E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Rear window trim replacement

12-26-2018, 11:28 AM   #1
aprasai
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Rear window trim replacement

Hi All,

Finally managed to replace my rear window trims (all around) on my '11 335. However, especially around the bottom left and right corners of the window, there's not enough space to push the trim fully in place. The other parts of the trim slid nicely in place. The seal used to hold the window in place seems to be blocking the corners from engaging fully. Not sure how these were done in the factory. And as a result, the left and right side of the bottom trim keeps coming off. The side trims are held in place so doesn't bother me too much. Anyone have this issue or know how to address it?

Seems like I need to buy another set of these trims and try again once I figure out how this can be done properly.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 11:33 AM   #2
bsmoov
Captain
Rep
Drives: e91 6 speed touring

Soapy water in a spray bottle would be your best friend. It looks like you're installing it dry from what i see and it can be really tough because its rubber and glass and it's gonna have resistance and friction trying to push it in.

Also use a flat head screwdriver with taped ends or a set of trim removal plastic tools to wedge it in there.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 11:58 AM   #3
aprasai
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmoov View Post
Soapy water in a spray bottle would be your best friend. It looks like you're installing it dry from what i see and it can be really tough because its rubber and glass and it's gonna have resistance and friction trying to push it in.

Also use a flat head screwdriver with taped ends or a set of trim removal plastic tools to wedge it in there.
I got a can of silicone spray that I can give try. Also ordered a set of trim tools from Amazon. I was doing this by hand mostly. However, even with this all, when I actually look right below the edge of the window at the corners, I don't really see a room for the trim to get wedged. The seal that holds the window to the frame seems to be bulging out there, not leaving a lot of room. I imagine the trim will have to get bent out of shape a bit to even get wedged in there. But will try what you say out as well, once I get the tools.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 04:18 PM   #4
bsmoov
Captain
Rep
Drives: e91 6 speed touring

That sounds like the glass has been replaced and the installer caked a bunch of sealant to attach it. It looks like an OEM window though...not unless they replaced it with an OEM window. If all else fails you can make some space with an x-acto knife.

Try my method, it works. Just be careful not to be too aggressive with your tools, as even though they are plastic trim pry tools, it still can leave indentations/marks on your new rubber.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 06:11 PM   #5
aprasai
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmoov View Post
That sounds like the glass has been replaced and the installer caked a bunch of sealant to attach it. It looks like an OEM window though...not unless they replaced it with an OEM window. If all else fails you can make some space with an x-acto knife.

Try my method, it works. Just be careful not to be too aggressive with your tools, as even though they are plastic trim pry tools, it still can leave indentations/marks on your new rubber.
Couldn’t get it to wedge even with lubricant and trim tool. Not seeing how to wedge effectively. Maybe I need to use additional adhesive?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 01:43 AM   #6
aprasai
Rep

Alright, I think I figured out how the rear bottom trim works. It has to be slid in place versus pushed in place. There is a bead of rubber seal around the bottom corners that prevents the trim from being pushed through. Instead, have to slide it in place.

Unfortunately the bottom seal has to be installed before the top and side trims so it can be slid past the corners so both sides can be done. Which means I have to rip off the new top/side trims and get new ones again.

Surprised none of the install videos covered this. Although I did see in the comments section that people were using glue/silicone to keep it attached - which shouldn’t be required if sliding in place.
Appreciate 2