn, his steering wheel is still slightly turned and hasn't gone back to the point where the blinker shuts off itself.

i've noticed both instances in my car and my previous car, a mk4 vw gti, was similar. every other car i've driven has that point set further from the center.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2006, 02:09 PM   #13
HoosBMW
A ROOM WITH A MOOSE!
United_States
Rep
Drives: waiting on the replacement

Garage List
2007 335I  [0.00]
2006 330I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpira

thrice not twice...hence the tripple turn setting....anyways...sorry to be an ass...but i had to correct ya
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2006, 06:35 PM   #14
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

No issues with my indicators. Love em
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2006, 07:17 PM   #15
SapphireBlackG01
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 X3, Formerly ‘06 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosBMW
thrice not twice...hence the tripple turn setting....anyways...sorry to be an ass...but i had to correct ya
He meant twice after the initial blink when you first turn it on.
Appreciate 0