BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) Couple Oddities and comments after 1,000 miles

06-10-2019, 02:06 PM   #1
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

Couple Oddities and comments after 1,000 miles

So I just rolled over my break in period and have a couple of thoughts I figured I'd put in here.

I noticed Friday that my cigarette lighter adapter/charger for my phone was out and I thought maybe my cable was dead/broken. I plugged it into the USB slot and it worked.. so I thought maybe my adapter died. I walked to the trunk and plugged it in and it also did not work. My dash cam is plugged into the socket underneath the glove box, and it was on so I thought yes.. adapter dead. I went and got another adapter from my other car and it also did not work, so then I was stumped that I blew a fuse already. Now the only fuse box is actually located inside the glove box per the manual and no diagrams are present (thanks BMW.. the owners manual said take it to a dealer to replace fuses.. really?). They have a folded piece of paper inside the fuse box with only pictures (not text) of each fuse. So I picked out the diagram that my old e60 lists as a cigarette lighter fuse and went to look. There are 5 or 6 fuses listed.. some don't exist, and the others are located further up or further down but not visible nor accessible from the fuse door. I pulled out fuse 65 (the second one on the list if my memory is incorrect). And it did knock out the dashcam power. Since I could not access anymore fuses I was frustrated and just plugged it back in. Low and behold the front cigarette adapter turned on. I cannot fathom how in the heck does that work out, but it did. So if anyone's looking.. that seems to be the fuse.

Next task was.. let's see if the launch control activates. It does not mention how to do it on the manual, but google told me how BMW does it. You put your car into sport mode, flip the gear lever to the left but do not change the gears. Turn off traction control. Then stomp on the brake pedal with your left foot, and press the gas pedal. It will say launch control activated on the bottom right of your display in the speedometer. I didn't bother launching.. just wanted to know it would work.

Coding: I did some coding for my friend on his F10 5 series and noticed a lot of options on the heads up display... which we have no real options of the HUD in bimmercode right now. It would certainly be nice to have things like turn signals on the HUD and even gears would be nice. In addition to all I coded, I tried no long press needed to open/close the rear hatch but I cannot close the rear hatch with the remote, only open it. Bummer! I also wish we could code the steering wheel to be hotter, we can only do that with the seat heating, but not the steering wheel. Text messages turned on.. but nope still doesn't do it with my android phone, although I don't really care.

Brakes and pedal.. still a little touchy for my liking, one of my friends who drove my car thought the same thing. I'm certainly better at it after 1K miles, but still the brakes are a little too sensitive. Gas pedal is also a little jerky. Someone else had the same issue in another thread but when going up my parking garage every day at work it's pretty steep. After coming to a stop or pause when I get on the pedal it has a little tendency to jerk me too much. It is a little better on comfort mode for me since there is a longer soft spot. Going downhill is not an issue, really just the uphill.

Brake dust.. as per BMW stock pads.. suck so bad, it is dusty as ever.

ACC stop and go.. big disappointment I couldn't get this with the heated wheel.

The stereo system I got stuck with ( in stock model) is the hifi (stock in the US) vs the harmon kardon. I am definitely saying that although I'm not and audiophile, I can really hear the lesser quality. Still with the $900 difference I'm not sure what direction I'll go. I think I will add tweeters first and see if it can add range before I worry about the amps and speakers. The Bavsound and Audisson options look good but are a lot more expensive ( but I've read they would both out perform the HK system).

Why they don't have blind spot detection? I know everyone's asking this. I'm not missing it but still curious.

Also the pedestrian warning and collision detection system I'm not sure if they even work. I've had the pedestrian warning go off twice now going up the parking ramp at work (false alarm) But it didn't do a thing other than flash and beep. Same goes with collision warning.. I read it only works at low speeds, but I've only had it come on at highway speeds when I am slowing down fast or someone cuts me off.

Otherwise, the car is zippy and fun. Exhaust sounds great. While I'm at it.. I believe because of the electronic throttle it doesn't let me free rev it very crazy. The couple of times I wanted to hear it burble and pop when the car is parked I can floor it and the rpms just take it's sweet old time climbing... a big buzzkill. Suspension is pretty good on all the potholed roads even with the 19" runflats.

