F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Exhaust opinions needed
GetBMWParts

09-04-2019, 06:22 AM   #1
B1ue52
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F32 420d M Sport

Exhaust opinions needed

So my F32 has only done 30k and the middle box/ secondary cat has rotted all the way through right on the seem. It's going in the garage today to either get tig welded or just have the middle box deleted altogether.

The garage that's doing it has a really good rep for building custom exhausts which I am also considering. He's is proposing going straight through from the primary cat back. However, I have a few questions I would appreciate opinions on:

Has anyone gone straight through with no baffles? How loud is it, what sort of noise?

Considering an M Performance rear diffuser and can choose from a single twin exit on one side, split singles on each side, or quad. I need to decide which exhaust style I want to end up with before I order a diffuser and vice versa.

I'd appreciate any opinions.

Cheers

Picture for reference....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 07:38 AM   #2
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Unfortunately a straight-through exhaust on a 20d is unlikely to sounds much different compared to OEM. I considered it for my 30d but shelved it for the same reason.

Aesthetics is a different matter. Twin exhausts look 'better' to many people, but I'd avoid quads (M car wannabe).

I'd ask to see photos of previous custom work by the garage. I've seen some very neat jobs and also some ugly ones (way to many cuts and rusty welds).
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
B1ue52127.00
      09-04-2019, 08:24 AM   #3
B1ue52
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Unfortunately a straight-through exhaust on a 20d is unlikely to sounds much different compared to OEM. I considered it for my 30d but shelved it for the same reason.

Aesthetics is a different matter. Twin exhausts look 'better' to many people, but I'd avoid quads (M car wannabe).

I'd ask to see photos of previous custom work by the garage. I've seen some very neat jobs and also some ugly ones (way to many cuts and rusty welds).
Thanks man. I've seen some of his work and it looks to be a good standard to me and he's got a great rep around here.

I was more concerned about it being too loud rather than how much it changed the noise tbh so that belts that fear, thanks

Same opinion on the quads. But you know what it's like, when you have the option to consider all options, well... you have to consider them if only to rule them out
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 11:16 AM   #4
seenthelight!
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw 435d f32 coupe

Had the twin pipe conversation done on my 435d as soon as I got it (back box cut out, twin exit pipe welded on, one pipe each side). Looks much better than standard and sounds better too - no louder, just a deeper, fuller sound and slightly raspier when giving it some beans. Had a few folk comment that it is so unlike a diesel, which can only be good. Also fully debadged the rear to complete the look. Sorry no photos, as on phone
Appreciate 1
B1ue52127.00
      09-04-2019, 04:12 PM   #5
B1ue52
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seenthelight! View Post
Had the twin pipe conversation done on my 435d as soon as I got it (back box cut out, twin exit pipe welded on, one pipe each side). Looks much better than standard and sounds better too - no louder, just a deeper, fuller sound and slightly raspier when giving it some beans. Had a few folk comment that it is so unlike a diesel, which can only be good. Also fully debadged the rear to complete the look. Sorry no photos, as on phone
Thanks man. Very helpful
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 08:10 AM   #6
seenthelight!
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1ue52 View Post
Thanks man. Very helpful
Ok man 😁😜
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 03:53 AM   #7
Lorcan
The artist formerly known as AC Schnitzer UK
Rep
Drives: The Yellow Peril

It won't be too loud, probably the opposite, but there is a small risk of introducing some unpleasant whistling noises. Still worth it though I think.

Frankly I think quad pipes on a 420d look ridiculous but ETTO. I prefer one each side, aka "the wheelbarrow".
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
B1ue52127.00
      09-06-2019, 04:40 AM   #8
B1ue52
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Thanks and yeah, split singles is by far my preferred option.

However, if budget dictates, I may have to consider just a single twin on the left. If that is the case, does anyone know whether if I get a diffuser with the wider opening for a twin, if simply putting a twin tip on a Y pipe will sit in the correct place coming straight out the OEM single pipe box in to a twin width diffuser opening?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 05:16 AM   #9
seenthelight!
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1ue52 View Post
Thanks and yeah, split singles is by far my preferred option.

However, if budget dictates, I may have to consider just a single twin on the left. If that is the case, does anyone know whether if I get a diffuser with the wider opening for a twin, if simply putting a twin tip on a Y pipe will sit in the correct place coming straight out the OEM single pipe box in to a twin width diffuser opening?

Cheers
If you require, I have the twin pipe and back box taken from my 435d. It's standard, stainless and V good condition with no marks on the pipes. Would be a straight replacement for the 420d, just needs welding on. Available for a decent price. PM me if interested mate
Appreciate 1
B1ue52127.00