E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Autobahn Country Club Aug 18th

08-19-2008, 06:47 PM   #1
DrDomer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci ZHP, 1999 Miata

Autobahn Country Club Aug 18th

Just got back from Autobahn Country Club. It was an awesome event. Close to 100 cars in three run groups. Each group (novice, intermediate, and advanced) got six 20-minute sessions. Temps were 65-83F.

I brought my 335i sport package, auto, coupe. No performance modifications with stock Potenza RFTs. Only upgrade was BMW retrofitted oil cooler. I ran with all traction control nannies on.

This was only my second event there. I ran in the novice group. The first session was strickly a lead follow with an instructor car out front. The track (if not familiar) is 3.56 miles with 21 turns. So lots to digest. We never exceeded 65mph during the first session, and I thought I may have made a mistake in group selection. During the first run we didn't pass, but it was good to have a "warm up" session.

The second session there was no instructors. There were about 35 cars in our group. Things started out conservative as people tried to learn the line. Three laps into the session people started to pick up the pace, while some still were getting comfortable. I passed two Mustangs, two Honda S2000s, one Cayman and one 2008 Corvette Z06 (last two I knew, but more on that later). I soon learned that the 335i coupe with stock RFTs understeers with 32psi (front) and 35psi (back) as cold pressures.

The third session started out with our warmup lap near the pace of the mid laps in the 2nd session (now we're moving). By the third lap I felt quite comfortable as the pace was full speed for almost everyone. I was able to pass a 911 Carrera 4S, Honda S2000, BMW Z3 with track mods, the Corvette Z06 (again), and Cayman (again). I did have a Cadillac CTS-V all over my ass in a few corners, and as I was preparing to give him a point-by in the next straight he was gone (apparently his oil temp was 331F and he had to slow - mine ironically never went above 250F). The car still understeers as I left the pressures the same. The pressures at the end of this session were 41psi (front) and 42psi (back). I lowered the front pressures 2 psi as the wear pattern suggested I had too much pressure.

The fourth session I started out behind the Z06 (now with instructor in the car). Warmup lap was uneventful, and I was able to keep pace. On the second lap we passed a 911, RX-8, and S2000. I started to notice his line improved dramatically (uh oh), and the Z06 driver started to use his right foot (LOL). On the third lap we all got stuck in a parade led by a Mini that must not have rear view mirrors, but eventually everyone got by including the Z06, but I got stuck. I didn't get the point by before a series of turns. Eventually I passed him, and I passed the two mustangs from before. I caught a very fast S2000, but once I caught him I really couldn't get close enough to justify a point by. Interestingly, I never saw the ZO6 again (someone figured out something ). Understeer was much better, and long sweeping corners on north course no longer felt like the front tires were pushing through them (but the traction control nannies were more apparent).

The fifth (and my final) session had me behind the faster S2000 to start. I never could pass him, but we passed several cars. I became very impressed with how flat the S2000 is in turns, and how surprisingly quick they are in the straights despite the HP disadvantage. I was never in the vicinity of the only other 335i, an Audi R8, or any other Audi's (so no clue in comparisions) At the end of the fifth session a Pontiac GTO with a VERY loud exhaust caught me, and I gave him the point by (ugh.. the only time that day ). All in all, another great session.

Things I learned:

1) In the novice class, the driver dictates speed more than any car (Z06 not included)

2) I would've been pointing by the Z06 if he ever had been behind me, he learned a lot that day and that car is rediculously fast. Honestly, of all the cars in our group, that car impressed me the most.

2) Every Porsche driver I passed was not driving a good line, but the car they were driving (911 or Cayman) is much more planted and solid looking than mine felt in stock form.

3) Honda S2000's are really good track cars in stock form.

4) The 335i needs wheels, tires and suspension to be a really really good track car. It doesn't need power.

Other interesting tidbits... There were two Radicals in the expert group. Those cars are insanely fast. Do NOT ever follow the line a Lotus Exige drives . If you have a car already, are new to tracking a car and want to start, and are trying to figure out what to do with the $1000 buring a hole in your pocket... SPEND IT ALL ON TRACK DAYS!!! YOU DON'T NEED MODS YET!!!!!! LEARN TO DRIVE!!!!!

oh... and MVP Track Time runs an outstanding event. Everything was on-time, and well organized. Contact Mark Pfeffer for a superb time.
      08-22-2008, 07:57 AM   #2
Feffman
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDomer View Post
oh... and MVP Track Time runs an outstanding event. Everything was on-time, and well organized. Contact Mark Pfeffer for a superb time.
DrD, thanks for the kind words, we aim to put on grat events with a lot of track time. I see you skipped the last (6th) run session. Guess we wore you out!

Autobahn August 18th was near perfect, barring a few offs. We had a full house for a gorgeous day. Let's hope September 13th & 14th at Blackhawk Farms is the same.

Spots are still available for our Blackhawk Farms weekend. Please visit us at www.MVPTrackTime.com for details or to register.

Happy Motoring and I'll see you at the track!

Feff
Appreciate 0