Anyone have any cool tips/tricks or comments?

Last edited by rice_rocket88; 06-10-2019 at 09:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 04:20 PM   #2
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 orange x2 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_rocket88 View Post

Also the pedestrian warning and collision detection system I'm not sure if they even work. I've had the pedestrian warning go off twice now going up the parking ramp at work (false alarm) But it didn't do a thing other than flash and beep. Same goes with collision warning.. I read it only works at low speeds, but I've only had it come on at highway speeds when I am slowing down fast or someone cuts me off.
We have the same pedestrian warning system the X1 does and it's the only one that fails IIHS testing with a 0 score.

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 06:49 PM   #3
F39M35i
Rep
Drives: BMW X2 M35i

congrats on hitting 1k miles. I just went over 1000 miles as well on my M35i. though the manual says 1200 miles, so im going to start get a little punchy before i fully unleash the power later on.

on the note on launch control. it actually IS in the manual. its under the "Controls" and then"Driving" section. Theres a detailed write up giving a step by step info.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 09:22 PM   #4
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

Dianebrat .. yeah I searched for some answers to that pedestrian warning and saw that video with the horrible BMW rating.. yikes!

F39M35i whoops..I must have missed that or forgotten about it in the manual. Thanks for clarifying it's there.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 11:26 AM   #5
skr9
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i, 2001 Audi TT

Thanks for the commentary - appreciate hearing about your impressions. Which version are you driving?
Bostonian here also - so perhaps we will see each other on the road!
So you did do coding on yours? Which adapter are you using?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 12:37 PM   #6
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

What version? An X2 m35i ? Sorry if I misunderstood your question. Funny thing is yesterday I saw my first m35i on the road, a galvanic grey one with 20 inch wheels. Was hoping to wave to the driver, but it was a middle aged woman that didn't seem to care I'm using the bimmercode and the obdlink lx? If you're not going to be interested in any future coding, you can buy me a beer and we can code away your car sometime... but for under $100 you can be good to go! On a side note, if you are using an iphone you'll have to get the mx or mx+ adapter which costs more.. but there are a couple other options of adapters.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 12:57 PM   #7
skr9
Private
United_States
Rep

I'll probably just want to make some of the basic coding once I get it and be done with it - so the price of a beer seems fair to me! I suspect I will not be taking delivery until early/mid August, but I'll drop a line once I get it. Now that I have an actual order number, the waiting will drive me nuts :-P
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 01:18 PM   #8
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

I'm so bad at waiting usually. I was tempted to build my own car, but since there were 3 in the lot already and the misano blue really caught my eye, I couldn't refuse the $$ deal I got from picking up one from the lot vs building my own and waiting. It is kind of cool though that you're getting a 2020 model already by the time you take delivery!

I was almost going to gripe that the X2 didn't have the side mirror turn signals, because I was following my wife and noticed on her X1 I could actually see the blinkers from the mirror... where I was looking at mine and couldn't see a thing. I thought I was going crazy! But when I parked the car, we do indeed have the mirror signals. Another note: The special cerium grey trim stains like a horrible rust spot with water! The large mirror caps are a poor display of that.. billnchristy said he waxed them like mad and it helped. I put on the paint protection film and that solves it permanently as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 01:44 PM   #9
rounderman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X2 M35

Garage List
2019 BMW X2 M35  [9.50]
I used:
BimmerCode for IOS
iPhone 5s
Veepeak OBDCheck BLE (the cheap one)

