F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Tyre Advice Please
GetBMWParts

09-15-2019, 11:03 AM   #1
B1ue52
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F32 420d M Sport

Tyre Advice Please

Currently running PZeros on a staggered 19" setup. Considering Eagle F1's when my rears are due shortly as they are somewhat less expensive.

Runflats.

Opinions?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 11:43 AM   #2
seenthelight!
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw 435d f32 coupe

The general opinion is to ditch the run flats asap. It's what I intend to do. Whatever you do, make sure that they are the same make, front and rear, and recommended 'starred' fitment if car is xdrive
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 01:00 PM   #3
Mister X
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 320d ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by seenthelight! View Post
The general opinion is to ditch the run flats asap. It's what I intend to do. Whatever you do, make sure that they are the same make, front and rear, and recommended 'starred' fitment if car is xdrive
What is 'starred' fitment? Apologies for the ignorance.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 02:14 PM   #4
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by seenthelight! View Post
There are no star marked non run flats for the 19’s
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 02:51 PM   #5
Lavan
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330cd

Ditch the run flats! Eagle F1 > P Zero
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 03:00 PM   #6
Eddamoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 430dX

I may cause controversy here, but I went from the S001 RFT to MPS4S, and they're not night and day different like what people say, in my opinion. They also hum quite a lot at mway speeds. I had a Z4 and that really was different however.

If I were doing motorway journeys, I'd probably go back to them in some form.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 03:13 PM   #7
B1ue52
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Thanks for the opinions so far, I won't be ditching the run flats for various reasons though.

Pretty much looking for a direct comparison between the PZeros and the F1s tbh if possible.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 03:14 PM   #8
B1ue52
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavan View Post
Ditch the run flats! Eagle F1 > P Zero
In what respect?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 03:19 PM   #9
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1ue52 View Post
Thanks for the opinions so far, I won't be ditching the run flats for various reasons though.

Pretty much looking for a direct comparison between the PZeros and the F1s tbh if possible.

Thanks
The F1 Assymetric 2 rft’s are great, my courtesy 320i m sport this week had them, really couldn’t tell they were run flats!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 03:25 PM   #10
Techno 9000
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435D Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
There are no star marked non run flats for the 19’s
Black Circles seems to show BMW specific fitment Michelin Pilot 4S in the staggered 19" fitment.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 03:31 PM   #11
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno 9000 View Post
Black Circles seems to show BMW specific fitment Michelin Pilot 4S in the staggered 19" fitment.
The fronts must be new! The rears have always been available, as they’re the M3/4 fronts.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 03:48 PM   #12
gippy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i, pre-LCI, w/MPPSK

i don't know what the fuss is about tyres, i've said before unless everyone is literally pushing their cars to the edge of handling and adhesion on the public road (which is mostly no one) then stick whatever named brand you like on it thats affordable, the differences will be so marginal relative to cost.
my car had been running goodyear eagle f1 asymmetric 2 RFT's from new, for 3 years.
They were fine. I mean, they did the basic job of keeping the car...on the road.

I shredded them after a track day and swapped to a set of new f1 asymmetric 5's at the rear, 3's at the front (due to unavailability with size), non RFT's.

The only difference i feel is less jarring over bumps. They are indeed a bit smoother, less harshness, presumably due to a softer sidewall. Enough of a difference for someone to ditch a healthy set of RFT's? certainly not.

I chose them because ebay had a 20% offer going on back in the summer so managed to get it all for £450. + £52 fitting at a garage.
and i suppose i'll have to buy a slime kit if the worst were to happen.

only reason i went for non RFT's was price and the offer at the time.

Last edited by gippy; 09-15-2019 at 03:57 PM..
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2765.50
      09-15-2019, 03:57 PM   #13
B1ue52
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gippy View Post
i don't know what the fuss is about tyres, i've said before unless everyone is literally pushing their cars to the edge of handling and adhesion on the public road (which is mostly no one) then stick whatever named brand you like on it thats affordable.
my car had been running goodyear eagle f1 asymmetric 2 RFT's from new, for 3 years.
They were fine. I mean, they did the basic job of keeping the car...on the road.

I shredded them after a track day and swapped to a set of brand new f1 asymmetric 5's at the rear, 3's at the front (due to unavailability with size), non RFT's.

The only difference i feel is less jarring over bumps. They are indeed a bit smoother, less harshness, presumably due to a softer sidewall. Enough of a difference for someone to ditch a healthy set of RFT's? certainly not.

