F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > New steering rack - heavy steering - recode?
proTUNING Freaks

02-17-2019, 05:13 AM   #1
jamojdm
Rep
Drives: 340i

New steering rack - heavy steering - recode?

Hi all, I’m hoping someone might be able to help.

We have an F30 which has had its steering rack replaced but since then the comfort steering is the same heaviness as the sport mode. Changing between the modes (eco, comfort, sport) has no affect on the steering anymore.

Reading a few threads on people trying to make the comfort steering heavier but none on how to make it lighter. I’m hoping it’s just coded wrong but have been back to try and get it sorted a couple of times but so far no luck.

I’ve coded a few other features before so I was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction to fix it myself.

Thanks in advance!

Jamo
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 07:38 AM   #2
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Any idea what part numbers were replaced?

What issued did you experience prior to repair?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 08:04 AM   #3
jamojdm
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
Any idea what part numbers were replaced?

What issued did you experience prior to repair?
There was damage to the front left wheel from a pothole and the insurance company replaced the wheel, tie rods, bearing and as a precaution the steering rack.

I have a list of what was replaced but no part numbers. I can try next week to see if they have a record of them. Could they have fitted the wrong rack?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 08:43 AM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

It's not likely they fit the wrong rack, but the rack has to be programmed/encoded to the car or it won't work as it should.
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...-unit/1LJ6CRK5
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 11:06 AM   #5
jamojdm
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
It's not likely they fit the wrong rack, but the rack has to be programmed/encoded to the car or it won't work as it should.
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...-unit/1LJ6CRK5
Thanks, the new rack has been coded and steering works fine with no errors. The only problem is the feel of comfort mode being heavier and the same as sport.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 11:22 AM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Check your iDrive settings for what sport versus comfort mode does.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 01:18 PM   #7
jamojdm
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Check your iDrive settings for what sport versus comfort mode does.
I hadn’t thought of that so have been out and checked it.

I can’t make any changes to comfort mode but I can change drivetrain&chassis options in sport mode. Unfortunately they don’t change anything to the steering.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 01:41 PM   #8
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Ask the dealer, and hope he has a clue. If it's not in iDrive he'd probably have to fix in with ISTA anyway.
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2019, 01:44 PM   #9
zeikei
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamojdm View Post
We have an F30 which has had its steering rack replaced but since then the comfort steering is the same heaviness as the sport mode. Changing between the modes (eco, comfort, sport) has no affect on the steering anymore.
Hi, I had steering rack replaced from a 2012 F30 to a brand new one around last August and I had the same end result. I think it felt better / heavier in comfort than before but same as yours, no change in sport mode. It was replaced at a BMW specialized indy and all the coding etc seemed ok. He suspected something about the software versions etc but I traded the car before we had a chance to take a closer look.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 05:39 PM   #10
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
I think it's possible that the new rack is better designed and fresh... therefore feels tighter than your old sloppy steering gear?

I wish I had a super tight, brand new steering gear. Consider yourself lucky!

Unless it's honestly tight to the point of difficulty/annoyance.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 04:23 PM   #11
Svensken
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: g01 x3 m40d lci

This sounds like a software download issue. Perhaps youve had software for another car (F32 instead of F30 etc...) downloaded to your steering gear, or for the wrong model line (sports line and not m-sport or whatever), or a sw for non-variable sports steering even tho you perhaps have the variable sports steering.

The only thing BMW can do in this case is re-flash the steering software which contains the already set parameters for the active return, damping ang all other stuff thats included in the steering gear software.

Not BMW, and not the end user, is able to go into the steering gear and fine-tune the variables. They are set by the steering gear manufacturer and is then locked and once BMW (or whatever car manufacturer) are happy with the results, the final sw is delivered to the car factory to be downloaded in the new cars....

I work for Bosch Automotive Steering GmbH in Germany, but im located in Sweden supporting the steering development for Volvo Car Corporation in their SPA-vehicles including Polestar 1.

I do this for a living.
Appreciate 2
jamojdm15.50
Wires1645.50
      03-31-2019, 03:42 PM   #12
jamojdm
Rep

Thanks for the info guys. The car is going in for a service soon so i'll mention to them about the steering and see if they can re-flash it. Otherwise I'm happy enough to live with it.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 05:07 AM   #13
iamnofear
Enlisted Member
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Garage List
2015 BMW 320i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamojdm View Post
Thanks for the info guys. The car is going in for a service soon so i'll mention to them about the steering and see if they can re-flash it. Otherwise I'm happy enough to live with it.
Did your steering fix now? Could you share what happened because I had the exact same issue. I had dealer swap the steering rack with other F30, run all software but couldnot resolved, all driving modes are the same no differences. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 11:19 AM   #14
jacie6056
Private
Rep
Drives: 335

Does anyone have the same issue that finds out the reason not able to switch the steering comfort/ sport mode after replacing the steering rack?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 02:35 AM   #15
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Bmw M340i M-Sport w/ VDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacie6056 View Post
Does anyone have the same issue that finds out the reason not able to switch the steering comfort/ sport mode after replacing the steering rack?
If no parts are damaged or bent in the suspension/chassis, I would:
1. Make sure the rack/eps is coded to the vehicle properly.
2. Ensure that the whole vehicle's software is updated (which also takes care of #1).

BMW has a slew of steering racks that covered the F3x production run. New part #'s were issued multiple times as the racks got superceded by revised racks as time went on. We don't know exactly what changed with each new updated rack. Some may be heavier than others. They can vary in feel. The difference in between the modes may be more or less on some racks too. If you replaced your rack with a different part # than you originally had, there can be differences or changes to the original feel/operation.

If you are sure the steering isn't stiffening (at all) between modes, I think updating the vehicles complete software is probably the answer. All of those modules should be at the appropriate i-level (software version/update) for proper operation.

Has your vehicle been updated since the rack was installed?
Appreciate 0