BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis Tire Recommendation?

04-12-2019, 05:24 PM   #1
Dobie Dog
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F97 X3M Comp

Tire Recommendation?

I just ordered a set of HRE FF01 wheels and I am looking for your thoughts on tire brands and tire sizes. The fronts are 20x9 ET25 and the backs are 20x10.5 ET35. I live in Texas and the winters are mild compared to many of you but our temperatures can swing dramatically in a short period of time so running a separate set of summer and winter tires sounds like more hassle than I am willing to go through, at least for my first set of upgraded tires. Any recommendations on a quality set of all season 20 run flats, brand and size, would be appreciated.
      04-15-2019, 08:37 AM   #2
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

What part of Texas? In San Antonio, we don't have to worry about it, and I run summer tires year round. In DFW or Amarillo, you would definitely need a tire OK in Winter conditions. Do you have a spare, or are you running runflats? Michelin makes an all season PS3+, which I run on my Mercedes, if you don't need runflats. On my M550, I will probably go with Michelin runflats, or perhaps the PS4S, if I decide to go with go flats, but I live in San Antonio, not the North part of the state. I always use standard OEM tire sizes. My $.02.
Appreciate 1
Dobie Dog737.50
      04-15-2019, 05:32 PM   #3
Dobie Dog
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
What part of Texas? In San Antonio, we don't have to worry about it, and I run summer tires year round. In DFW or Amarillo, you would definitely need a tire OK in Winter conditions. Do you have a spare, or are you running runflats? Michelin makes an all season PS3+, which I run on my Mercedes, if you don't need runflats. On my M550, I will probably go with Michelin runflats, or perhaps the PS4S, if I decide to go with go flats, but I live in San Antonio, not the North part of the state. I always use standard OEM tire sizes. My $.02.
I am in D/FW so a higher performance all season seems to make the most sense for me since I don't want to run separate summer and winter sets, at least for now. No spare, I am currently no run flats now. I have had a good experience with Michelin in the past so I am leaning that way. A friend of mine runs P Zero's and swears by them but I am skeptical due to hit and miss reviews. Thanks for the reply.
      04-15-2019, 10:11 PM   #4
SoCal540
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 540i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobie Dog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
I am in D/FW so a higher performance all season seems to make the most sense for me since I don't want to run separate summer and winter sets, at least for now. No spare, I am currently no run flats now. I have had a good experience with Michelin in the past so I am leaning that way. A friend of mine runs P Zero's and swears by them but I am skeptical due to hit and miss reviews. Thanks for the reply.
Currently, I have 19" Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus tires on my 540 xdrive... I've been very happy with them, great tires and absolutely no complaints. The tires are quiet, handle very well and are wearing well. I had a few sets of both Continental DWS 06 and the original DWS on a 535 xdrive before that. Also, good tires but softer sidewalls and possibly better in the snow but all around I prefer the Pirelli's especially in dry weather as they appear to be more precise. I can't speak to the Michelin's which I know are very good tires but also more expensive. I'm definitely not a tire expert but I can say that I'd be shocked if you didn't like the P Zero's. I can't speak to tire size for your 20" wheels though.
Appreciate 1
Dobie Dog737.50
      04-16-2019, 05:27 AM   #5
Dobie Dog
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal540 View Post
Currently, I have 19" Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus tires on my 540 xdrive... I've been very happy with them, great tires and absolutely no complaints. The tires are quiet, handle very well and are wearing well. I had a few sets of both Continental DWS 06 and the original DWS on a 535 xdrive before that. Also, good tires but softer sidewalls and possibly better in the snow but all around I prefer the Pirelli's especially in dry weather as they appear to be more precise. I can't speak to the Michelin's which I know are very good tires but also more expensive. I'm definitely not a tire expert but I can say that I'd be shocked if you didn't like the P Zero's. I can't speak to tire size for your 20" wheels though.
Thanks for the reply. It's always good to hear thoughts from someone who actually owns the brand.
      05-03-2019, 10:53 AM   #6
Warp Ten
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540xi

I have become a big fan of Michelin Pilot Sport run flats. I am a big proponent of run flats as they have save me and my wife a couple of times. Have had them on my 2010 BMW 535xi and have them on my 2016 Corvette Z06. When the Goodyears wear out on the 540xi I will get the A/S 3 all season version of them and will also get the same for my Z06, probably later this year. I am also a big fan of Costco, as they sell and install the Michelins at a very reasonable price with a great warranty and service. I recommend you check them out.--Bob
clee1982796.00
      05-03-2019, 04:18 PM   #7
Dobie Dog
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp Ten View Post
I have become a big fan of Michelin Pilot Sport run flats. I am a big proponent of run flats as they have save me and my wife a couple of times. Have had them on my 2010 BMW 535xi and have them on my 2016 Corvette Z06. When the Goodyears wear out on the 540xi I will get the A/S 3 all season version of them and will also get the same for my Z06, probably later this year. I am also a big fan of Costco, as they sell and install the Michelins at a very reasonable price with a great warranty and service. I recommend you check them out.--Bob
Thanks for the reply. I ended up going with the A/S 3's in 245/35/20 and 275/30/20.