E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Left adaptive headlight stuck all the way to the left.

12-18-2018, 10:22 PM   #1
nyklus
Rep
Drives: 2010 bmw 128i

Hello guys, so as the tittle reads my left adaptive headlight on my 08 335i is stuck looking all the way to the left, I have the adaptive headlight malfunction warning in the dash so I'm guessing either the stepper motor has gone bad or the adaptive headlight module. this happend when I didn't seal the headlight properly after changing the bulbs and water got in it after I washed the car. I really don't care about the adaptive headlight feature, so is there anyway to get the light manually looking straight w/o replacing, coding parts?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 11:00 PM   #2
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyklus View Post
Hello guys, so as the tittle reads my left adaptive headlight on my 08 335i is stuck looking all the way to the left, I have the adaptive headlight malfunction warning in the dash so I'm guessing either the stepper motor has gone bad or the adaptive headlight module. this happend when I didn't seal the headlight properly after changing the bulbs and water got in it after I washed the car. I really don't care about the adaptive headlight feature, so is there anyway to get the light manually looking straight w/o replacing, coding parts?
There are two manual adjuster screws on each headlight. One is under a cap in the fender. If you have a cable I can remote in and code out adaptive headlights all together free of charge.
Appreciate 1
AandSC34.00
      12-19-2018, 05:31 AM   #3
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
You probably got codes. What are they?

If you can't fix it through Ista, I'd say you'll either have to code AHL out and manually adjust it, or buy a new and or used one on-line and get it coded to your car.

New new AHL headlight is about $700-850.00 depending on where you get it. Used probably a fraction of that price.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 09:03 AM   #4
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post

If you can't fix it through Ista, I'd say you'll either have to code AHL out and manually adjust it, or buy a new and or used one on-line and get it coded to your car.

New new AHL headlight is about $700-850.00 depending on where you get it. Used probably a fraction of that price.
IMO it if most likely the AHL module which can be replaced without removing the headlight.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 11:58 AM   #5
nyklus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickco43 View Post
Quote:

IMO it if most likely the AHL module which can be replaced without removing the headlight.
Most likely the ahl module yeah, I will buy the laptop cable to connect with the car on Amazon, I will pm you once I have to code out the feature lol I will appreciate it 👍🏻
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 03:47 PM   #6
nyklus
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I don't know the codes. I wonder if Carly can read codes for adaptive headlight malfunction since that's the only scan tool I have at the moment in which case I will give it a try soon as I'm off work.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 06:41 PM   #7
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I don't know the codes. I wonder if Carly can read codes for adaptive headlight malfunction since that's the only scan tool I have at the moment in which case I will give it a try soon as I'm off work.
Carly is a decent scan tool. It probably will give you the codes for an AHL module.

If it is, you will need the bmw tools software and a very good k & d cable from beemer geeks to fix it once you get a new/ used AHL module, if that's the issue. Of course you will need at the very least a 30amp battery charger or you risk bricking your car.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 06:54 PM   #8
nyklus
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Carly is a decent scan tool. It probably will give you the codes for an AHL module.

If it is, you will need the bmw tools software and a very good k & d cable from beemer geeks to fix it once you get a new/ used AHL module, if that's the issue. Of course you will need at the very least a 30amp battery charger or you risk bricking your car.
Well I just scanned the car and the code is 009CBF defective smc left / disturbed communication with stepper motorbox left, so I guess it's the stepper motor?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 06:57 PM   #9
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

the stepper motor is replaceable by itself.

IIRC they are the same left/right, so you could swap them and verify that the fault follows the motor.
check realoem with your vin for the part numbers.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 07:08 PM   #10
AandSC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M-Sport MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post

IIRC they are the same left/right, so you could swap them and verify that the fault follows the motor.
Realoem doesn’t show the horizontal stepper motor for the pre-LCI E92s. At least I couldn’t find it. The couple threads I read said only the vertical stepper is replaceable. I have an intermittent fault on my passenger horizontal stepper motor and would love to be able to replace it.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 07:17 PM   #11
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

that's my fail.
I didn't read closely enough. no, I don't believe the horizontal ones are replaceable.
I also don't think there's enough adjustment in the manual adjust to get it aimed correctly again. I currently have my passenger side adjust broken, so I'll be opening it up soon enough and finding out.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 07:52 PM   #12
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post

Give the guys at FCP Euro a call. They will give you a lifetime warranty on the parts you buy.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 08:12 PM   #13
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
I would just code adaptive headlights out.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 08:25 PM   #14
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

One of the common problems reported here for those
is the control arm pops out of the ball joint.
Sometimes you can pop it back in according to
past posts.

Appreciate 0