E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > My little paint stuff up.

03-28-2006, 12:33 PM   #1
Broken1
Addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i M-Sport

My little paint stuff up.

Well, the bottom edge of my spoiler was lifting ever so slightly - (most likely due to the idiot at the car wash) - so I went out to the hardware store, and bought some very good strong quick drying glue.

Not thinking clearly, I decided to mask the area directly around my spoiler so I don't spill glue anywhere with MASKING TAPE. Well, as it turns out - a little bit of glue got on the masking tape. The glue sank through the "paperlike" masking tape, and so - the masking tape was now glued down to the car in that spot.

I totally freaked out - ran into the house to get whatever chemical I could to try remove this white spot from right next to my spoiler. It was just making the situation worse...

In a mad attempt (what the hell was I thinking) I took a piece of 400grit sandpaper (left over from my black out grills) and with some QD started sanding away the glue/tape. I sanded very gently and carefully - but completely made the clearcoat a rough/matt look.

Freaking out more, I masked the whole car except for this stretch of paint (right next to the spoiler) and used the "clear laquer" spray paint from my blackout grills to redo the clear coat. I then used toothpaste to smooth out the edges.

It looks 99% - with just two problems. One is some paint that has chipped off my spoiler (which I plan to fix tomorrow with touch up paint). Two is that there are two little spots which seem to not have been spray painted - perhaps there was something on them?

So in the next few days - I fear I will need to become brave again. With some experience now...I will need to resand (gently and with 4000grit WET sandpaper) the area...clean and dry it and reapply clearcoat. I will also need to buy touch up paint - and fix the spoiler (hopefully making it look better rather than worse)

I have yet to see my 1st attempted repair in sunlight - as I did it very late afternoon - but it looked good in the cloudy late afternoon (which is when I can see all the "bad" things) so I am confident it's ok.

Any advice before I make a second attempt at this?
(Ps. If I do not get it right 2nd time...I will take it straight to a body shop - but it's nice DIY'ing...especially if I get it right)
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2006, 12:54 PM   #2
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
OMG You F@#king Broke it!!

Been waiting a while for that! Anyhow, I would take it to a body shop right away, you should have seen the horror on my face as I was reading your post! Good Luck!

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2006, 12:59 PM   #3
Mr. BMW
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 M3  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
2018 Jeep Grand Che ...  [0.00]
You probably want to use something a little finer like 600 or 800, no?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2006, 01:03 PM   #4
Broken1
Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. BMW
You probably want to use something a little finer like 600 or 800, no?
Yes... 400 grit was a little rough for the application...but I was in a moment of frenzy and it's all I had. I'll go find the finest sandpaper I can for trial 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRC
OMG You F@#king Broke it!!

Been waiting a while for that! Anyhow, I would take it to a body shop right away, you should have seen the horror on my face as I was reading your post! Good Luck!

Danny
I was being impulsive. A body shop would need a quote, a booking, and then at least 2 days to fix it. After todays results...I think I did pretty well. I could probably (and hopefully) fix it 99.89% which is fine :-)

It's just a little paint...nothing too serious.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2006, 01:46 AM   #5
Broken1
Addict
Rep

Well, I looked this morning in the light, and my "shit...need to fix the trunklid" repair turned out looking pretty good.

EDIT:

Ok...I have taken photo's and outlined my task. Gotta go buy materials etc and then I will get down to my fix later.

The job: (And hopefull plan)

1. Finly Wetsand down exess glue/masking tape from undernear the edges of the spoiler.
2. Use glue to seal the edges of the spoiler and hold down.
3. Fix scratch on spoiler side
4. Mask whole car
5. Apply clear coat layer (sprayed)
6. Watch paint dry and pray
7. Rub edges of clearcoat with gentle rubbing compound to smoothout
8. Polish
9. Admire.

Here are the before pics: (Well - before the 2nd attempt at fixing)
Attached Images

Last edited by Broken1; 03-29-2006 at 03:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2006, 06:45 AM   #6
rayxi
researcher
Rep
Drives: '15 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken1
Well, I looked this morning in the light, and my "shit...need to fix the trunklid" repair turned out looking pretty good.

EDIT:

Ok...I have taken photo's and outlined my task. Gotta go buy materials etc and then I will get down to my fix later.

The job: (And hopefull plan)

1. Finly Wetsand down exess glue/masking tape from undernear the edges of the spoiler.
2. Use glue to seal the edges of the spoiler and hold down.
3. Fix scratch on spoiler side
4. Mask whole car
5. Apply clear coat layer (sprayed)
6. Watch paint dry and pray
7. Rub edges of clearcoat with gentle rubbing compound to smoothout
8. Polish
9. Admire.

Here are the before pics: (Well - before the 2nd attempt at fixing)
I can't find where the masking tape was glued onto your trunklid, so that's a good thing. Congrats on your save. :rocks:
      03-29-2006, 08:15 AM   #7
jbnimble
Ireland
Rep
Drives: E46 330i, E90 330xi

Quote:
Well, the bottom edge of my spoiler was lifting ever so slightly - (most likely due to the idiot at the car wash)
Which idiot are you talking about? The one who worked there or the one washing his E90 at the car wash??
J/K
BTW...funny avatar. Made me chuckle.

Good luck with the save.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2006, 09:23 AM   #8
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

OMG...I kept getting heart palpitations reading this post HAHAHAHAHA good to know u survived throught it
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2006, 12:59 PM   #9
Broken1
Addict
Rep

Ok...So I tried fixing it again today.

