E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Hand-over-hand, 9-o'clock/3-o'clock, or "one-hour off"?

08-09-2008, 12:05 AM   #1
roy@gambitmotorsport
Something Else
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i coupe 6MT

Hand-over-hand, 9-o'clock/3-o'clock, or "one-hour off"?

I mostly autocross and canyon drive, but I'm interested in high-speed track experience, as well.

When I autocross, I start with 9-o'clock/3-o'clock positions on the wheel to start, but liberally hand-over-hand it when necessary - although, always at as slow a rate as I can: you don't need to be tearing your tires from the road.

When I canyon drive, I never have to hand-over-hand the steering wheel, but in setting up for every corner, I lower the outside hand "one hour off", to get it under the steering wheel's column on that side, I guess just for a secure feeling that no matter how my hands slip I'd always have control.

What's your experience with what's best in these situations? Should I be contorting my arms in what feels like un-natural positions during autocross or wearing racing gloves to greet the local enforcement on canyon drives? Thanks for any input. In the next year or so, once I really feel I've got autocross down, I do plan on heading to BMWCCA track events and later possibly SCCA.

Roy
      08-09-2008, 02:37 PM   #2
sg335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Research shuffle steering.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2008, 02:46 PM   #3
longodj
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2007 335xi  [0.00]
1974 VW Beetle  [0.00]
I use shuffle steering a lot but have been messing with my technique a bit. I think it was in "Speed Secrets" that they mention a technique where you always leave one hand on 9 or 3. Let's say you are taking a wide right turn. Leave your left hand at 9 O'Clock and shift your right hand to 1 O'Clock. Now when you are in the turn you right hand will be moved to 3 O'Clock and your left hand will be at 11 O'Clock. This way when tracking out you know exactly when you are straight by your hand positioning. This strategy also makes me much smoother than shuffle steering. IIRC one of my instructors yelled at me when steering hand over hand and I haven't done it since.

Last edited by longodj; 08-09-2008 at 03:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2008, 03:27 PM   #4
BlueLion
she likes the flavor......
United_States
Rep
Drives: A51-E92

Garage List
2022 X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by longodj View Post
I use shuffle steering a lot but have been messing with my technique a bit. I think it was in "Speed Secrets" that they mention a technique where you always leave on hand on 9 or 3. Let's say you are taking a wide right turn. Leave your left hand at 9 O'Clock and shift your right hand to 1 O'Clock. Now when you are in the turn you right hand will be moved to 3 O'Clock and your left hand will be at 11 O'Clock. This way when tracking out you know exactly when you are straight by your hand positioning. This strategy also makes me much smoother than shuffle steering. IIRC one of my instructors yelled at me when steering hand over hand and I haven't done it sense.
happened to me at my first autocross event by a female instrusctor....haven't done again.....even on the road

E92 Montego Blue silfa718 ..::STETT CAI|ADVAN RS|WAGNER FMIC|MS DP|VANGUARD|PROCEDE|FORGE DV|BMS OCC|KWV2|MICHELIN PSS|OOS::..

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2008, 06:43 PM   #5
roy@gambitmotorsport
Something Else
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg335 View Post
Research shuffle steering.
Copy that. But, in a right-hand turn with your hands at 3 and 9 on the wheel, if you had to rotate the wheel 120 degrees (so you're steady 9 is at "1"), would you keep the hold or shuffle? At BMW CCC they were telling me to keep it, at least with the top hand, maybe letting the bottom hand slide "an hour or two".

It sort of feels sort of unnatural to me, but if it works best once you get the hang of it, I should just adapt to it. At what point would you begin to shuffle steer and would it matter how quickly the turns were coming (autocross vs track)?
      08-10-2008, 08:37 PM   #6
roy@gambitmotorsport
Something Else
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwest888 View Post
They beat it into my head at Road Atlanta that I should not be shuffle steering. For the first session, I was sitting so close to the wheel that I couldn't turn it without my elbows hitting the bolsters on the seats. So I was moving my hands around in the turns. Moving the seat back a couple of clicks helped, in addition to raising the tilt steering wheel as high as it would go and telescoping it as close to the dash as it would go.

I think the steering ratio on our cars is good enough that just slightly over 90 degrees is as far as you need to turn on any track. Perhaps 110 is accurate. If I'm doing a 110 turn, I'll loosen my grip on the inside hand (for ergonomics) but keep it in position.
I do shuffle-steer at autocross and in the canyons, a little. Sometimes just to get my upper hand on the pushing side of a beam on the steering wheel. It's probably not necessary. I agree hardly any turn (taken properly) takes much more than 90 degrees of movement.

I've had instructors say never move hands, but others say "at autocross, anything goes". But they all agree on the point being to keep a slow and steady control over the rotation of the steering wheel, so as to not break traction in transitions. I guess I'll keep playing at it.
      08-11-2008, 09:49 AM   #7
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
FWIW, I shuffle steer..but have been instructed to teach 9X3 crossover steering.

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 10:20 AM   #8
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

9 and 3, unless you get into massive oversteer.

http://www.sumo.tv/watch.php?video=3409088
Appreciate 0