F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Need help locating Air Bag Control module for reset.
GetBMWParts

02-27-2019, 05:47 PM   #1
Choto
Rep
Drives: BMW 430i

Need help locating Air Bag Control module for reset.

Hello guys, I need someone to point me in the right direction. This is my first BMW. I bought it salvaged but in good condition. It's a 2018 430i. I need the location of the SRS/Airbag module. I already replaced the belt tensioners. Air bags look like they've been replaced and I need to reset the module to turn off the SRS light. Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 08:47 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

You need the use an OBD diagnostic tool with reset capability, like a Foxwell NT510, or some other external means to reset the air bag. There's no way to do it with on board reset tools.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 09:51 PM   #3
Choto
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
You need the use an OBD diagnostic tool with reset capability, like a Foxwell NT510, or some other external means to reset the air bag. There's no way to do it with on board reset tools.
Thank you. Yes, I was planning on sending it out to the 'SeatbeltRestore' peeps that did my seatbelt tensioners. They said to take it out and take a pic, then they can let me know if they are able to do the reset on it. I just don't know the exact location in the vehicle and wanted to be sure before I started taking panels off. I don't know where on my vehicle it is located.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 03:18 AM   #4
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choto View Post
I don't know where on my vehicle it is located.
ACSM location

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/de/f...cou/1VnbrlwlYF
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 03:27 AM   #5
TBGaming
Italy
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

You don’t need to pull out any module, you should be able to reset the airbag light using ISTA+ or tool32. An ENET cable is needed.
Appreciate 1
Billfitz8243.00
      02-28-2019, 07:31 AM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choto View Post
I was planning on sending it out to the 'SeatbeltRestore' peeps that did my seatbelt tensioners. They said to take it out and take a pic, then they can let me know if they are able to do the reset on it. I just don't know the exact location in the vehicle and wanted to be sure before I started taking panels off.
If they said that they don't know what they're doing. A reset is done via the OBD port as I said in my first reply. There are a few threads about this, since if you remove a seat without first disconnecting the car battery a fault code will be generated and a reset via OBD is required.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 02:45 PM   #7
Choto
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
If they said that they don't know what they're doing. A reset is done via the OBD port as I said in my first reply. There are a few threads about this, since if you remove a seat without first disconnecting the car battery a fault code will be generated and a reset via OBD is required.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBGaming View Post
You don’t need to pull out any module, you should be able to reset the airbag light using ISTA+ or tool32. An ENET cable is needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atzebmw View Post
Thanks so much guys! I appreciate the knowledge. Let me get a hold of ISTA+ to familiarize myself with it. The reason I thought it required a reset was because it has been in a wreck. I understand the part about disconnecting something without the battery being disconnected and it setting a soft code.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 06:53 PM   #8
Choto
Rep

UPDATE---
I had to pull panels off here and there but I found the issues. Whoever 'worked' on this care before me, simply cut and resealed the Knee Airbag, therefore the 'open' hard code for that. They did the same thing with the pillar airbag. Replaced those 2 and was able to clear those codes. The final code was an open in the circuit for the passenger crash impact sensor. When they wrecked it must have pinned the wiring and they left the wiring hanging. Eventually, the rubbing got the best of the wire and it caused an intermittent short to ground. I still got the code for the BST cable but for now I just went ahead and used a resistor in the connector to get rid of that code. I am missing the front camera and parking sensors and my side cameras are working intermittently now. Anyone knows how to code the warning chime off? Or please drop a link to where I can go and learn how to code that off...I don't have any plans to replace that wiring and camera at this moment. I get that chime everytime I drop below 5mph and it's really annoying. The good thing is that all major lights are off now and I can go to CHP to get my certificate from CHP to register my car. Thanks in advance guys!
Appreciate 0