The iPhone is an old one I re-purposed it was definitely under 100. The adapter I used was 32 plus the cost of the software. in the coded thread I outlined my process. the car is fun. I second Rice, I thought I could have handled a build but I couldn't get anywhere near a great deal (local or west coast large volume dealer) on a build. I got mine through a dealer swap and it took 2 weeks to come in and I was bouncing off the walls. Good luck with the build. Are you doing PCD? that was the only thing I didn't get which I wanted to do but the several thousand dollars I saved can fund a nice vacation
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 01:47 PM   #10
rounderman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW X2 M35  [9.50]
"Coding: I did some coding for my friend on his F10 5 series and noticed a lot of options on the heads up display... which we have no real options of the HUD in bimmercode right now. It would certainly be nice to have things like turn signals on the HUD and even gears would be nice. In addition to all I coded, I tried no long press needed to open/close the rear hatch but I cannot close the rear hatch with the remote, only open it. Bummer! I also wish we could code the steering wheel to be hotter, we can only do that with the seat heating, but not the steering wheel. Text messages turned on.. but nope still doesn't do it with my android phone, although I don't really care."

So Rice any idea on the text message thing? I am in your boat. The sad thing is way back in time my windows phone and my 2008 Acura read text messages to me and allowed me to respond with no gimmicks, just paired the phone
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 01:50 PM   #11
skr9
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the info on the bodywork and for the addl info on coding! Great meeting the new community
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 01:54 PM   #12
skr9
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rounderman View Post
I used:
BimmerCode for IOS
iPhone 5s
Veepeak OBDCheck BLE (the cheap one)

The iPhone is an old one I re-purposed it was definitely under 100. The adapter I used was 32 plus the cost of the software. in the coded thread I outlined my process. the car is fun. I second Rice, I thought I could have handled a build but I couldn't get anywhere near a great deal (local or west coast large volume dealer) on a build. I got mine through a dealer swap and it took 2 weeks to come in and I was bouncing off the walls. Good luck with the build. Are you doing PCD? that was the only thing I didn't get which I wanted to do but the several thousand dollars I saved can fund a nice vacation
I had to go the route of ordering as the Mineral Grey/Magma Red combo was a must - with ACC - and there was not a single X2 with ACC in the Northeast. Whats PCD? If that' European Delivery - no - not this time - but perhaps on my next BMW
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 03:28 PM   #13
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

rounderman : Nope no idea why the texts aren't going through.. although frankly I don't get many texts, usually through other apps so I'm not so bummed. I can't remember what car I had that worked, but it was neat.. but not used that much.

skr9 PCD is the performance center delivery which is in South Carolina? You get some of the fun driving it on the track.
https://bmwperformancecenter.com/

If any of you guys see the ultimate drive event through your town again, I really recommend it for fun. I did it this year because it came through, and used an additional 1K credit towards buying my car. Right now the m performance school is coming up, but it's in NY (where skr9 and I are in Boston).. this is a lot more in depth driving of M cars. It also costs some $$ vs the ultimate drive was free. I took a friend who has never really driven any car hard and he was blown away from the autocross. I myself haven't done it for at least 15 years and it still leaves a smile on my face. I miss all the car racing stuff.. I'll have to get back into it soon enough when the kids get a little older.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 04:01 PM   #14
rounderman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW X2 M35  [9.50]
we all have different tastes which is fun. In my case I definitely did not want ACC because it meant no heated steering wheel. It gets cold in these parts and that was part of my search criteria. If you can swing PCD it looks like a ton of fun. Even m,y wife was mildly disappointed we couldn't do it. On the other hand she was very happy I got a better deal on the car. I haven't hit 1000 miles yet so no craziness (yet) still enjoying the car and I did the DDC . not sure it is needed but I basically only drive in sport anyway.
Hope your wait goes fast
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 10:24 AM   #15
billnchristy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Garage List
I’m close to 4K now. Driving a base rav4 this week and boy do I miss my car! Gutless is an understatement. It really shows you how well Bmw knows their game. This car has 200hp, an 8 speed and weighs 300lb less and yet feels like a bus accelerating.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 07:30 PM   #16
DAC17
Long live BMW M's!
Rep
Drives: 2023 CT5-V

Just one comment so far (after a big 275 miles!). It seems that the throttle tip-in is quite abrupt, not as smooth as I would have thought. Didn't notice it on the test drive. Maybe I just wasn't focused, but has anyone else had this issue and been able to fix it?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 02:22 PM   #17
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

billnchristy: The v6 rav was a blast.. and very fast. I don't know why they decided to discontinue it! The regular rav.. yes it's pretty gutless!

dac17 I don't think there is a fix currently for that throttle tip in. Pedal box might work, but unsure. It was something that people used for cars with a deadspot in the throttle mapping, so that it was more linear. It may help out actually..

