E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Registration issue (Need help ASAP)

07-22-2008, 09:28 PM   #1
Webz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Question Registration issue (Need help ASAP)

Need help on a registration issue:

I was working on finalizing the paperwork for a 335i coupe when the CA and I looked into where to register the vehicle. Here is the issue:

I currently live and work in DC. However I plan to store the vehicle in NC during the winter months at another residence (more than half the year) where I also have a separate vehicle registered.

I spoke with the insurance agency about both areas (DC & NC) and was told that I had to have coverage wherever the car would be principally garaged (I.e. more than 6 months) hence NC.

I gave him proof of a utility account in my name in NC and he submitted this to the title office. Their response was that I cannot register the car in NC because it's not my primary residence. I seem to be caught in the middle of 2 systems.

First question, is this a BMWNA policy that I can't register the car outside of my primary residence or is it a dealer policy?

Next questions, any advice on getting the insurance company to cover a car with out-of-state tags OR persuading the title office to register the car in NC?

Any advice is welcome. (And I'm under somewhat of a time crunch.)

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 10:01 PM   #2
MikeMidd
Thrillin' and billin'
Rep
Drives: Three-Three-Five

Which state is your drivers license in? Shouldn't it just be registered in that state, since you have to have a DL in a state to register a car there?
      07-22-2008, 10:18 PM   #3
Webz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

NC license also. (Shouldn't have left that out)

Anybody ever heard of or sign an "out of state resident affidavit"?
Appreciate 0