E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E-Brake

04-04-2006, 06:17 AM   #1
spanna2000
Private
England
Rep
Drives: 330D M Auto Individual

Garage List
E-Brake

I'm intrigued by the term "Emergency Brake". Here in the Uk it's the hand brake.

Under what circumstances would the E-brake be used in an emergency? I know that it will help lock the rear wheels and possibly then help spin the car around and turn the some of the forward momentum into turning momentum. This hand brake turn would probably stop the car a heck of a lot quicker but you'd be hard pressed to keep control unless you're a racing driver. Do you call these e-brake turns? I guess cars with electronic e-brakes can no longer do this.

Does Emergency apply to - if the gears in park setting fails then at least the car won't roll away.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2006, 06:28 AM   #2
kickpoint
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 325i

My guess is that it originates from the need to have a seperate ruduntant breaking system, in the event that the primary fails. So that when trying to stop, if depressing hte pedel does not work, you have an alternative emergency only method of breaking safely. The fact that is can be used to induce a sharp turn or spin is a side effect. Not all cars have a hand emergency break. Many GM vehicles still use a foot pedel to activate the emergency break. In fact, most trucks are set-up like this. If a truck in the UK has a foot pedal and not a handle for this function, what would you call it?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2006, 06:59 AM   #3
spanna2000
Private
England
Rep
Drives: 330D M Auto Individual

Garage List
I checked with a trucker friend - he calls it the handbrake and its usually on the dashboard operated by hand. European trucks of course.

Some Mercs, Rolls and I think Citroen have the foot operated brake - in which case I have always called it the parking brake. Is a major PIA on manual cars on steep hills because you have clutch control going on with your feet to hold you on the incline and then need to take your foot off the gas to release the parking brake.
Appreciate 0