BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Mporium BMW

07-25-2008, 01:48 PM   #1
kyoshozx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Anyone just upgrade subs with sws-8? without upgrading amp?

I have the individual audio, and I was wondering if anyone tried upgrading the subs underneath the seat to sws-8 without upgrading the amp.

I've read on e90post that a few have tried it and got slightly better bass response, and thats all i'm looking for, but i'm not sure if our amp is the same as the logic 7. I rather not upgrade the amp because I dont want to have warranty issues with the dealership later on if anything happen with the onboard electronics.

I'm not looking for huge bass response, just slightly better than stock.
      07-27-2008, 07:13 AM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoshozx View Post
I have the individual audio, and I was wondering if anyone tried upgrading the subs underneath the seat to sws-8 without upgrading the amp.

I've read on e90post that a few have tried it and got slightly better bass response, and thats all i'm looking for, but i'm not sure if our amp is the same as the logic 7. I rather not upgrade the amp because I dont want to have warranty issues with the dealership later on if anything happen with the onboard electronics.

I'm not looking for huge bass response, just slightly better than stock.
The Individual Audio amp is not the same as the Logic7 (825W peak vs 380W peak). I have not found any documentation online that list the specific details of this amp, especially the impedance of the subs (2 ohms or 4 ohms) and their power rating, but definitely all speakers are as well different just because of the more than doubling of the power output over the Logic7 OEM amp and three extra speakers in total (13 vs. 16).

With all that said, you could replace the OEM subs with SWS-8 and probably it will sound a little better depending of the quality of the OEM subs and the power input, however you should check either by yourself (remove one OEM sub and simply look at it) or with the dealer about the specs of the OEM subs, as the SWS-8 comes now in 2 and 4 ohms versions. You want to keep the impedance the same to avoid overheating the OEM amp (if you lower the impedance) or further reducing the bass output (if you increase the impedance).

FYI: you cannot replace the OEM amp in the Individual Audio even if you want it to, so don't worry about any warranty issues. You could add another amp, though.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2008, 02:33 PM   #3
kyoshozx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The Individual Audio amp is not the same as the Logic7 (825W peak vs 380W peak). I have not found any documentation online that list the specific details of this amp, especially the impedance of the subs (2 ohms or 4 ohms) and their power rating, but definitely all speakers are as well different just because of the more than doubling of the power output over the Logic7 OEM amp and three extra speakers in total (13 vs. 16).

With all that said, you could replace the OEM subs with SWS-8 and probably it will sound a little better depending of the quality of the OEM subs and the power input, however you should check either by yourself (remove one OEM sub and simply look at it) or with the dealer about the specs of the OEM subs, as the SWS-8 comes now in 2 and 4 ohms versions. You want to keep the impedance the same to avoid overheating the OEM amp (if you lower the impedance) or further reducing the bass output (if you increase the impedance).

FYI: you cannot replace the OEM amp in the Individual Audio even if you want it to, so don't worry about any warranty issues. You could add another amp, though.

Thanks for the help, I'll be sure to find out what ohms the sub is before I purchase the sws-8 to make sure i get the right version.
      08-26-2008, 12:48 PM   #4
d_dot
4 * General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F12 M6,Audi R8 Lambo Gallardo

did u ever order the subwoofer and did u ever find the impedance ohms?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 05:07 PM   #5
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

donīt do it. You won't get a lot of improvement and the chances of breaking the system is high, specially of you don't know the real specs of the amps.
Appreciate 0