ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-14-2008, 07:15 AM   #1
daveysew
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '91 318is/'05 Z4 SC/'18 440ix

iPhone integration?

Does anyone have a good integration option for an iPhone and their Z4? I've got a DICE unit from Tom @ EAS that plays fine, but won't charge. Haven't had a phone call yet with it connected to test phone function. I've also got an aftermarket panasonic with the panasonic direct connection that does the same, plays but won't charge.

Anyone have it all dialed in?

dave
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 10:25 AM   #2
daveysew
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I lied...

I only tried the unit for a few minutes withmy DICE unit when I first got it and hand no playlists synced. Now that I've had the chance to sych it and play with it... well...

The DICE does not support charging, does not display track listings, does not support anytype of browsing (track, playlist, album, chapter). If you put it in either chapter or album mode (CD 3 or 4) and press the > button it will randomly play another track.

So it will play, but functionality is pretty much useless. I guess if you just fill it with music and don't care what you hear it's all right, but otherwise my experience with it is a very strong "Don't Buy" for use with iPhone. Guess I'll keep using my 3rd generation 40G ipod for music in the Z.

Interesting thing is I was right about the panasonic aftermarket head unit I have in my E30, it supports browsing by playlist, artist, album; displays track data; but doesn't support charging.

Any DICE users with an iPhone I'd love some feedback regarding any work arounds / firmware updates you've found to increase functionality. Tom any suggestions for us?

dave
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 04:07 PM   #3
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
What software version are you running on your iPhone?

I don't have DICE, I am just curious.

ps. If you Message tom@eas he is very helpful and active on this forum.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 10:10 PM   #4
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveysew View Post
I only tried the unit for a few minutes withmy DICE unit when I first got it and hand no playlists synced. Now that I've had the chance to sych it and play with it... well...

The DICE does not support charging, does not display track listings, does not support anytype of browsing (track, playlist, album, chapter). If you put it in either chapter or album mode (CD 3 or 4) and press the > button it will randomly play another track.

So it will play, but functionality is pretty much useless. I guess if you just fill it with music and don't care what you hear it's all right, but otherwise my experience with it is a very strong "Don't Buy" for use with iPhone. Guess I'll keep using my 3rd generation 40G ipod for music in the Z.

Interesting thing is I was right about the panasonic aftermarket head unit I have in my E30, it supports browsing by playlist, artist, album; displays track data; but doesn't support charging.

Any DICE users with an iPhone I'd love some feedback regarding any work arounds / firmware updates you've found to increase functionality. Tom any suggestions for us?

dave
Not 100% true. The main SILVERLINE features would be the following:

Browse by Artist with full Artist Directory listings
Browse by Album with full Album Directory listings
Browse by Playlist with full Playlist Directory listings
ID3 text display, showing Artist, Song title and Album while the song is in play.

The iPhone is compatible with 1 exception - charging. The iPhone uses a USB charging circuit while all other iPods are firewire.

DICE is looking into a solution and we will present it to the forums when completed.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2008, 10:28 PM   #5
daveysew
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Thanks for the info Tom

I'm running version 2.0.1 software on my iPhone, I don't know what version of DICE (Silverline or something else) but as I have I stated I get no control or display functionality at all when connected to my iPhone, only a randomly played tracks. I also loose all ability to control playback from the iPhone the screen shows a graphic with a message stating accessory attached. My 3rd generation (black & white screen) 40GB iPod works exactly as Tom has described and does allow control from the iPod itself, but the iPhone... no dice (pardon the pun). Tom, are there older versions of DICE (not ice/Link) but before Silverline that don't support iPhone or may I have a defective unit?

I'm also curious about your comment regarding charging is that the iPhone uses USB but iPods use firewire. This is incorrect as beginning with 5th generation of iPods they were not firewire compatible. If you used an older iPod dock to firewire cable to connect the iPod to your computer you would get an error message indicated that this iPod is not supported by firewire. This is why I've never upgraded my old 3rd gen as my desktop where I keep all my media is a G4 Cube that does not have USB 2.0 support but does have firewire.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 07:52 PM   #6
yeldarb
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe

Wow I am glad to find this thread. I've been struggling with trying to install a DICE Silverline kit in my 2007 Z4 M Coupe. First off, I had trouble discerning whether I need the DICE DSP kit or not. I do have DSP, but turns out this is a "newer" "Digital DSP" and only the older Analog DSP need the adapter. (I could have this wrong, but in any case I could not use the DSP Kit with my car because there was not the connector present.)

