E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > short circuit fault/frm reset

12-17-2018, 02:25 PM   #1
maddrums79
Registered
Rep
Drives: '08 BMW 335i

short circuit fault/frm reset

He guys, so i had an issue with my pass. side halos and rear drl's not working. I did some digging and had some exposed wires up front and a bad outlet in rear. I replaced the assembly with new bulbs and aftermarket units and still no dice. I had my frm reset and as soon as it was reset a short circuit fault code popped right back up. so, now I'm wondering if the short circuit is in the wiring to the lights of in the frm itself? has anyone else had this issue?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 07:26 PM   #2
beadleyf
Newbie!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i Sedan

So I just bought a 2011 335i, Driver side halo/DRL dead. Bulbs are new. Checked for voltage--nothing. Checked for short, none.
Just took it to an indy shop in town, and he cleared the short circuit fault, but it comes right back. He then completely reprogrammed it, and it still didn't fix it. He can command it to turn on, but then it faults out again.

We've checked wiring, bulbs, and reprogram. I'm thinking it's the FRM.

I discovered BMW extended the warranty on the FRM for certain manufacture years to 10 years/156,000. Google "FRM Warranty" and it will pop right up.

I'm going to try the dealer soon, hopefully they'll fix it!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 06:28 AM   #3
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by beadleyf View Post
So I just bought a 2011 335i, Driver side halo/DRL dead. Bulbs are new. Checked for voltage--nothing. Checked for short, none.
Just took it to an indy shop in town, and he cleared the short circuit fault, but it comes right back. He then completely reprogrammed it, and it still didn't fix it. He can command it to turn on, but then it faults out again.

We've checked wiring, bulbs, and reprogram. I'm thinking it's the FRM.

I discovered BMW extended the warranty on the FRM for certain manufacture years to 10 years/156,000. Google "FRM Warranty" and it will pop right up.

I'm going to try the dealer soon, hopefully they'll fix it!
The FRM module will shut the specific circuit down after 50/60 faults.

You have to use Tools 32 to reset the fault counter in the specific bulbs effected. Just make sure that you know 100% for sure that your new bulbs & what not are good or the faults will go right back up to 50/60 in a matter of seconds (no lie) and you are right back to where you started.

I'd tell the FRM not to look for faults in your bulbs after your done fixing it, to avoid this problem again.

You see this a lot with pre-Lci models and people adding LED's. The FRM looks for low or no voltage and counts that at as fault(s). When it reacts 50/60x, it sort of goes into self protect mode and shuts down the specific circuit all together. Dealers won't tell you this and sell you a new FRM at $400 plus dollars plus install is another $600.00 or more (what a racket).

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=866044
Appreciate 0