I chose them because ebay had a 20% offer going on back in the summer so managed to get it all for £450. + £52 fitting at a garage.
Sorry, just can't agree with your first statement. My last two cars were Kia Sportages whilst the kids were still young. First one had Hankooks for the 5 years I owned it and they were great tyres. Second one had conti sports, a very comparable tyre in regards to cost and claimed performance ratings. The second Kia was a dog to drive for the 10,000 miles the tyres lasted. Skittish, no confidence under braking, noisy, no grip. I ended up switching them out for a set of Rotella budgets and they totally transformed the car. Undid every single complaint I made above about the contis and lasted 25k as I would expect of a set of fronts on a fwd car.

Tyres can make a massive difference to the feel, grip and noise of a car, brand to brand at the same price point and as I just described, even at half the price.

Thanks for the rest of the info
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 03:57 PM   #14
Panchoa
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330d M Sport

Quote:
i don't know what the fuss is about tyres, i've said before unless everyone is literally pushing their cars to the edge of handling and adhesion on the public road (which is mostly no one) then stick whatever named brand you like on it thats affordable.

I shredded them after a track day and swapped to a set of new f1 asymmetric 5's at the rear, 3's at the front (due to unavailability with size), non RFT's.

and i suppose i'll have to buy a slime kit if the worst were to happen.

only reason i went for non RFT's was price and the offer at the time.
Agree with everything you say here, i went from rft bridgestones to eagle non rfts on the F10 530d we had and to be honest the ride was a bit better but certainly not night and day difference. Tbh, i think i prefer the rfts on the g30 for pure safety ie if the wife is driving it with the kids and they have a flat, at least they can get hone!!

I would always buy decent make tyres but think rfts have come along way over the years and not as bad as they used to be!
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2765.50
      09-15-2019, 03:59 PM   #15
gippy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, just can't agree with your first statement. My last two cars were Kia Sportages whilst the kids were still young. First one had Hankooks for the 5 years I owned it and they were great tyres. Second one had conti sports, a very comparable tyre in regards to cost and claimed performance ratings. The second Kia was a dog to drive for the 10,000 miles the tyres lasted. Skittish, no confidence under braking, noisy, no grip. I ended up switching them out for a set of Rotella budgets and they totally transformed the car. Undid every single complaint I made above about the contis and lasted 25k as I would expect of a set of fronts on a fwd car.

Tyres can make a massive difference to the feel, grip and noise of a car, brand to brand at the same price point and as I just described, even at half the price.

hooking up those roundabout apexes in your kia Sportage were you?
fair enough
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 04:05 PM   #16
B1ue52
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

hooking up those roundabout apexes in your kia Sportage were you?
fair enough
You joke, but I really was

I guess my real question is this.... I love the PZeros. I don't notice they're rfts, they have great grip and I find them relatively quiet. What I don't want to do is take a degradation in performance and end up in a situation like with the Contis I mentioned above by going with the F1s.

Pilots sound great but they're more money than the PZeros so kinda counter productive to my objective

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 04:21 PM   #17
gippy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

well that conti's scenario you mentioned is pretty crazy, from lasting 10000 miles to some budget tyres lasting over double that.

all i can say is the RFT Assy 2's in my possession did another 11000 miles (30k in total), when i bought the car it had 5.5/4.5mm Front/Rear, and by the end, 4.5/3.5mm front/rear.

i don't exactly hang about around corners or at traffic lights from standstill so I would therefore be very surprised if they didn't last longer than 20000 miles in your hands.

but if you like the P Zero's and they're within your budget then go for it i guess!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 04:29 PM   #18
B1ue52
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Honestly I couldnt believe it. In 28 years of driving I've never had anything like it. When I say they lasted 10k, they were actually on the wear bars at 8k and I eeked another 2k out of them until they were slick at 10k.

Thanks mate, the info on the F1s is great. I do love the PZeros but the problem is they're a bit too expensive so if the F1s are good, at £40 cheaper per tyre they're worth looking at.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 04:31 PM   #19
Techno 9000
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435D Estoril Blue

You don't have to be a nutter pushing the limit of your cornering grip to benefit from the best available tyre..

If someone pulls out on you and you manage to just stop in the distance available great, you get to go home in one piece. Now re-run that situation on a tyre with lesser grip, you hit that same vehicle and are at best exchanging details, or perhaps worse.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 05:14 PM   #20
smiffy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F31 335d xdrive

Quote:
The fronts must be new! The rears have always been available, as they’re the M3/4 fronts.
Purchased a set of staggered BMW starred 19" MPS4s four months ago from Blackcircles. Very good they are too!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 05:17 PM   #21
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiffy View Post
Quote:
Purchased a set of staggered BMW starred 19" MPS4s four months ago from Blackcircles. Very good they are too!
I bet they're the G20 M340i tyres!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 02:53 AM   #22
doncarlyon
Captain
Rep
Drives: Megane RS 300 Trophy

Oh no, not another tyre debate.

Its personal preference, no point asking others.
Appreciate 0