E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Went Autocrossing and have questions

08-03-2008, 07:57 PM   #1
BeAmW335i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Smile Went Autocrossing and have questions

I went Autocrossing with the local Corvette club in my stock 335i coupe. My tires were set to 38psi cold all around. After the first few laps (yes, we had 10 laps), I noticed that my car started sliding around coming out of the turns, and I was also fighting the car during the turns (front tires look worst than the rears). After all the laps were over, one member suggested that I lower the tire pressure after the first few laps, because it was probably in the lower 40s. I didn't actually have a guage with me to check it.

I'm going back in 2 weeks, and would like to find out what was causing this problem. Maybe I was going too fast into the turn...I dunno.

Thank you.
      08-03-2008, 08:04 PM   #2
longodj
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2007 335xi  [0.00]
1974 VW Beetle  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeAmW335i View Post
I went Autocrossing with the local Corvette club in my stock 335i coupe. My tires were set to 38psi cold all around. After the first few laps (yes, we had 10 laps), I noticed that my car started sliding around coming out of the turns, and I was also fighting the car during the turns (front tires look worst than the rears). After all the laps were over, one member suggested that I lower the tire pressure after the first few laps, because it was probably in the lower 40s. I didn't actually have a guage with me to check it.

I'm going back in 2 weeks, and would like to find out what was causing this problem. Maybe I was going too fast into the turn...I dunno.

Thank you.
Keep the fronts ~2-3psi higher than rear. Get a gauge for sure, $7 at Pepboys :-P
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2008, 10:49 PM   #3
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Yes, I agree the tire pressure could be too high. I'd start off with 32psi cold. Most people increase the tire pressure to try and prevent sidewall roll over, and if you have run flat tires, r compound tires, or a street tire with mega stiff sidewall (RE01R, RT615, etc) you don't need high air pressures. (Also, in all tires, high pressure decreases available grip because the contact patch is decreased.)

Also, you could be trying to go too fast in the slow sections. You should ask an experienced person to ride with you and give you pointers.

Best of luck!
Appreciate 0