E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > V3 autocross map

08-18-2008, 06:50 PM   #1
BlueLion
she likes the flavor......
United_States
Rep
Drives: A51-E92

Garage List
2022 X3MC  [0.00]
V3 autocross map

Just reading about the new features on V3.1 and the ability to adjust and personalize alot of the tuning parameters.

I was curious to know what kind of setting would help in an autocross custom map.

E92 Montego Blue silfa718 ..::STETT CAI|ADVAN RS|WAGNER FMIC|MS DP|VANGUARD|PROCEDE|FORGE DV|BMS OCC|KWV2|MICHELIN PSS|OOS::..

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 07:01 PM   #2
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLion View Post
Just reading about the new features on V3.1 and the ability to adjust and personalize alot of the tuning parameters.

I was curious to know what kind of setting would help in an autocross custom map.
A very aggressive map with higher boost and advanced ignition timing to fully utilize 100 octane is probably the most helpful.

Also, if you are trying to win I'd skip the chip, stay stock and get the widest R compound tires your class and bodywork allows
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 07:10 PM   #3
BlueLion
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Nazareno View Post
A very aggressive map with higher boost and advanced ignition timing to fully utilize 100 octane is probably the most helpful.

Also, if you are trying to win I'd skip the chip, stay stock and get the widest R compound tires your class and bodywork allows
if i could get to do more autocross events i would do the whole tire suspension setup, but I only do about 4 max a year

E92 Montego Blue silfa718 ..::STETT CAI|ADVAN RS|WAGNER FMIC|MS DP|VANGUARD|PROCEDE|FORGE DV|BMS OCC|KWV2|MICHELIN PSS|OOS::..

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 08:02 PM   #4
longodj
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2007 335xi  [0.00]
1974 VW Beetle  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLion View Post
if i could get to do more autocross events i would do the whole tire suspension setup, but I only do about 4 max a year
Then keep away from V3 (or just reduce everything) and maximize your times on the stock setup. The stock tires (Nick will fight me on this) can't handle much. So, to autocross on stock tires takes enough without the chip.

If you do have to do the whole chip thing, I would say put as much power in the midrange is possible. Remember, you'll be in second gear the whole time so tune it to keep traction and top end power won't help you AT ALL. At autocrosses I'd say I probably spend most of my time in the 3-5k rev range. The only time you hit the top end is when you're speeding past the timing gate.

I'm consistently in the top ten at BMWCCA autocrosses (no classes locally) with no chip, non-stock street tires, and sway bars. No chip required
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 09:12 PM   #5
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by longodj View Post
The stock tires (Nick will fight me on this) can't handle much.
Dave,

I'm not suggesting the OEM tires are the 'it' tires, I'm merely suggesting that I find my 328i with these RE050A II tires appears to have similar cornering ability to my old WRX with similarly sized Falken RT615 tires.

Also, I just recently found out that the 335i comes with RE050A tires and the 328 comes with RE050A II tires.

Supposely, (according to nasioc.com and I can't find the thread now) there is a non trivial difference in traction between those two compounds (the 'II' compound is grippier, and the 'pole position' compound is grippier still). I suspect this explains the differences in our experience with the OE tires
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 10:01 PM   #6
satakal
Major
Rep
Drives: e46

How much cash do you stand to win when you win the autocross? I'd say, if the purse is less than $300, just run bypass plugs for the autox.

The real answer... Whatever gives you the most predictable power delivery. If power comes on in an unexpected fashion, you'll be doing damage control instead of driving. Predictable usually = flat like Fu Mingxia torque curve.
________
Pattaya property

Last edited by satakal; 08-16-2011 at 05:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 10:07 PM   #7
longodj
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335xi  [0.00]
1974 VW Beetle  [0.00]
Quote:
Dave,

I'm not suggesting the OEM tires are the 'it' tires, I'm merely suggesting that I find my 328i with these RE050A II tires appears to have similar cornering ability to my old WRX with similarly sized Falken RT615 tires.

Also, I just recently found out that the 335i comes with RE050A tires and the 328 comes with RE050A II tires.

Supposely, (according to nasioc.com and I can't find the thread now) there is a non trivial difference in traction between those two compounds (the 'II' compound is grippier, and the 'pole position' compound is grippier still). I suspect this explains the differences in our experience with the OE tires
Of course, and I am sure that is true. I guess my XI came with nasty Conti run flats and I thought those tires felt like they were iced down before driving Your viewpoint on sticking OE through the learning process is a very important one. My viewpoint is the same...with different tires
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2008, 01:06 AM   #8
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by longodj View Post
sticking OE through the learning process is a very important one.
UUC Sway Bars, KW V3, KMAC Stg 2, Hotchkis Chassis Brace <> stock : j/k

So on a random note, it looks like I am going through 1/32" of tread every month (~1250mi of driving/month) .. I guess the OEM isn't kidding about the 140 tread wear rating

Let me know how those Dunlop tires work out, since it looks like I'll be in the market for rubber soon too

OP.. I doubt you are going to get rid of the chip, so just get max powA!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2008, 01:49 AM   #9
longodj
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335xi  [0.00]
1974 VW Beetle  [0.00]
Quote:

So on a random note, it looks like I am going through 1/32" of tread every month (~1250mi of driving/month) .. I guess the OEM isn't kidding about the 140 tread wear rating

Let me know how those Dunlop tires work out, since it looks like I'll be in the market for rubber soon too

lol well all of the learning I've done this year has been just on Kosei/RE01R. The sway bars were added in the last few weeks, the V3, KMAC are in the shop now and the Chassis Brace hasn't arrived yet I'll let you know about the Dunlops
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2008, 11:49 AM   #10
BlueLion
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:

im still on the fence about how serious i want to get with it....i really dont have the time.

i just want to know if the best answer is to run the bypass or a custom map...which ever would help the best

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2008, 01:08 PM   #11
satakal
Major
Rep
Drives: e46

if you're all stock besides the tune... bypass plugs so that you can see how you fare vs the other 6 cyl stock guys. The car has more than enough power to make managing it a challenge. IMO, take one variable out of the equation and focus on the rest. That one variable being "rediculous torque".
________
WASHINGTON MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARIES

Last edited by satakal; 08-16-2011 at 06:00 PM..
Appreciate 0