I followed the instructions EXACTLY with connecting the 6 pin, then the 3 pin CD changer connector, and waiting 45 seconds after ignition key turned on, etc. I could not get any sound out of my iPhone (original, not 3G) when connected to the unit. I could get some text on the screen, but the controls were wacky and slow... really unusable as far as I am concerned.

I guess maybe the iPhone is not compatible. Shame. I absolutely love my iPhone and will give up a lot of other things before the iPhone. I guess I'll return all the DICE crap and just go back to using the AUX input. At least BMW has a nice jack located in a semi-convenient place above the ashtray area.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 08:27 PM   #7
AlanL
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 328ix Sports Wagon

yeldarb - seems clear you can now ignore my post over on bimerforums about looking here for more info.
      12-29-2008, 11:16 AM   #8
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeldarb View Post
Wow I am glad to find this thread. I've been struggling with trying to install a DICE Silverline kit in my 2007 Z4 M Coupe. First off, I had trouble discerning whether I need the DICE DSP kit or not. I do have DSP, but turns out this is a "newer" "Digital DSP" and only the older Analog DSP need the adapter. (I could have this wrong, but in any case I could not use the DSP Kit with my car because there was not the connector present.)

I followed the instructions EXACTLY with connecting the 6 pin, then the 3 pin CD changer connector, and waiting 45 seconds after ignition key turned on, etc. I could not get any sound out of my iPhone (original, not 3G) when connected to the unit. I could get some text on the screen, but the controls were wacky and slow... really unusable as far as I am concerned.

I guess maybe the iPhone is not compatible. Shame. I absolutely love my iPhone and will give up a lot of other things before the iPhone. I guess I'll return all the DICE crap and just go back to using the AUX input. At least BMW has a nice jack located in a semi-convenient place above the ashtray area.
Just replied to your other thread on Bimmerforums. While we didn't sell you the kit, I know where the problem(s) lie.

Your MZ4C has analog DSP, the DSP adapter wasn't needed or should have been sold to you in the first place. Here's a link that will show you how to access the correct connectors. Albiet it's for Sirius, but the same connections are used:

http://www.europeanautosource.com/su...&root=23&id=41

The rest of the issues are configuration related. Perform the following steps to rid of the SPEED DIALING message:

1. First verify you are in the correct text mode by pressing CD6/TRACK6, then pressing CD1 to exit that mode.
2. Press MENU>GPS NAVIGATION>MAPS while playing a song on your iPod.

Use the screen toggle button (looks like 2 squares next to the volume control) to toggle between screens.

Let me know if you should need additional help.

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 12:19 PM   #9
yeldarb
Rep

iPhone DICE features

Thanks for your suggestion of the two steps to rid the SPEED DIALING problem. Do you mean I need to do this once, or every time?

Quote:
1. First verify you are in the correct text mode by pressing CD6/TRACK6, then pressing CD1 to exit that mode.
2. Press MENU>GPS NAVIGATION>MAPS while playing a song on your iPod.
This doesn't explain why I am not getting any sound at all, however.

Since posting this I have done about three hours of reading the various related threads on this forum. I saw the photos you reference (Sirius) that show the connectors. Yes, this is what I did. The 6-pin first, then wait, then the 3-pin.

Also, I after reading the forums I also have several other questions.

A) What are the DIP switch settings supposed to be set at? I understand the manual is wrong or something? I did not change them at all from when I received the unit.

B) What functions am I supposed to have when using this with the iPhone? Will it Charge when in use? When not in use? I see there is some update for USB charging or whatever. I'm confused, so I will just ask... I have an original iPhone, and my DICE cable has a blue mini-DIN connector. Would the answer be the same for iPhone 3G? (I am considering buying one.)

C) Will I be able to use the iPhone screen at all when it's in use by the DICE? Will I be able to browse songs or artists or playlists without the song changing, until I actually SELECT the browsed song? (Or does it, as some report, change the song as soon as you start browsing?)

