E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > first wax

06-27-2005, 06:19 PM   #1
phi2134
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

first wax

ive heard two different views on when you should first wax your new car. Some people are saying dont wax for 6 months and some are saying wax after the first wash, can anyone clear this up for me
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2005, 09:17 PM   #2
agarbati
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90, Saph Blk 330i

Washed with Meguiar's gel, Z-6, Z-2, Z-6 two days after I took delivery.

Repeated twice yesterday and car surface looks like a mirror, not even one swirl mark. Microfibre and polymer wax combo is the shiznit.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2005, 11:50 PM   #3
BMW 2006
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330I - '06 - 6 Spd

I hear wait to wax also! Has anyone actually asked a BMW Dealer?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2005, 12:33 AM   #4
jiggax23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90

i've waxed my car about 3 times already =X
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2005, 01:02 AM   #5
Jesse Wilson
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325I

I am going to do mine right away, evidently it's ok. As long as some body shop didn't just paint it you'll be fine.

Jesse
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2005, 02:15 PM   #6
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
I have included the recommendations from PPG. They make the paint that BMW and many other manufacturers use. In short wait for 90 days. The link to this information is: http://www.ppg.com/car_autocoat/enthusiast.htm

I hope this helps.
-------
Tips For The Care Of Your New Car Finish

Be sure to consult your owner's manual for specifics regarding the care of your new car finish. They are the experts.

Here are some general tips that we are sure you will find valuable...

In the first 90 days
It is recommended that you not wax or polish the vehicle. This will allow the finish to completely dry and cure. (When you are ready to wax, do not use silicone containing or super polymer containing waxes or polishes) Today's finishes do not need such extreme protection and if your vehicle were involved in an accident, the removal of such waxes would be time consuming and expensive.

In the first 30 days
It is recommended that you not use a commercial car wash. Stiff brushes or sponges could mar the finish and damage the surface. Wash the vehicle by hand with cool clean water only. Be sure to use a soft cloth or sponge.

Wash the vehicle in the shade only - Never in the sun.

Do not dry wipe the vehicle... always use clean cool water. Dry wiping can cause scratches.

Extreme heat or cold should be avoided. Keep the vehicle parked in the shade whenever possible.

Do not drive on gravel roads. Chipping the finish is easily done in the first 30 days.

Do not park under trees which are known to drop sap or near factories with heavy smoke fallout. Sap and industrial fallout can mar or spot a new finish.

Keep in mind that trees attract birds. Bird droppings have a high acid content and will damage a new freshly painted surface. If it happens, wash the area off as quickly as possible

Do not spill gasoline, oil, antifreeze, transmission fluid or windshield solvent on the new finish. If you do...Rinse it off immediately with water. Try not to wipe the area. If you must do so gently.

Do not scrape ice or snow from the surface. Your snow scraper will act very much like a paint scraper on a freshly painted surface.

Use common sense... If you think some substance or action may be hard on the paint, it probably will.

Last edited by Pyrat 2; 07-03-2005 at 11:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2005, 07:38 PM   #7
Hunter399
Major General
Rep
Drives: F90M5

car care

I live in Houston Texas, were these is aweful polution. When ever I drive around I always some how attract a TON of dust on the car. I tried to use a microfiber cloth to wipe it off, and I looked very closely and saw no scratches, it worked very well!. Any other ideas on how to deal with this problem?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2005, 07:56 PM   #8
fusionnv
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by phi2134
ive heard two different views on when you should first wax your new car. Some people are saying dont wax for 6 months and some are saying wax after the first wash, can anyone clear this up for me
You can do it. What do you think BMW did at the prepping. They used wax on your car before they gave it to you. I know also for a fact honda/acura also does it.

Having fun driving it.
Appreciate 0