F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Power supply recommendation for programming
Extreme Powerhouse

04-03-2019, 09:46 PM   #1
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

Power supply recommendation for programming

Hi folks,

Any recommendations on brand/model for a power supply to make sure my battery voltage doesn't drop when programming in ISTA?

There are a lot of different ones out there and I'd like to know if there is a general consensus around here on the best (i.e. safe and reliable) one to buy for the 120V circuit in my garage. Bang for the buck is also something I'd like to consider since I don't want to spend a fortune if I don't need to.

Lastly, is using a power supply bad for the battery in any way? I was under the impression that charging with a high current is bad for car batteries, so how is it that discharging the battery quickly via programming and then rapidly charging with a high Ampere power supply is okay for it?

Thank you!
      04-03-2019, 10:18 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I don't know about ISTA, but with E-Sys it's recommended to have the engine running. I've seen some IMO pretty wacky recommendations about how large a charger is necessary to code with the engine off, though not knowing for sure how much current the iDrive consumes I can't say what you'd need with any certainty. But if it actually drew the 90 amps I've seen some say it needs the power cables to the iDrive would be as large as those to the starter motor.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 10:50 PM   #3
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

Thanks for the input. I believe the 70A+ (or is it 90A+?) power supply current "requirement" for programming is when using the ICOM module and ISTA/P for programming various control units/ECU, software updates, etc. I don't believe hooking up an ENET cable (ethernet-to-OBDII) for diagnostics via ISTA/D or doing basic coding is going to use up a lot of battery power to the point where there is a need for a power supply. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.
      04-04-2019, 02:47 AM   #4
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
I don't know about ISTA, but with E-Sys it's recommended to have the engine running.
For coding yes.
For programming/flashing no good idea because the Engine shuts off while the cars goes in transport mode.
Appreciate 0