D) I'm confused about the AUX. My E86 already has an AUX port below the radio. I understand the DICE also has an AUX port. Does the DICE AUX REPLACE, or does it supplement the built-in AUX? I would prefer to keep the built-in AUX as it's in a convenient place and it does work. In my opinion the fewer changes the better. Perhaps the DICE can be configured either way, regarding the AUX? Some better instructions here would be helpful.

E) Will I be able to use my iPhone as a Bluetooth phone when the DICE is in use? I have already paired my iPhone with the BMW phone system and it seems to work fine. I'd like to NOT lose this feature.

Some other comments/suggestions:

AA) I've read in several places that you encourage the user to "reset" everything by disconnecting the battery cables, etc. Is this really necessary? Are you just suggesting this because the unit is usually buried in the back trunk area and difficult to get at?

BB) I might strongly suggest that in the future, DICE design this model with some kind of RESET button on the unit itself. This way, the long cable could be connected to the 6- and 3-pin connectors in the back, and the cable run up to the center console where both the DICE module and the iPod/iPhone could be stored. In the event a reset is needed, it would then be easy. Suggesting that the 3-pin cable be disconnected and reconnected, or the battery cables.... is really too much to ask for most end-users, IMHO.

Thanks for your dedication to supporting this product. I really would like to make it work but I'm at the end of my rope.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 02:42 PM   #10
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Thanks for your suggestion of the two steps to rid the SPEED DIALING problem. Do you mean I need to do this once, or every time?
This would only need to be performed once.

Quote:
This doesn't explain why I am not getting any sound at all, however.

Since posting this I have done about three hours of reading the various related threads on this forum. I saw the photos you reference (Sirius) that show the connectors. Yes, this is what I did. The 6-pin first, then wait, then the 3-pin.
You never mentioned anything about a 6-pin in your original post, only that you were sold a Digital DSP kit. The DSP adapter is not required for your MZ4C.

Connect the trunk harness (sans DSP module) to the 3/6 pin connectors - the 6-pin carries the audio stream.

Quote:
Also, I after reading the forums I also have several other questions.

A) What are the DIP switch settings supposed to be set at? I understand the manual is wrong or something? I did not change them at all from when I received the unit.
DIP switches should be in the UP UP UP UP positions.

Quote:
B) What functions am I supposed to have when using this with the iPhone? Will it Charge when in use? When not in use? I see there is some update for USB charging or whatever. I'm confused, so I will just ask... I have an original iPhone, and my DICE cable has a blue mini-DIN connector. Would the answer be the same for iPhone 3G? (I am considering buying one.)
We didn't sell you the kit, so I can't confirm you have the latest version.

You should have a dock connector with a blue connector, the kits as of last week are shipping with green dock connectors. Either of these (if purchased as a complete kit) will charge the 3G iphone. [/QUOTE]

Quote:
C) Will I be able to use the iPhone screen at all when it's in use by the DICE? Will I be able to browse songs or artists or playlists without the song changing, until I actually SELECT the browsed song? (Or does it, as some report, change the song as soon as you start browsing?)
Only the iPod-specific features of the iPhone are locked. All other applications, phone, etc are still open.

Quote:
D) I'm confused about the AUX. My E86 already has an AUX port below the radio. I understand the DICE also has an AUX port. Does the DICE AUX REPLACE, or does it supplement the built-in AUX? I would prefer to keep the built-in AUX as it's in a convenient place and it does work. In my opinion the fewer changes the better. Perhaps the DICE can be configured either way, regarding the AUX? Some better instructions here would be helpful.
The DICE add an AUX port. If you already have a BMW AUX port installed, it's pretty much a moot point - just use the BMW AUX port.

Quote:
E) Will I be able to use my iPhone as a Bluetooth phone when the DICE is in use? I have already paired my iPhone with the BMW phone system and it seems to work fine. I'd like to NOT lose this feature.
Yes, Bluetooth will operate as normal, with the DICE muting while a call is in progress.

Some other comments/suggestions:

Quote:
AA) I've read in several places that you encourage the user to "reset" everything by disconnecting the battery cables, etc. Is this really necessary? Are you just suggesting this because the unit is usually buried in the back trunk area and difficult to get at?
Yes - absolutely necessary and critical to proper installation.

Quote:
BB) I might strongly suggest that in the future, DICE design this model with some kind of RESET button on the unit itself. This way, the long cable could be connected to the 6- and 3-pin connectors in the back, and the cable run up to the center console where both the DICE module and the iPod/iPhone could be stored. In the event a reset is needed, it would then be easy. Suggesting that the 3-pin cable be disconnected and reconnected, or the battery cables.... is really too much to ask for most end-users, IMHO.

