E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Cooling the intercooler

08-10-2008, 11:47 AM   #1
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 MW M4

Cooling the intercooler

I found that spritzing cold water on the IC (through the grill) b4 a 1/4 mile run seems to help. I see people throwing ice on their superchargers between runs but I haven't seen anyone wetting their FMIC like this.

What do you guys think, performance or placebo?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2008, 01:48 PM   #2
sd390r
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3

Garage List
2008 E90 335i  [0.00]
re

get that office cleaner dust spray... turn the can upside down and spray it on your intercooler before a 1/4 run... will only last a minute or two but is said to work
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2008, 05:40 PM   #3
longodj
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2007 335xi  [0.00]
1974 VW Beetle  [0.00]
http://www.designengineering.com/pro...asp?m=sp&pid=5
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 10:57 AM   #4
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 MW M4

Quote:
In at least one land speed record attempt, Gale Banks used nitrous oxide, not internally as a power-adder, but as the medium into which the heat was transferred from the charge air. The nitrous oxide was held in bottles and released through the intercoolers' cooling fins and exhausted directly to the atmosphere. Extra cooling by nitrous oxide spraying on the front of the intercooler is now a related commercially available upgrade.

Extra cooling of the charge air can be achieved also by externally spraying water on the front of the intercooler. This can be activated automatically or manually, and is far cheaper to refill than nitrous oxide.
My simple theory is that spraying the FMIC with water before a run helps the cooling efficiency of the FMIC's fins. It's not a track racing solution as the water would dry in a hurry, but I think it works for the couple of minutes you wait in the staging lane and the seconds needed to run the 1/4.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 11:55 AM   #5
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkplug View Post
What do you guys think, performance or placebo?
I used to place ice on the top mount intercooler in my WRX in between HPDE sessions, mostly to try and fight off the heat soak as long as possible.

Personally, I think the 'gain' is really just preventing power loss from heat (in the case of the WRX, the ECU would pull timing as the IC got heat soaked to prevent detonation)
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 03:11 PM   #6
335TrackAddict
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

Ask and ye shall receive.

I've installed a misting system on my 335i for road course usage. It involves the Arizona Mist "cooling system" along with a 150psi Shurflo pump (same one used on meth injection systems).

It is not an easy project. There is nary a place to mount the pump so I had to make a metal bracket and install it on the driver's side bumper. Basically where the oil cooler would be, if there was one on the driver's side. Then the reservoir was just jammed in the engine compartment and zip tied.

It is activated via pushbutton right now. I wanted to test it before getting too fancy. Two nozzles on the IC, four on the radiator and one on the oil cooler. You can calculate water usage by the nozzle specs and I sized the water tank to accommodate a 30 minute session, assuming 30% use.

The test involved running a 20 minute track session with half of the session without spray followed by 1/2 with spray. The misting lowered the intake air temps by about 15-20 degrees. Coolant dropped by about 10 degrees and oil dropped by less. This was all done with misting on the straights.

The key is that you need to make sure that you aren't dousing the IC.

Ever notice how it's quick to get water to boil but takes a while to evaporate it all? That's because it takes a ton more energy to convert water into steam. If you are just dumping water on the IC and it just runs off, the system will be less effective AND you will piss off your trackmates. You want it to MIST and instantly evaporate. Water's latent heat of evaporation (amount of heat to evaporate known quantity of water) is one of the highest out there.

So it works...but it ain't easy.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 04:22 PM   #7
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335TrackAddict View Post
The misting lowered the intake air temps by about 15-20 degrees. Coolant dropped by about 10 degrees and oil dropped by less.
Awesome, thanks for the info. Are you able to pull out timing advance from your logs as well?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 06:04 PM   #8
335TrackAddict
Private
Rep

Yes. As is obvious, when IATs went down, timing advance wasn't retarded nearly as much.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 08:39 PM   #9
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Yes. As is obvious, when IATs went down, timing advance wasn't retarded nearly as much.
Right.

I wanted to know if timing as ADDED as a result of this cooling. I'm trying to validate my hypothesis that "the 'gain' (of cooling the IC)is really just preventing power loss from heat "
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 09:26 PM   #10
335TrackAddict
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Nazareno View Post
Right.

I wanted to know if timing as ADDED as a result of this cooling. I'm trying to validate my hypothesis that "the 'gain' (of cooling the IC)is really just preventing power loss from heat "
Well being that I only hit the button during long straights, after trackout, I was only mitigating temperature rise.

Because of that, it was mitigating the timing retard. In other words, not dialing back timing as much.

If the IC makes it cooler than stock, perhaps it'll advance timing beyond the baseline. But I surmise it just mitigates temp rise like my spray system, therefore just mitigates timing retard.

Not sure I understand your question.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 10:53 PM   #11
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Not sure I understand your question.
your last post answered it thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 01:07 PM   #12
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep
Drives: 三三五i

Garage List
Anybody with the cold weather package thought about retrofitting the headlight washers as IC / oil cooler misters? Would require a momentary switch of some sort to activate them and not the windshield washer, but I can't imagine that being a gigantic feat of engineering...

I always wanted to tackle that project but I don't do enough 1/4 mile or HPDE stuff to really give it a go.
      08-12-2008, 02:41 PM   #13
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowbow View Post
Anybody with the cold weather package thought about retrofitting the headlight washers as IC / oil cooler misters? Would require a momentary switch of some sort to activate them and not the windshield washer, but I can't imagine that being a gigantic feat of engineering...

I always wanted to tackle that project but I don't do enough 1/4 mile or HPDE stuff to really give it a go.
You would need higher pressure to make it atomize correctly. As 335TrackAddict said, you can't just dump water on it.
Appreciate 0