F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > MPPSK installed!
proTUNING Freaks

09-30-2019, 04:57 AM   #1
Londoner
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i msport+ MPPSK

MPPSK installed!

So took the plunge last week, after you happy campers made it all too tempting and Gippy kindly pointed us in the direction of the great deal (£1368) up in Birmingham.

My God the deeeeeep roar in sport mode is crazy, even at low revs and the vibration when motorway cruising is hilarious. Although to be honest am enjoying the pitch/tone more in drive mode - it's still so edgy and throaty but lacks the insane decibels of the fully opened valves.

Performance wise it's nice, the extra torque is noticeable and not sure if I'm imagining it or not but the turbo lag seems to be almost totally eliminated, at least in sport and sport+.

Install was easy, dropped the car off at 9.30am (spun around in a 530d courtesy car) and picked up at 3.30. Sport display shows the extra nm and kw, no issues presented thus far.

Overall very happy it and looking forward to putting some miles on her.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      09-30-2019, 05:22 AM   #2
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Enjoy
I've had mine for 15 months now. Yet to tire of it, although I hardly ever bother with Sport, just stick to the left. The sound gets better after a few thousand miles as well, richer and deeper. It's a great mod. I don't think the power bump is that noticeable, possibly just the torque, as you say.
      09-30-2019, 06:30 AM   #3
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Nice job, and a bit different to see the chrome MPPSK tips up close (they'll be easier to clean!).

Have had mine on for a year now and I love the Jekyll & Hyde nature of the car now - lifts for elderly friends quiet, or yoof embarrassing loud - you choose!

PS - don't forget the quiet start-up trick if you need it

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 08:26 AM   #4
Londoner
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Many thanks gents!! Was actually both your historical reviews/threads that made me dust off wallet!

In my childish haste to try out I forgot to ask them for a user manual (assuming there is one) and the fabled red envelope/decals etc - is there anything worth knowing? Recall reading in a very old thread something about ron 98 being the recommended fuel?

RE quiet start-up - cheers Rob, noted in your thread a couple of weeks ago! And agreed - the stealthy nature of comfort mode means I haven't had to tell the mrs what I spent (just yet)!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 09:48 AM   #5
SuperHamz
Major
Rep
Drives: F31 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoner View Post
RE quiet start-up - cheers Rob, noted in your thread a couple of weeks ago! And agreed - the stealthy nature of comfort mode means I haven't had to tell the mrs what I spent (just yet)!
Ooh the missus never gets to know about the mods, it's all part of the servicing of the car and that you've only just discovered a new "mode" on the car!
      10-01-2019, 05:32 PM   #6
BurnleyBimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Many thanks gents!! Was actually both your historical reviews/threads that made me dust off wallet!

In my childish haste to try out I forgot to ask them for a user manual (assuming there is one) and the fabled red envelope/decals etc - is there anything worth knowing? Recall reading in a very old thread something about ron 98 being the recommended fuel?

Congratulations, I’ve been eyeing BlueBell BMW Crewe, they have good deal on eBay £1407 with the crome pipes.
Appreciate 1
Londoner168.00
      10-01-2019, 05:48 PM   #7
Londoner
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHamz View Post
Ooh the missus never gets to know about the mods, it's all part of the servicing of the car and that you've only just discovered a new "mode" on the car!
So wrong but so right.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 03:46 AM   #8
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHamz View Post
Oh mine was all involved and also keen on it.... but she doesn't get the excitement about the "loose potatoes in the exhaust" as she calls the pops and bangs
      10-02-2019, 03:52 AM   #9
SuperHamz
Major
Rep
Drives: F31 328i M Sport

Quote:
So wrong but so right.
I'm sure the costs of handbags and the shoes are never truly revealed to me. She did say that she worries that if she goes before me, that I'd sell her things at the "costs" that she's told me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
Oh mine was all involved and also keen on it.... but she doesn't get the excitement about the "loose potatoes in the exhaust" as she calls the pops and bangs
I can bring her around to it eventually, but she doesn't see the point of messing around with any car.
      10-02-2019, 04:00 AM   #10
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Oh mine does that. She has assisted me with all the mods on the other car and even encouraged some of them. She enjoys mods certainly not as much as I do and certainly not as much as she does handbags and shoes and clothes..... but still, better than nothing

She doesn't get detailing when out of proportion though.
      10-02-2019, 04:56 AM   #11
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnleyBimmer View Post
Congratulations, I’ve been eyeing BlueBell BMW Crewe, they have good deal on eBay £1407 with the crome pipes.
If you ring them you can haggle a deal, I've done that on a few parts with them, admittedly not on MPPSK but you could save a couple of quid ? and it's actually £1200, but guess thats plus fitting.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-340i-...0AAOSwUlhdUXmO

Sycamore at Peterborough have Carbon tip version at £1500
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 07:04 AM   #12
Steve_M_Sport
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: U06 230e Active Tourer

Can this exhaust be fitted to a 2019 F31 340i or is it only for earlier ones ?

