E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Are these OHMS reading normal??

12-11-2018, 09:23 PM   #1
Cisco335i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan

Are these OHMS reading normal??

Would appreciate your input. Thanks.
Attached Images

12-12-2018, 12:36 AM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Your question is a bit cryptic, and without knowing what scan tool you are using (Do I see Foxwell dimly above the screen?) I can only guess about what is being displayed.

Short Answer: It varies

Long Answer:
You have TWO halves of the fuel tank, and each half (Left or Driver's, and Right or Passenger's) has its own fuel level sensor. Your fuel level gauge on the dash COMBINES both halves. It is NORMAL for the Left or Driver's side half to be depleted FIRST, and then the Right or Passenger side of the tank. These Tank sensors or Senders are connected to the JBE module, so if your Foxwell is reading information from the JBE, then that is what you are seeing.

The Washer Fluid Level Switch and Coolant Reservoir Level Switch are also connected to the JBE, so that must be what you are showing. Your screen says "Instrument Cluster" but that is actually relayed to the Instrument Cluster by the JBE via the KCAN bus, for use by the KOMBI to light warning lights if levels are low.

Are there other Data Values to the right of the Ohms readout column? If NOT, I have to call BS on the part of Foxwell for NOT explaining what you are seeing.

Each Fuel Level Sensor sends a signal to the JBE that varies in voltage due to constant voltage input to the sensor, but varied resistance depending upon fuel level. Apparently Foxwell computes the resistance rather than reporting the voltage signal. INPA simply shows a number relative to ~ 1000 for full tank half, and a bar graph for each tank half.

Your Foxwell is showing a normal scenario where you have MORE fuel in the Right half of the tank than the Left. If change in resistance (Ohms) is linear with tank level, then you have approximately 10 times as much fuel in the R half as compared to the Left.

You can confirm whether the theory above (I have never used a Foxwell) is correct by filling the tank, displaying and saving the screen you show (and BOTH halves should be ~ the same, and then when fuel gauge on instrument cluster shows half, check the ohms readings again. My guess is that you will see numbers similar in range to those you now display.

George
Appreciate 2