E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > power steering whine

12-24-2018, 07:05 AM   #1
flacon01
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 325i Facelift

power steering whine

hi guys,

so I've had my car for about 6 months now, e92 325i m sport lci. I've noticed recently a whine when turning the steering, and it doesn't occur for the first quarter turn of the wheel. Now me being a complete amateur (and my last car being a 1.25l fiesta) presumed it was the power steering fluid running low, I have now come to figure out, that it has electric steering, as I could not locate a reservoir. I'm aware I sound like a complete novice but can anyone advise if I am correct in my assumption, and what they suspect the cause may be. as I have no idea if this will need to be an immediate or even an expensive fix.

thanks in advance and happy xmas
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 09:11 AM   #2
NathanK24
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by flacon01 View Post
hi guys,

so I've had my car for about 6 months now, e92 325i m sport lci. I've noticed recently a whine when turning the steering, and it doesn't occur for the first quarter turn of the wheel. Now me being a complete amateur (and my last car being a 1.25l fiesta) presumed it was the power steering fluid running low, I have now come to figure out, that it has electric steering, as I could not locate a reservoir. I'm aware I sound like a complete novice but can anyone advise if I am correct in my assumption, and what they suspect the cause may be. as I have no idea if this will need to be an immediate or even an expensive fix.

I'm pretty sure there should be a power steering fluid reservoir. On my 335 I recently did power steering fluid. Take a turkey baster, extract current fluid. Pour new fluid in and tighten cap. Turn on car and crank wheel to limits 3-4 times, left-right-left-right. Turn off and extract new fluid that has cycled into reservoir, and add more new fluid. Repeat this process until reservoir is purely green (or maybe reddish if your car uses auto-trans fluid).

Ultimately, this silenced my steering whine a lot. Just make sure to use whatever fluid your cap says to use.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 09:18 AM   #3
flacon01
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanK24 View Post
Quote:
hi guys,

I'm pretty sure there should be a power steering fluid reservoir. On my 335 I recently did power steering fluid. Take a turkey baster, extract current fluid. Pour new fluid in and tighten cap. Turn on car and crank wheel to limits 3-4 times, left-right-left-right. Turn off and extract new fluid that has cycled into reservoir, and add more new fluid. Repeat this process until reservoir is purely green (or maybe reddish if your car uses auto-trans fluid).

Ultimately, this silenced my steering whine a lot. Just make sure to use whatever fluid your cap says to use.
not sure if it makes a difference but I am in the UK, I have checked every nook and cranny of the engine bay and can't find the typical reservoir as I know what they look like. I will take a pic of the bay and post at as soon as Xmas has passed
Appreciate 1
      12-26-2018, 08:31 AM   #4
flacon01
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
hi guys,

not sure if it makes a difference but I am in the UK, I have checked every nook and cranny of the engine bay and can't find the typical reservoir as I know what they look like. I will take a pic of the bay and post at as soon as Xmas has passed
hope this can help solve my issues
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 09:07 AM   #5
BMWinAZ
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i, ‘08 328i, ‘03 316ti

Garage List
It really looks like there is no hydraulic power steering and the associated reservoir in your car. Some of the f30 owners with electric power steering have experienced problems with the bolts holding the power steering unit in place. I don't know if that would generate the noise you have heard but I would take it to a sho specializing in BMWs to diagnose this.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 09:11 AM   #6
NathanK24
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
hi guys,

Wow, hmmmm. Your intake does not look stock. Have you removed the intake at all to see if it was relocated under it or anything? Maybe you do have electric steering. Possible noise from an old EPS motor on/near the rack? Unfamiliar with how to test an EPS motor though.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 09:49 AM   #7
flacon01
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
hi guys,

Wow, hmmmm. Your intake does not look stock. Have you removed the intake at all to see if it was relocated under it or anything? Maybe you do have electric steering. Possible noise from an old EPS motor on/near the rack? Unfamiliar with how to test an EPS motor though.
it is all stock the car was bought from BMW, and kept by a careful previous owner, I guess I'll have to take it to BMW, I'll keep you posted what I find out
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 03:23 PM   #8
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
Wow, hmmmm. Your intake does not look stock.
He's from London. 325i LCI means he has a N53B30 engine.. Naturally aspirated with direct injection!

Electric power steering was also available in the European market on these cars, so that would be my guess why there's no reservoir. Your whine is likely caused by something else - alternator or AC compressor.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 03:37 PM   #9
NathanK24
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
Quote:
He's from London. 325i LCI means he has a N53B30 engine.. Naturally aspirated with direct injection!

Electric power steering was also available in the European market on these cars, so that would be my guess why there's no reservoir. Your whine is likely caused by something else - alternator or AC compressor.
Thanks for clarifying, I see
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 04:56 AM   #10
flacon01
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
Quote:

Thanks I just called my local BMW to confirm the EPS steering too, they have said I can get it diagnosed for £99 p/h, what made you suspect the noise is alternator or compressor? as the noise seems very specifically steering related
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 05:30 AM   #11
flacon01
United Kingdom
Rep

so I have localised the noise to just behind the steering wheel, noise is definitely coming from there and not anywhere in the engine bay, is sounds a little like when you slide something along a rubber grommet
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 08:22 AM   #12
Bali
E46 Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 E84 F15

Quote:
Thanks I just called my local BMW to confirm the EPS steering too, they have said I can get it diagnosed for £99 p/h, what made you suspect the noise is alternator or compressor? as the noise seems very specifically steering related
Looking on realoem.com, it seems EPS comes with this option:
S217A Active steering
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=32_1571

So, you should be able to see if this option is present on your LCI E92 using an online VIN decoder.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 12:46 PM   #13
ziddak
ziddak
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i xdrive

Quote:

I too did a flush and refill on my 328i xdrive 2009. I replaced the reservoir too because it has a built in filter and the part is cheap. I used the approved fluid and while I had the hoses disconnected from the reservoir, I used a vacuum pump to pull out most of the old fluid out of the lines and steering rack. Put everything back together and did the refill and bled the system by raising the front wheels off the ground and turning the steering wheel lock to lock several times while engine was running. Turned off engine, let it sit for a while so any air would find it's way back to the reservoir. Then I repeated the bleed procedure. Steering is much more quite and the life of the pump and rack will be extended by flushing out the old fluid. Cheap and easy maintenance!
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2018, 01:21 PM   #14
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziddak View Post
I too did a flush and refill on my 328i xdrive 2009. I replaced the reservoir too because it has a built in filter and the part is cheap. I used the approved fluid and while I had the hoses disconnected from the reservoir, I used a vacuum pump to pull out most of the old fluid out of the lines and steering rack. Put everything back together and did the refill and bled the system by raising the front wheels off the ground and turning the steering wheel lock to lock several times while engine was running. Turned off engine, let it sit for a while so any air would find it's way back to the reservoir. Then I repeated the bleed procedure. Steering is much more quite and the life of the pump and rack will be extended by flushing out the old fluid. Cheap and easy maintenance!
Except that the original poster has electric power steering, so there's no fluid to change.

Quote:
so I have localised the noise to just behind the steering wheel, noise is definitely coming from there and not anywhere in the engine bay, is sounds a little like when you slide something along a rubber grommet
I take back my comment about being an alternator or AC problem. I though you were trying to chase down a faulty power steering pump whine. Are you getting a squeaking sound when you turn the wheel? If so, check this post out:
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=635473
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 10:10 AM   #15
flacon01
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the help everyone, spent some time on it today and found it was the rubber grommet as I suspected around the steering column where it passes through the firewall
Appreciate 0