BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum X7 Driving Position

04-18-2019, 09:43 PM   #1
swenzi
Private
Rep
Drives: 22 Escalad / 17 Panamera Turbo

X7 Driving Position

Today I test drove a 50i X7, I was really disappointed by the low driving position of the driver seat even after I have raised it to the highest level. I didn't have a commanding view of the road, in fact the whole test drive it felt like I was driving a compact crossover. Granted my current ride is a full size Range Rover, but still I had hoped the driving position for X7 would be higher for a large full size SUV.

Anyone else had the same observation?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 10:32 PM   #2
groove1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X740i

Quote:
Originally Posted by swenzi View Post
Today I test drove a 50i X7, I was really disappointed by the low driving position of the driver seat even after I have raised it to the highest level. I didn't have a commanding view of the road, in fact the whole test drive it felt like I was driving a compact crossover. Granted my current ride is a full size Range Rover, but still I had hoped the driving position for X7 would be higher for a large full size SUV.

We are coming from a 2015 Escalade and the X7 does sit slightly lower but I think the perception of driving a smaller vehicle has a lot to do with the superior driving dynamics of a BMW compared to a truck based SUV.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 06:17 AM   #3
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

I'm 5'10" and my wife 5'5" and we have no issue with driving position. In fact, we are both very impressed with the driving position in the X7.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 06:32 AM   #4
kdesign7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

I used to have a Jeep Grande Cherokee and it is pretty similar to the X7. The jeep rides pretty high and I actually feel like the 7 rides a little higher. Definitely doesn't feel like a crossover. I have a Tesla model x and that definitely rides like a crossover. You can look at ground clearance between you range rover and the x7. I would think that would make a difference?

It would be nice to be able to drive at higher suspension levels at higher speeds, but I don't know if that is a user setting either. Obviously MpG goes down.

Also, I drove the range rover and it drives like a truck. It's not as smooth around turns, it barrels a bit. The X7 drives more like a car (which is awesome imo). That could be the difference as well?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 07:03 AM   #5
Metal man
Private
Rep
Drives: A few different ones

Range rover has the best seating/ feel of command of road. Not comparable in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 07:12 AM   #6
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

Recently I thought I might want to buy a loaded Range Rover but after a few test drives I honestly wasn't impressed with the drive or driving position. I found the drivers area to be a little tight and somewhat underwhelming for the cost. It does have that prestigious aspect but in the end I felt it was overpriced. Their new new Velar is interesting but way to small for us. We didn't care for the look of the Sport. I left the dealership thinking they were more hype than substance. Just my opinion and I wouldn't look down on anyone who buys a RR. For me there are much better options available, the X7 for sure and the new GLS looks very promising.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 07:50 AM   #7
JAKE_7
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X7

No issues for me at all with the seating position of my X7. In fact I love it. I test drove the full size range rover and was not impressed with the drive. It was also much more expensive. In terms of reliability, the probability of frequent repairs was way higher than I would like.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 08:11 AM   #8
masmole
Captain
Rep
Drives: blue, gray, brown cars

People generally like Range Rovers because of the raised propped-up-on-a-pedestal “command seating” position. Gives one a feeling of being the king of the road, able to see over more things while driving. I totally get that.

But alot of people also fail to realize that such a commanding seating position usually results in a taller vehicle with a higher center of gravity, and thus a higher chance of rollover when subjected to high lateral forces during events like an emergency accident avoidance maneuver at speed. It has its comprimises, and you can’t defy the laws of physics.

I personally like the X7’s driving position, same as I like our Q7’s lower driving position compared to the Range Rover. If anything I feel more confident that being lower and having a vehicle with a lower CoG affords superior handling and less chance of rollover. Personal preference, because for the most part all these SUVs handle well enough. To me, the X7’s seating position is plenty high enough without compromising handling prowess and propensity for rollover too much.
      04-19-2019, 08:20 AM   #9
swenzi
Private
Rep

Everyone is making great points. I haven't driven a BMW in years, and last one I had was a M-roadster, so I think the different driving dynamics probably did have something to do with it.

One thing I do have to disagree a bit is about the value of the Range Rover. I used to think RR is a bit over priced as well because you are paying a bit for the "prestige", but I got my fully loaded full size V8 rig (not the autobiography trim) for about $115k. It has the 510hp super charged engine. If you load up on the x50i it could easily reach that price as well. The M50i will likely be more expensive. I tried to price out the new GLS 580 (480hp) last night and it came to almost $125k - Yikes!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 08:59 AM   #10
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

A 2019 5.0 Liter Range Rover with the "Longer Wheelbase" (which would match up to the X7 and GLS in length even though it doesn't include 3rd row seating) starts at $109,950 for the 518 HP Supercharged engine and the 557 HP Supercharged model starts at $209,500. More expensive than X7 or GLS. I would expect the AMG GLS to start at $125,000 but don't know what the X7M will cost since I'm new to BMW.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 09:13 AM   #11
masmole
Captain
Rep
Drives: blue, gray, brown cars

Quote:
I tried to price out the new GLS 580 (480hp) last night and it came to almost $125k - Yikes!
Has pricing and ordering guide been released for the GLS 580 already?

I asked my dealer this morning and they said not yet, and the USA configurator still has the previous gen GLS only.

I know this is a BMW forum, but can you please share the base + options pricing info you have that had you at $125k for the new GLS 580? I too am weighing my options between M50i vs GLS 580.
      04-19-2019, 09:45 AM   #12
swenzi
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by masmole View Post

I asked my dealer this morning and they said not yet, and the USA configurator still has the previous gen GLS only.

I know this is a BMW forum, but can you please share the base + options pricing info you have that had you at $125k for the new GLS 580? I too am weighing my options between M50i vs GLS 580.
PM sent.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 10:21 AM   #13
Metal man
Private
Rep
Drives: A few different ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKE_X7 View Post
No issues for me at all with the seating position of my X7. In fact I love it. I test drove the full size range rover and was not impressed with the drive. It was also much more expensive. In terms of reliability, the probability of frequent repairs was way higher than I would like.
Fake News. Id bet the farm the jaguar 5.0 supercharged stuffed into the range rover will outlast any current bmw engine in production

To add most likely no one cross shopping these vehicles. 2 row vs 3 row. Prestige/ trophy wife/ mountain goat vs soccer mom/ grocery getter
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 10:40 AM   #14
gmag
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by masmole View Post

PM sent.
Do u mind sending it 2 me 2. I'm also weighing my options between the M50i & GLS 580.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 04:56 PM   #15
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:

Interesting. No, I found the seating height to be great in the X7.

That being said, I do prefer to sit low in vehicles. I see why people like sitting high, but for me, I get a psychological feeling, sitting a lower level, like I'm lowering the center of gravity of the car (in reality, my own seating height has a minor effect on this), and making turning tighter with less leaning over.
Appreciate 0