E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Washer Fluid Leak (Not Tank or Pump)

12-20-2018, 12:01 PM   #1
NathanK24
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335xi

Washer Fluid Leak (Not Tank or Pump)

So last night I decided I would try and take care of my washer fluid leak. I expected it to be one of the pumps or seals for pumps, but they were spotless. I even filled up the tank and followed the snorkel, checked all around tank, etc. My headlight washers were also operating normal, not dripping down front bumper. I decided to let the car sit overnight and try to see any fluid leaks.

This morning, there was a small puddle under the driver side intercooler outlet to the charge pipe. Not directly, but that general area. Since this is a bit towards the center from the headlight washer, is there a hose that runs between the two headlight washers? That is where I'm guessing the leak is. Also, would I have to remove my bumper cover to access it? Going through the wheel wells is easy, but this is further towards the center.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 06:07 PM   #2
NathanK24
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Update:

Removed driver side wheel well and discovered that side's headlight washer is leaking. Fluid is dripping out of it, and that seems to be the only visible leak. Going to attempt to replace an O ring or anything inside the washer before paying for a new one.

Weird though. When I removed the hose that feeds fluid to the washer, all of the washer fluid drained out. Considering this hose is not lower than the tank, surprised gravity was able to do this. Leads me to suspicion that my headlight washer pump (connected to tank) has an issue, since system seemed under slight pressure with car off. Watched a DIY from Justin Bruice on headlight washer replacement and this did not happen for him.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 09:40 AM   #3
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Good luck opening the headlight washer without breaking it. Even if you can do so, good luck finding a matching seal. It is not a regular o-ring, it is a kind of a piston seal.

Even if the headlight washer is leaking, it shouldn't drain all the fluid in the tank. There will still be some left for the windshield washer pump. But the sensor for low washer fluid gets tripped when the level goes below where windshield washers will work but headlight washer will not work.

If your tank was really gets emptied such that there is not even fluid left for headlight washer, you may have some other problem. Doubt it though. You should have signs of leak at the passenger side wheel well also.
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2018, 01:06 PM   #4
NathanK24
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseP View Post
Good luck opening the headlight washer without breaking it. Even if you can do so, good luck finding a matching seal. It is not a regular o-ring, it is a kind of a piston seal.

Even if the headlight washer is leaking, it shouldn't drain all the fluid in the tank. There will still be some left for the windshield washer pump. But the sensor for low washer fluid gets tripped when the level goes below where windshield washers will work but headlight washer will not work.

If your tank was really gets emptied such that there is not even fluid left for headlight washer, you may have some other problem. Doubt it though. You should have signs of leak at the passenger side wheel well also.
Thanks for the insight. As you said, could not open washer nozzle. I ended up just buying a new one and throwing it in while everything was apart. Passenger side nozzle may leak a tiny bit, but not nearly as much as driver side was. Issue is resolved as of now.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 04:40 PM   #5
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

I have a theory with those washer pumps or other parts leaking, breaking. I had an Audi before with same system and components, had the same leak on that twice, one time with the BMW. My theory is if you had put the washer fluid say beginning of summer and didn't use it much during the summer, the methanol slowly evaporates from the fluid leaving the fluid freezing at higher temperatures. If beginning of winter fluid is not replenished with fresh one, it may freeze and damage components. Just a theory.
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2018, 05:07 PM   #6
NathanK24
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseP View Post
I have a theory with those washer pumps or other parts leaking, breaking. I had an Audi before with same system and components, had the same leak on that twice, one time with the BMW. My theory is if you had put the washer fluid say beginning of summer and didn't use it much during the summer, the methanol slowly evaporates from the fluid leaving the fluid freezing at higher temperatures. If beginning of winter fluid is not replenished with fresh one, it may freeze and damage components. Just a theory.
Totall agree. Was suspecting something along those lines because my problem arose only when winter hit here in MI. Did not use my washers much in the summer/early fall, and did not have a leak that required refilling of any fluid for months.
Appreciate 0