F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Steering wheel cleaning
Extreme Powerhouse

09-17-2019, 03:22 PM   #1
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i M-Sport Gran Coupe

Steering wheel cleaning

My last car had an M-Sport steering wheel and went quite shiny over three and a half years. I tried using Detol wipes but after a while this was no good and the wheel felt sticky.

I now have a new car with a nice new M-Sport matt leather steering wheel. How can I keep it this way without getting sticky products on it.

I was thinking of trying Dr Leather wipes, but do they leave a residue....or is there anything else?
      09-17-2019, 04:11 PM   #2
RoShambolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensible View Post
My last car had an M-Sport steering wheel and went quite shiny over three and a half years. I tried using Detol wipes but after a while this was no good and the wheel felt sticky.

I now have a new car with a nice new M-Sport matt leather steering wheel. How can I keep it this way without getting sticky products on it.

I was thinking of trying Dr Leather wipes, but do they leave a residue....or is there anything else?
I've been using Gtechniq I2 tri-clean spray, damp a microfibre with very hot water spray a bit on the cloth and gently twist while gripping the wheel with the cloth. Worked my way around.

Always leaves a non tacky matt factory look after, you can literally feel how much cleaner it is straight after.

I did that for 16k every three weeks until I changed the wheel to the alcantera m-performance one. When I took it off it looked brand new still.

The I2 tri clean has a menthol smell too.

https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/gtechniq-i2-tri-clean
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 05:34 PM   #3
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
I use Dr Leather wipes.

I've had issues with the sports steering wheels in the past and have been in regular contact with Darryl (Dr Leather) to assist him in fine tuning the formula based on the results I've had.

I do, however, wipe down the wheel with a clean, damp cloth afterwards - despite the instructions saying to just use the wipes and leave it - as I find it leaves a better finish.

Personally I think the stock leather on the sports wheels isn't great. THe amount of sports wheels I've seen that have gone very shiny and/or sticky (suspect due to the coating breaking down) is unreal. There was an M4 on a 65 plate at a dealership I saw recently and the steering wheel was terrible - faded in several places - the car had barely covered 30k. I gather BMW now do a "restoration kit" to apparently address this, which to me speaks volumes.
      09-18-2019, 03:50 AM   #4
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I didn't really do anything to my last steering wheel until it got shiny, so this time I want to try and maintain it by wiping off the dirt and grease that build up at an early stage to maintain it in its current condition. However, I dont think that warm water on its own will remove anything, but want something quite mild to wipe it down. What are thoughts on baby wipes which must be quite mild for babies skin.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 03:56 AM   #5
Oceanic
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi S5

Baby wipes every few weeks keeps it clean and mat looking, leather conditioners will make it looks shin and crap

Last edited by Oceanic; 09-18-2019 at 09:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 04:08 AM   #6
IrnBrulad
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 335d

Garage List
  [0.00]
As above baby wipes - or hot water and a microfibre every so often. Takes all the crap off and doesn't leave anything behind!

Whatever you do don't use a magic eraser!!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 04:40 AM   #7
B1ue52
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F32 420d M Sport

As mentioned above, clean with Gtechniq Tri Clean and a microfibre cloth but then also protect it with Gtechniq Leather Guard. All Gtechniq products leave an OEM finish and are second to none
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 12:00 PM   #8
Bianchi Dave
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

I've used this stuff for a few years. Its absolutely brilliant, has kept my wheel looking like new. Dr leather wipes can be used to clean it but they strip off some of the protection so need to re apply the protector afterwards, but a little goes a long way.

http://www.lttleathercare.com/index....-leatherguard/

They have a good range and are very knowledgeable. The proprietor (judyb I think) will answer any queries quickly and give good advice.

I also bought the Leather Repair pen when I had my old 3 series as the seat bolster was showing signs of wear. It worked a treat too.

I should add I'm not affiliated to LTT in any way, just rate their stuff.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 03:25 PM   #9
Eddamoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 430dX

I just use Dove soap on a microfibre, don't be shy with it. It is designed for use on skin after all! Gives the wheel a great matt look and feel.
Appreciate 1
rjwojcik281.50
      09-21-2019, 01:18 AM   #10
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
I use this stuff: Leather Cleaner from Restorers - The Leather Repair Company. Picked this tip up from watching some detailing videos. Again a lovely smooth matt finish.

Another thing that helps is washing your hands often. Might sound obvious but you'd be surprised how many people don't - well you won't be if you see how many men leave the toilet without even washing their hands

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 08:26 AM   #11
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Thanks for advice but I am reluctant to start putting products on a new steering wheel.

Bought some Pampers new baby sensitive wipes. They say on the packaging that they are softer than cotton wool and milder than water. £1 for a pack of 50 from Asda.