I used 1200grit sandpaper, which I soaked for an hour or so. I then wetsanded the area, filled the scratches (and spots) with touch-up paint and painted it with the spray clearcoat.

It's not done yet, as it started raining... but the paint is dry and it looks good. All I need to do now, is blend in the edges (*I'm using toothpaste - a very mild rubbing compound) and then polish it well - so that it looks 100's.

I'll post the final results one I've had a chance to blend, polish and buff the area!

Here's what I used and my car all masked up:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2006, 01:22 PM   #10
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Ok...So I tried fixing it again today.

I used 1200grit sandpaper, which I soaked for an hour or so. I then wetsanded the area, filled the scratches (and spots) with touch-up paint and painted it with the spray clearcoat.

It's not done yet, as it started raining... but the paint is dry and it looks good. All I need to do now, is blend in the edges (*I'm using toothpaste - a very mild rubbing compound) and then polish it well - so that it looks 100's.

I'll post the final results one I've had a chance to blend, polish and buff the area!

Here's what I used and my car all masked up:
that looks funny....good thing it turn out ok...thats why i never use glue...the double side tape was enough.

btw: is your spoiler off???
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2006, 01:33 PM   #11
ashecnc
In the delivery business :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i Jet Black/Black

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Well, the bottom edge of my spoiler was lifting ever so slightly - (most likely due to the idiot at the car wash) - so I went out to the hardware store, and bought some very good strong quick drying glue.

Not thinking clearly, I decided to mask the area directly around my spoiler so I don't spill glue anywhere with MASKING TAPE. Well, as it turns out - a little bit of glue got on the masking tape. The glue sank through the "paperlike" masking tape, and so - the masking tape was now glued down to the car in that spot.

I totally freaked out - ran into the house to get whatever chemical I could to try remove this white spot from right next to my spoiler. It was just making the situation worse...

In a mad attempt (what the hell was I thinking) I took a piece of 400grit sandpaper (left over from my black out grills) and with some QD started sanding away the glue/tape. I sanded very gently and carefully - but completely made the clearcoat a rough/matt look.

Freaking out more, I masked the whole car except for this stretch of paint (right next to the spoiler) and used the "clear laquer" spray paint from my blackout grills to redo the clear coat. I then used toothpaste to smooth out the edges.

It looks 99% - with just two problems. One is some paint that has chipped off my spoiler (which I plan to fix tomorrow with touch up paint). Two is that there are two little spots which seem to not have been spray painted - perhaps there was something on them?

So in the next few days - I fear I will need to become brave again. With some experience now...I will need to resand (gently and with 4000grit WET sandpaper) the area...clean and dry it and reapply clearcoat. I will also need to buy touch up paint - and fix the spoiler (hopefully making it look better rather than worse)

I have yet to see my 1st attempted repair in sunlight - as I did it very late afternoon - but it looked good in the cloudy late afternoon (which is when I can see all the "bad" things) so I am confident it's ok.

Any advice before I make a second attempt at this?
(Ps. If I do not get it right 2nd time...I will take it straight to a body shop - but it's nice DIY'ing...especially if I get it right)
Wow, sorry to hear that! Are you saying your spoiler was lifting off? What do you mean, lifting off??

Born 10/05 '06 325i Jet Black, Black, Sport Package, Xenon's, Heated Seats & Power, Sat. Prep, Rear Spoiler, Chrome Tips, Blacklines, Chrome Grills, 19" M5 wheels NO MORE run flats, drives like a dream now
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2006, 02:25 PM   #12
Broken1
Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashecnc
Wow, sorry to hear that! Are you saying your spoiler was lifting off? What do you mean, lifting off??
Remember you said your spoiler was lifting on the top edges?
Mine was lifting on the bottom edge. I could press it down, but it would just pop up. Got this excellent glue, and everything would have been just dandy if I didn't use the masking tape.

Anyways, another cry for another day. It's dark outside now, but the repair looks good under torchlight (courtesy of the glovebox)

Tomorrow afternoon I will "finalise" my job...and see if I cracked it. I'm going for 98% perfect. I am realising I am quite good at DIY painting. If I don't pass university, I can always be a car painter hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtran
that looks funny....good thing it turn out ok...thats why i never use glue...the double side tape was enough.

btw: is your spoiler off???
Spoiler is still on, under all the masking! Pulled all the masking off earlier, so the car is looking more normal. You can still see where I painted, and feel it - but some toothpaste, clay, meguiars scratchx and wax should make it match virtually perfectly (hopefully)

I can't see it the dark, but I hope the finish was smooth...otherwise I got some sh1t.

You'll all have to wait till tomorrow to find out tho...as do I!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2006, 02:35 PM   #13
ashecnc
In the delivery business :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i Jet Black/Black

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Remember you said your spoiler was lifting on the top edges?
Mine was lifting on the bottom edge. I could press it down, but it would just pop up. Got this excellent glue, and everything would have been just dandy if I didn't use the masking tape.
Oh, man, I am sure you'll have it almost 100% tomorrow, keep us posted!

Born 10/05 '06 325i Jet Black, Black, Sport Package, Xenon's, Heated Seats & Power, Sat. Prep, Rear Spoiler, Chrome Tips, Blacklines, Chrome Grills, 19" M5 wheels NO MORE run flats, drives like a dream now
Appreciate 0