Which brings me to my gripes again about the brake/throttle sensitivity. I had to bring the wife's X1 to work today and my comments about the driving: The throttle sensitivity is way better than on the X2.. the deadspot isn't quite so weird and hanging, it's more gradual which is better. The brakes also don't seem quite so sensitive. Could be the lack of the M brakes.. could be that we have almost 40K on the car and the brakes are worn down a bit.. either way, both accelerating and braking were smoother than the X2.

One other comment: On the X2 in comfort and eco mode, when the car comes to a full stop the transmission disengages, which is VERY noticeable to me. In fact, sometimes when I'm driving it in comfort and come to a stop the transmission disengages just at the very moment I let off the brake to make a smooth stop, which ends up making it a clunky stop. I usually drive it in sport mode, so that doesn't happen, but I try to change it up a bit especially in stop and go just to see if it makes it smoother or not. If I have the gearshift to the left, however (ie comfort +?) then the transmission won't disengage on stop.

If I didn't have access to the 2016 X1 I wouldn't really be able to compare back to back and complain so much.. but since I do, these little things will add to my oddities thread.
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2019, 07:02 PM   #18
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

Just another note to add about the speedometer. I was goofing around with the units in the idrive settings. If you switch distance to the Km/h instead of MPH you can get the HUD or the digital speed in the cluster to display it. I was noticing that on our 2016 X1 there is the dual display on the speedometer with Km/h and mph and the thought dawned on me that when we drive up to Canada my car wouldn't have the available display. So that's the solution!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 03:07 PM   #19
billnchristy
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_rocket88 View Post
billnchristy: The v6 rav was a blast.. and very fast. I don't know why they decided to discontinue it! The regular rav.. yes it's pretty gutless!
The crazy thing is, I suspected, and confirmed yesterday that the RAV4 uses the same ASIN 8 speed as the X1 and normal X2. Our 35i have the high torque version but it's much the same unit only beefier.

Toyota programmed this thing to stay at 2000 rpm no matter what it seems. But, even when you forced it to rev out all it does it get louder. It has a sport shift mode that I don't even think they programmed differently. I totally understand why these trans get a bad rap when people drive them in non BMW cars, you would really think it was a complete dog unit.

It's quite clear that the programming in the M35i is quite good since almost all reviewers have mistakenly called it a ZF.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 01:49 PM   #20
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

So two more interesting things happened to me: Driving in regular crazy Boston traffic, and I got a huge yellow notification mark on the HUD and a beep saying "dangerous traffic situation" which I didn't see/notice anything out of the norm. I looked it up when I parked and it said sometimes it trips when it sees something on the shoulder that it thinks you might run into. Didn't check the manual if it listed it or not.

Second odd incident was the pedestrian warning. I mentioned that twice going up my parking garage ramp (very narrow concrete on both sides) It blinked/flashed but did nothing. This time I'm leaving my parking spot at the end of the day and it went off... but this time it PUNCHED the brakes. A nice screetch but no full stop. Guess it thought it saw something with the cars. If I get more of these weird false alarms I might just turn it off completely, especially since it got a failing ZERO rating on an independent tester for the pedestrian warning system.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 09:06 PM   #21
billnchristy
Major
Rep

Garage List
I’ve had the collision freak out a couple times but never got a ped alert at all.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 10:16 PM   #22
satz
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

After doing about 2000km in my new X2, I recently noticed the top edge of the driver's door doesn't close flush with the body (nor with the rear door). The bottom trailing edge is good, it's just the top rear 'corner' that sticks out about 2-3mm.

At least passenger front door is pretty well aligned.

Hopefully the dealer can fix it without ruining the door alignment in other areas of the door...
Appreciate 0