Used one today to lightly clean the wheel. Surprising how the white wipe discoloured brown with the dirt/grease it removed after only 2000 miles of use.

Will see how it goes but good first impressions.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 10:18 AM   #12
Bianchi Dave
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

Quote:
Thanks for advice but I am reluctant to start putting products on a new steering wheel.

Bought some Pampers new baby sensitive wipes. They say on the packaging that they are softer than cotton wool and milder than water. £1 for a pack of 50 from Asda.

Used one today to lightly clean the wheel. Surprising how the white wipe discoloured brown with the dirt/grease it removed after only 2000 miles of use.

The leather protector I linked above is for a new steering wheel, the idea being it keeps the contaminants from adhering to the wheel in the first place. Most baby wipes contain chemicals which can harm the leather, I personally wouldn't risk it, especially if keeping car long term. ETTO!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 11:07 AM   #13
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
I wouldn't use baby wipes on a leather steering wheel for the same reason I wouldn't use leather cleaner on a baby's bum

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 1
SynTom48.00
      09-22-2019, 03:59 PM   #14
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Okay...get the point about baby wipes.
Just ordered Gtechniq L2 Tri-clean and L1 Leather Guard. Will need it for my car in the long run so might as well get it now....just over £20 for both.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 04:35 AM   #15
Oreocookies
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

As others have mentioned DR Leather or LTT are both great products.

DR leather leaves a very old school leather smell behind and really does shift the dirt (i use the spray version) and wipe off with a damp wet cloth afterwards to get rid of any residue.

Also use it on the cream leather seats and so far its helped keep the denim transfer off.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 06:07 AM   #16
B1ue52
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F32 420d M Sport

Quote:

With respect, putting on products (the right product) is exactly what you should be doing to a brand new steering wheel. Protecting something is always a better option that fixing it later
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 06:54 AM   #17
Ace320
Private First Class
Italy
Rep
Drives: F31 M Sport, 6MT, Alpine White

Garage List
Try to get some MA-FRA products, they are for interior and leather care.

I use detergent and nutrient from MA-FRA and they work very well for the leather protection.

Detergent is for cleaning process and it costs 10€ in Italy.
Nutrient is for care and protection and it costs 15-20€
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 12:05 PM   #18
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1ue52 View Post
With respect, putting on products (the right product) is exactly what you should be doing to a brand new steering wheel. Protecting something is always a better option that fixing it later
Yes.. as I said I have now ordered Gtechniq L2 Tri-clean and Leather Guard. I can then do my steering wheel and my leather seats.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 01:33 PM   #19
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

So today I finally got round to doing all my leather (inc the M-Sport wheel) with Gtechniq I2 Tri-clean and L1 Leather Guard. All went well, and noticed the dirt on the micro fibre cloth when doing the steering wheel and drivers seat even after only 2,800 miles. Leather Guard was easy to apply with an applicator sponge pad and it dried nice and matt like new. Time will tell as to how good it is.

Last edited by sensible; 10-10-2019 at 06:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 05:33 PM   #20
RoShambolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: Looking

Quote:
So today I finally got round to doing all my leather (inc the M-Sport wheel) with Gtechniq I2 Tri-clean and L1 Leather Guard. All went well, and noticed the dirt on the micro fibre cloth when doing the steering wheel and drivers seat even after only 2,800 mikes. Leather Guard was easy to apply with an applicator sponge pad and it dried nice and matt like new. Time will tell as to how good it is.
I think you chose well. 👍
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 05:50 PM   #21
SynTom
IAM Roadsmart Fellow
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Coupé

I hate a shiny wheel.

Had my 420i from new and when I sold the car with 20,000 on the clock the wheel was still a great matte finish. Not quite like new but very close.

If you want to go nuts like me, then use the products as mentioned above by the other members, all the suggestions on this post have been really great.

Other than products though. I use a great set of Fred Perry leather gloves. I always drive with gloves only to keep the wheel looking like new and to stop me prodding my fingernail through the leather. There are some great and affordable driving gloves on E-Bay. I would love the feel of an alcantara wheel however prefer the look and durability of leather. For this reason I've ordered some new suede gloves to try out instead.

If gloves is a step too far then avoiding hand lotion and sun cream, keeping hands clean and clear from food and oils is a great way to keep the leather looking great.

On a final note, palming the wheel as a steering technique tends to polish out the face of the wheel leaving a shiny finish in your direct eye line.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 06:34 PM   #22
Manivxr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435d EB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
I wouldn't use baby wipes on a leather steering wheel for the same reason I wouldn't use leather cleaner on a baby's bum
😂
Appreciate 0