Thanks for your dedication to supporting this product. I really would like to make it work but I'm at the end of my rope.
Appreciate the suggestion, but would be unnecessary if the battery cables were removed before installation.

Let me know if you have any questions - this thread is fine to eliminate cross posting.

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 02:58 PM   #11
yeldarb
Rep

Quote:
You never mentioned anything about a 6-pin in your original post, only that you were sold a Digital DSP kit. The DSP adapter is not required for your MZ4C.
Actually, I did mention 6-pin. From original post :
Quote:
"I followed the instructions EXACTLY with connecting the 6 pin, then the 3 pin CD changer connector..."
Quote:
Connect the trunk harness (sans DSP module) to the 3/6 pin connectors - the 6-pin carries the audio stream.
Apparently not in mine. As I said, I get no sound (ever.)

Quote:
DIP switches should be in the UP UP UP UP positions.
OK thank you.

Quote:
We didn't sell you the kit, so I can't confirm you have the latest version.
Yes I'm sorry about that. I wish I had found you guys first. Google search seems to prefer those other guys.

Quote:
You should have a dock connector with a blue connector, the kits as of last week are shipping with green dock connectors. Either of these (if purchased as a complete kit) will charge the 3G iphone.
If you read my question, I asked about the iPhone (original) (FYI it's not called iPhone 2G) which I have, and also the iPhone 3G which I am considering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeldarb
Quote:
Yes - absolutely necessary and critical to proper installation.
But why? This makes no sense. Are you saying that something in the vehicle (outside of the DICE) needs to be "reset"? This makes me nervous as it's messing with the electronics of the car, which is only leased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeldarb
Quote:
Appreciate the suggestion, but would be unnecessary if the battery cables were removed before installation.
Again, my point is that disconnecting the battery is a pain in the neck, and should not be needed if the DICE unit had a proper RESET button or something... my other point was that the trunk take-apart should only need to be done ONCE to install the cable... then the DICE module and iPod cable all located in the center console or elsewhere... no need to ever take apart all the trunk/hatch trim again. That is also a real pain, and there's potential for owners to accidentally damage something.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 03:01 PM   #12
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Actually, I did mention 6-pin. From original post :

Apparently not in mine. As I said, I get no sound (ever.)

OK thank you.

Yes I'm sorry about that. I wish I had found you guys first. Google search seems to prefer those other guys.

If you read my question, I asked about the iPhone (original) (FYI it's not called iPhone 2G) which I have, and also the iPhone 3G which I am considering.

But why? This makes no sense. Are you saying that something in the vehicle (outside of the DICE) needs to be "reset"? This makes me nervous as it's messing with the electronics of the car, which is only leased.

Again, my point is that disconnecting the battery is a pain in the neck, and should not be needed if the DICE unit had a proper RESET button or something... my other point was that the trunk take-apart should only need to be done ONCE to install the cable... then the DICE module and iPod cable all located in the center console or elsewhere... no need to ever take apart all the trunk/hatch trim again. That is also a real pain, and there's potential for owners to accidentally damage something.
The DICE doesn't need to recognize the BMW, the BMW needs to recognize the DICE. A reset button would be pointless.

Can you email me pictures of your connections so I can verify on my end?

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 03:30 PM   #13
yeldarb
Rep

Tom,

Can you post the instructions that you offer for this DICE module? If I 'm going to open up the back (again... something like 5th time) to take a photo of the connectors like you ask, I will make one more try at the install. BUT I want to do it using your instructions, not the obviously inferior ones I got with my unit.

In fact, I will return what I have (already need to return the DSP anyway) and buy the DICE from you if you can make it work.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 03:33 PM   #14
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Tom,

Can you post the instructions that you offer for this DICE module? If I 'm going to open up the back (again... something like 5th time) to take a photo of the connectors like you ask, I will make one more try at the install. BUT I want to do it using your instructions, not the obviously inferior ones I got with my unit.

In fact, I will return what I have (already need to return the DSP anyway) and buy the DICE from you if you can make it work.
I don't have instructions specific to the Z4, sorry. Access to the 3 & 6 pin connectors is all that is needed.

Appreciate 0