F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Remap 420d
GetBMWParts

09-05-2019, 08:20 AM   #1
Ari-msport
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 420d Gran Coupe

Remap 420d

I know there was a post a while ago about Remaps.

Looking to get mine done soon. Just wondering if anyone has any good contacts for this. I'm sure I read a while ago on this forum about someone who can remap even remotely and had very good feedback from members here.

Anyone remember the post?

Any help will be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 07:29 AM   #2
siiiilky
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i M-Sport xDrive

bootmod3
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 08:23 AM   #3
B1ue52
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F32 420d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari-msport View Post
I know there was a post a while ago about Remaps.

Looking to get mine done soon. Just wondering if anyone has any good contacts for this. I'm sure I read a while ago on this forum about someone who can remap even remotely and had very good feedback from members here.

Anyone remember the post?

Any help will be appreciated.
I think this is the thread you are talking about:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1640068

I've been looking in to this a lot recently with local tuning shops, both chains and independents. I've got to say, there's not really a lot to go on to be honest. All claim the same figures of taking a 420d from 184bhp to 220bhp with the potential of 15 more with a higher flow air filter, straight through exhaust etc.

The common comment you will see on here is to ensure you use somewhere with a rolling road, but every single shop I've spoke to says doing it on a rolling road makes no difference to the tune, they just use it for before and after figures. In all likelihood you wont get a custom map anyway, you will just get the last one they uploaded to someone else with the same car. So it's up to you if you use a rolling road

Prices I have found to be £400 with rolling road, £300 without.

I've put a remap on the back burner for now and decided the way I will choose is basically who I like the best. Most of the people around my way are a bunch of tools and I just don't want to give them my money. When I eventually find somewhere who acts like they actually want my custom, I will probably get it done. I don't think it matters where I choose, I will get the same result regardless so will likely end up going with the remote option in the above thread.

Hope that helps
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 03:53 AM   #4
Assassin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340d MHT xDrive

Just recently went for the Evolve-R remap on my F31 335d X-Drive and its very impressive. A little more expensive than your local "tools" no doubt but a good product from a renowned company. I downloaded their small app on my laptop, using an E-sys cable downloaded my ecu info and sent it off. Their tune was emailed to me next day and took less than 5 mins to install. Very impressed so far. Can revert to stock map in minutes and if future software upgrade by BMW overwrites the map Evolve will provide new updated remap free of charge. If you fancy it give them a call and ask for the forum discount. I have nothing to do with Evolve other than buying the product.
Appreciate 2
B1ue52127.00
      09-07-2019, 04:56 AM   #5
Busted
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
Just recently went for the Evolve-R remap on my F31 335d X-Drive and its very impressive. A little more expensive than your local "tools" no doubt but a good product from a renowned company. I downloaded their small app on my laptop, using an E-sys cable downloaded my ecu info and sent it off. Their tune was emailed to me next day and took less than 5 mins to install. Very impressed so far. Can revert to stock map in minutes and if future software upgrade by BMW overwrites the map Evolve will provide new updated remap free of charge. If you fancy it give them a call and ask for the forum discount. I have nothing to do with Evolve other than buying the product.
What did you pay for this if you dont mind?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 07:01 AM   #6
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by siiiilky View Post
bootmod3
Uh no, BM3 is only for petrol units.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 09:26 AM   #7
Ari-msport
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the info guys. There's lots to read up on

I'm not looking for any massive gains with it. But from when I used to own my e46 coupe (never did remap as it was the 1.9 petrol) I remember the main advantage of remaps, especially on diesel turbos was that the responsiveness of the car was much better, smoother engine and transmission, some increase in performance yet the efficiency was also increased. A win win in all respects.

I'm not expecting anything drastic from my 2.0 diesel but still want to run a remap with a trustworthy contact.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 12:05 PM   #8
B1ue52
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

The primary reason they state you get better economy from a remap is that you gain more torque and therefore shift sooner. I don't think it inherently gives you better MPG all things being equal.

That's what all my research tells me anyhow, can't speak from experience
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 03:38 PM   #9
Ari-msport
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

I guess that makes sense.

But I've heard experiences about the engine ticking over nicer. Maybe more finely tuned?

Whatever it is, I'm on the look out. Might give evolve a call and see what they can suggest. Including prices.

I do also remember a member on e46fanatics, Colin-CNL remaps. He was very well known on the forum with maps for the e46 cars. Was highly recommended. He often did group discounts for forum members.

Anyone heard of him? Or used his services before for their f series cars ?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 03:52 AM   #10
B1ue52
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari-msport View Post
I guess that makes sense.

But I've heard experiences about the engine ticking over nicer. Maybe more finely tuned?

Whatever it is, I'm on the look out. Might give evolve a call and see what they can suggest. Including prices.

I do also remember a member on e46fanatics, Colin-CNL remaps. He was very well known on the forum with maps for the e46 cars. Was highly recommended. He often did group discounts for forum members.

Anyone heard of him? Or used his services before for their f series cars ?
The evolve option on here in that thread provides a forum discount, just in case you missed it
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 05:15 PM   #11
Ari-msport
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for info guys.

Might give evolve a call.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 05:30 PM   #12
TaranF32
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 4 Series

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1637671

Here's a link to a review on the remap I had done on my 418d, pretty much the same engine as the 420d. Made a huge difference to the way the car drives, defo one of my favourite mods. I'd drop Simon a message and see what he can offer for you, he's mobile which is a plus and is held with high esteem by a lot of the BMW community hence why I went with him.
Appreciate 0