Previous : 2019 F31 340i : 2017 F31 335D M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 07:50 AM   #13
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_M_Sport View Post
Can this exhaust be fitted to a 2019 F31 340i or is it only for earlier ones ?
Mid 2018 onwards had an OPF, so no for yours.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 08:12 AM   #14
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
My other half didn't bat an eyelid at the MPPSK install or cost, but then she's a bigger petrolhead than me and spends a lot more on cars than me. If it hasn't got a 3L engine she's not interested ... imagine the fibbing I had to do when I had a 328i

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 01:22 AM   #15
Madlil
Private
Rep
Drives: F83 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
Nice job, and a bit different to see the chrome MPPSK tips up close (they'll be easier to clean!).

Have had mine on for a year now and I love the Jekyll & Hyde nature of the car now - lifts for elderly friends quiet, or yoof embarrassing loud - you choose!

PS - don't forget the quiet start-up trick if you need it
Hi Rob,

I can’t find your earlier post on quieter start up. Could you elaborate please?

Thanks
Andrew
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 02:10 AM   #16
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

If you increase your revs slightly, the valve closes and quietens the engine down - you only need increase engine speed a couple of hundred rpm.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 02:38 AM   #17
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwynMike View Post
If you increase your revs slightly, the valve closes and quietens the engine down - you only need increase engine speed a couple of hundred rpm.
That's the job

Mine normally idles at 700rpm on cold start and lightly pressing the throttle to bring it up to about 900rpm makes it quiet. I do this until a few seconds after the rear seatbelt warning light goes off at which point it remains quiet.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 2
Malone289.50
Madlil16.50
      10-04-2019, 03:47 AM   #18
Abzynthe
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i Gran Coupe LCI

I thought the cold start was more to do with the turbo wastegate or something, rather than the exhaust?
My valves stay closed on start up unless I pop it in sport on ignition, and tap the accelerator pedal before starting the car lol.
      10-04-2019, 06:50 AM   #19
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abzynthe View Post
I thought the cold start was more to do with the turbo wastegate or something, rather than the exhaust?
Yes, it is. My ambiguous use of the word "valve".
Sorry.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 07:24 AM   #20
Abzynthe
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i Gran Coupe LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwynMike View Post
Yes, it is. My ambiguous use of the word "valve".
Sorry.
Ah, makes sense lol
      10-07-2019, 12:20 AM   #21
Nick340
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 340i M Sport (shadow edition)

Wish I'd got non carbon tips, carbon are a pain to clean. Enjoy it, it improves over time as others have mentioned.

My car just hit 24k miles. MPPSK on for a year and done about 16k.

It's louder now and the over run bangs are actually a bit embarrassing quite a lot of them time. Just had a road trip to Germany with friends and after the initial appreciation of the various loud and fruity sounds it makes at different parts of the rev range. They all got a bit fed up of listening to 4-6 loud successive shot gun backfires every time I lifted off.

And it's difficult to make progress without drawing alot of unwanted attention, especially in tunnels when people think some kind of bomb is going off and start to panic.

However, power wise, I was following two 991 GT3's in Germany for most of the trip, which are significantly more powerful (not to mention lighter) and I was not loosing them on most smooth roads. I suspect mine is running higher power than stated. It really is a quick car in a straight line. And I hit 165MPH on the autobahn before having to lift off for traffic and it was pulling hard still.

With regards to fuel, I'm sure you should use the higher octane fuel, most performance cars are mapped to use them, especially turbos/modified cars. I don't experience any noticeable difference with standard vs high octane fuel in terms of performance. However, it does seem louder with higher octane fuel. I use the latter where I can but if I'm low on fuel and can't find it, I don't mind putting in standard fuel but I know others who would never let it touch their car...

Last edited by Nick340; 10-07-2019 at 12:29 AM..
Appreciate 1
Londoner168.00
      10-07-2019, 04:43 AM   #22
Londoner
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick340 View Post
Wish I'd got non carbon tips, carbon are a pain to clean. Enjoy it, it improves over time as others have mentioned.

My car just hit 24k miles. MPPSK on for a year and done about 16k.

It's louder now and the over run bangs are actually a bit embarrassing quite a lot of them time. Just had a road trip to Germany with friends and after the initial appreciation of the various loud and fruity sounds it makes at different parts of the rev range. They all got a bit fed up of listening to 4-6 loud successive shot gun backfires every time I lifted off.

And it's difficult to make progress without drawing alot of unwanted attention, especially in tunnels when people think some kind of bomb is going off and start to panic.

However, power wise, I was following two 991 GT3's in Germany for most of the trip, which are significantly more powerful (not to mention lighter) and I was not loosing them on most smooth roads. I suspect mine is running higher power than stated. It really is a quick car in a straight line. And I hit 165MPH on the autobahn before having to lift off for traffic and it was pulling hard still.

With regards to fuel, I'm sure you should use the higher octane fuel, most performance cars are mapped to use them, especially turbos/modified cars. I don't experience any noticeable difference with standard vs high octane fuel in terms of performance. However, it does seem louder with higher octane fuel. I use the latter where I can but if I'm low on fuel and can't find it, I don't mind putting in standard fuel but I know others who would never let it touch their car...
Many thanks Nick and yes indeed, re bops and bangs lol! RE 165 MPH - does that mean the remapping takes the 155 limit away?
Appreciate 1
Nick34036.00