F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Major service
Extreme Powerhouse

09-22-2019, 06:52 AM   #1
roopsy1992
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series 320i M Sport

Major service

Hi. I have a 320i Msport Saloon. 31727 on the clock.. it's now due it's major service & vehicle check. I've been quoted by Coventry bmw and rybrook Warwick £413 inc vat. I am thinking of buying the parts which hopefully will reduce the cost down as the car is still under warranty? What do you guys think is best to do?
      09-22-2019, 07:31 AM   #2
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Wow that's really cheap for a main dealer major service! I'd tear their arms off at that price.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 08:48 AM   #3
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i M-Sport Gran Coupe

Sounds a good price to me. I part exchanged my 320i M-Sport in July, and it would have been due it's major service in December. I was expecting £500 plus.

Edit : Just looked up my local BMW servicing online and found this so sounds about right if it's this service.
Attached Images

Last edited by sensible; 09-22-2019 at 09:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 10:11 AM   #4
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport x-drive F30

Ask them if it’s their best price!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 11:59 AM   #5
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

If your near a Sytner dealership, and work for one of the firms on their "Affinity" (business) scheme. You can get 10% off parts and service.

Dealerships near me will price match Sytner.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 03:11 PM   #6
N-W
oOOo
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Wow that's really cheap for a main dealer major service! I'd tear their arms off at that price.
+1

I was quoted £480.
Appreciate 1
teaston10994.50
      09-23-2019, 12:55 AM   #7
Jim23k
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensible View Post
Sounds a good price to me. I part exchanged my 320i M-Sport in July, and it would have been due it's major service in December. I was expecting £500 plus.

Edit : Just looked up my local BMW servicing online and found this so sounds about right if it's this service.
Standard scope adds about £20 and the vehicle check a further £64. OP does your quote include vehicle check and standard scope? That's very cheap if so, especially if it's still under warranty as value servicing isn't available until > 3 years old!

Mine is due in Jan for all this and it works out at £560 at Sandal. Gulp.

Some dealerships (like Cooper) will price match Indy's so I'll try that.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 04:26 AM   #8
73henny
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: a lovely new G20 320dx

Has anyone taken up the new monthly service cost? Seems very expensive compared to the previous service pack and more expensive than just paying for the service at the required time.

Gone; F30 335dx, F30 330dx, F21 LCI 125d, F48 X1 20dx, F10 520d
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 08:35 AM   #9
roopsy1992
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim23k View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensible View Post

Standard scope adds about £20 and the vehicle check a further £64. OP does your quote include vehicle check and standard scope? That's very cheap if so, especially if it's still under warranty as value servicing isn't available until > 3 years old!

Mine is due in Jan for all this and it works out at £560 at Sandal. Gulp.

Some dealerships (like Cooper) will price match Indy's so I'll try that.
Just had an email back from them, £495 for everything
      09-23-2019, 09:03 AM   #10
Assassin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340d MHT xDrive

Find reputable independent that uses only BMW parts and can get a quote from them. Wave that in front of dealer and ask for more competitive quote. They usually oblige as your warranty still valid with the indie.

Silly money for what the actually do......hence $tealers!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 02:48 AM   #11
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

My car's just coming up to needing its 4th service at around 77k miles and when the dealer (Cooper York) read the key I was pleasantly surprised at the quote of £443 (being £393 for the service and £50 for a brake fluid change). I was expecting the car to need a big service but it seems only a 2nd Oil Service is required (which includes items such as the fuel filter and microfilter but not things like spark plugs).

That didn't seem unreasonable to me although that was perhaps because I was expecting a bigger service to be needed with a correspondingly larger bill! However, given the age and mileage I don't think it's necessary to maintain a FBMWSH so I'll still see what my local independent can do it for....
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 10:37 AM   #12
Sheepy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73henny View Post
Has anyone taken up the new monthly service cost? Seems very expensive compared to the previous service pack and more expensive than just paying for the service at the required time.
Never had the old one so can’t compare but I’ve taken the monthly one & it roughly works out that I get a free oil service. Also I get 2 free map updates & the first mot is free plus the benefit of paying monthly so no massive bills & if I decide against it & decide to use an Indy I can cancel it & get my money back less what the first service cost.
Appreciate 2
Jim23k57.50
73henny501.00
      09-25-2019, 02:42 PM   #13
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
My car's just coming up to needing its 4th service at around 77k miles and when the dealer (Cooper York) read the key I was pleasantly surprised at the quote of £443 (being £393 for the service and £50 for a brake fluid change). I was expecting the car to need a big service but it seems only a 2nd Oil Service is required (which includes items such as the fuel filter and microfilter but not things like spark plugs).

That didn't seem unreasonable to me although that was perhaps because I was expecting a bigger service to be needed with a correspondingly larger bill! However, given the age and mileage I don't think it's necessary to maintain a FBMWSH so I'll still see what my local independent can do it for....
If it includes the fuel filter then it is a major service.

And your car doesn’t have spark plugs!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 03:00 PM   #14
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Oh bugger, guilty as charged - I had in my mind the list of service items published in post number 3 above but that obviously related to a petrol car and sparks plugs clearly aren't relevant to mine! However, the price I've been quoted definitely includes the (diesel!) fuel filter and on that basis I don't think less than £400 for a major service is too bad from a main dealer?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 03:59 AM   #15
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Oh bugger, guilty as charged - I had in my mind the list of service items published in post number 3 above but that obviously related to a petrol car and sparks plugs clearly aren't relevant to mine! However, the price I've been quoted definitely includes the (diesel!) fuel filter and on that basis I don't think less than £400 for a major service is too bad from a main dealer?
Sounds like a very good price to me!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 07:59 AM   #16
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
...the price I've been quoted definitely includes the (diesel!) fuel filter and on that basis I don't think less than £400 for a major service is too bad from a main dealer?
Hmm, my local independent (who is good) has quoted £339 to do both the service and the brake fluid change - that's almost 25% cheaper than the main dealer!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 08:16 AM   #17
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
...the price I've been quoted definitely includes the (diesel!) fuel filter and on that basis I don't think less than £400 for a major service is too bad from a main dealer?
Hmm, my local independent (who is good) has quoted £339 to do both the service and the brake fluid change - that's almost 25% cheaper than the main dealer!
Do you own the car outright? If so, how long do you intend on keeping it?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 08:34 AM   #18
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
..the price I've been quoted definitely includes the (diesel!) fuel filter and on that basis I don't think less than £400 for a major service is too bad from a main dealer?
Yes, I own outright. In terms of keeping it, my current thinking is to replace with an M340i Touring as and when some decent deals start to emerge so in practice probably another year from now.

My local dealer is actually Stratstone Harrogate and I've not yet asked them for a quote; I'll probably go across to have a look at the new G21 early next week and if I do I'll see if they're prepared to price match the independent...
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 12:52 PM   #19
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
..the price I've been quoted definitely includes the (diesel!) fuel filter and on that basis I don't think less than £400 for a major service is too bad from a main dealer?
Yes, I own outright. In terms of keeping it, my current thinking is to replace with an M340i Touring as and when some decent deals start to emerge so in practice probably another year from now.

My local dealer is actually Stratstone Harrogate and I've not yet asked them for a quote; I'll probably go across to have a look at the new G21 early next week and if I do I'll see if they're prepared to price match the independent...
That's a good idea, I think the FBMWSH will help you in a years time.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 07:36 AM   #20
roopsy1992
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Just had the major service don't at Rybrook Warwick. 9.30am appointment and I was out of there after 11am. Total cost was £496.