E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Aux Jack Stopped Working

12-28-2018, 09:48 PM   #1
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

Aux Jack Stopped Working

2011 E90 with Professional head unit. Aux jack worked yesterday, doesn't today. I have been using it to play my phones audio for the last 4 years with no issues. USB port next to it works, cigarette lighter port next to it works, bluetooth still works.

I have tried a brand new cable and a different phone, neither worked. The phones do not recognize that something is plugged into the phones aux jack. If I wiggle the aux connector in the phone I can hear crackling through the cars speakers.

I popped the aux/USB ports out and the connection is clean. Pulled the radio and no issue with wiring or any obvious issue.

I am at a dead end now on what to try next.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 09:33 AM   #2
tylerboland01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by weehe126 View Post
2011 E90 with Professional head unit. Aux jack worked yesterday, doesn't today. I have been using it to play my phones audio for the last 4 years with no issues. USB port next to it works, cigarette lighter port next to it works, bluetooth still works.

I have tried a brand new cable and a different phone, neither worked. The phones do not recognize that something is plugged into the phones aux jack. If I wiggle the aux connector in the phone I can hear crackling through the cars speakers.

I popped the aux/USB ports out and the connection is clean. Pulled the radio and no issue with wiring or any obvious issue.

I am at a dead end now on what to try next.
Does your FM radio work correctly, any noise or distortion? If the head unit is still outputing from the antenna, the problem is either in the aux port cable or a compenent/trace fried in the headunit.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 10:55 AM   #3
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

aux comes from the mulf 2 hi or combox on a lot of e9x's.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 05:52 PM   #4
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerboland01 View Post
Does your FM radio work correctly, any noise or distortion? If the head unit is still outputing from the antenna, the problem is either in the aux port cable or a compenent/trace fried in the headunit.
Head unit is fine. I went into the trunk and disconnected/reconnected the Mulf 2 and now it works again. Have to have the aux jack in a special orientation in the phone to get full sound, but it works.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 06:20 PM   #5
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by weehe126 View Post

If I understand your post correctly, you have tested different input jacks in the vehicle Aux socket, but have NOT wired "around" the socket to test for defect in the socket itself.

Plugging/UNplugging 3.5mm jack into female socket for 4 years has probably worn or broken something in the socket, hence the static when manipulating the jack in the socket. The Aux & USB connectors are fragile, and the best approach for regular use is to plug an extension cable into each and leave it connected, transferring regular connect/disconnect wear to the extension jack.

Without knowing exactly what radio option you have, I can't be sure the following is the correct wiring diagram, but one would reasonably expect it to be. Three wires at Aux socket: Left Channel signal (White), Right Channel Signal (Gray), & Shielded common ground, all going to Pins 4, 3, & 2 respectively of Connector X18807 as shown in this TIS Schematic:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...i-lim/BtvlHOM5

If you have NOT done so, I would suggest removing the Aux socket, using patch cables to tap input into the three wires of Connector X18807, disconnected from the socket (bypassing any mechanical part of the socket) and seeing if you get output from the Audio with Aux selected as the input. You can just test each channel separately, two wires at a time.

George
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 12:20 AM   #6
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
If I understand your post correctly, you have tested different input jacks in the vehicle Aux socket, but have NOT wired "around" the socket to test for defect in the socket itself.

Plugging/UNplugging 3.5mm jack into female socket for 4 years has probably worn or broken something in the socket, hence the static when manipulating the jack in the socket. The Aux & USB connectors are fragile, and the best approach for regular use is to plug an extension cable into each and leave it connected, transferring regular connect/disconnect wear to the extension jack.

Without knowing exactly what radio option you have, I can't be sure the following is the correct wiring diagram, but one would reasonably expect it to be. Three wires at Aux socket: Left Channel signal (White), Right Channel Signal (Gray), & Shielded common ground, all going to Pins 4, 3, & 2 respectively of Connector X18807 as shown in this TIS Schematic:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...i-lim/BtvlHOM5

If you have NOT done so, I would suggest removing the Aux socket, using patch cables to tap input into the three wires of Connector X18807, disconnected from the socket (bypassing any mechanical part of the socket) and seeing if you get output from the Audio with Aux selected as the input. You can just test each channel separately, two wires at a time.

George
The Aux cable has been plugged into the port in the armrest for 4 years and hasn't been touched. The issue is the connection to the Mulf 2 as disconnecting/reconnecting fixed it.
Appreciate 0