E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Highbeam blinked by itself. Then Highbeam and turn signal died

12-08-2018, 05:40 AM   #1
Session
Norway
Rep
Drives: E90

Highbeam blinked by itself. Then Highbeam and turn signal died

My 07 pre lci have some problems. First i noticed that the highbeam would blink by itself sometimes when driving. Then one morning my higbeams and turn signal stopped working completely. I need my highbeams in the winter (BMW owners apparently don't use the turn signal) 😂

Can anyone point me in the right direction As to what to look for?
I have checked the fuses and they are ok.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 09:44 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Do you have xenon lights or halogen lights?
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 01:36 PM   #3
BimmerNugget
Crazy Frog
United_States
Rep
Drives: L.L.Bean Bootmobile

Check the FRM module. It controls the lighting. Scan the car with INPA or a BMW scan tool like Foxwell NT520. I bet there's a ton of codes stored in the FRM module.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 03:47 PM   #4
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Session View Post
My 07 pre lci have some problems. First i noticed that the highbeam would blink by itself sometimes when driving. Then one morning my higbeams and turn signal stopped working completely...
I assume from your description that you cannot (1) flash headlights by pulling turn indicator stalk, (2) "tip" either left or right turn indicator by light pressure (no detent), or (3) "Detent" turn indicator to sustain flash until cancelled? If so, probably mechanical failure in switch S7 (see below).

INPA, connected to FRM, selecting Status (F5), and then F3 (Button/Taster) would tell you if FRM was receiving a signal from S7 when turn signal stalk was moved. There may or may NOT be a fault stored in FRM related to the issue, since FRM doesn't know you are pressing the stalk if it receives NO SIGNAL. Have you noticed any different feel or sounds from the switch or rotation of the steering wheel?

My guess (See TIS circuit diagrams linked below):

1) S7 (Direction Indicator/High Beam Switch) mechanical/contact malfunction;
2) X1880 (Connector at Steering Column Switch Cluster) that handles connection of wires between S7 & FRM, particularly Pins 1 & 5 for Direction Indicator and Pin 8 for High Beam, loose or corroded connection, or damaged wiring.

Here are TIS Circuit Diagrams related to S7 (switch), A72 (Steering Column Switch Cluster) Pinout, and A4011 FRM (Footwell Module) that controls the lights based upon inputs from things such as signals from S7 and A72:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...icator/bVTUIAB
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...lim/1VnXhyYUOO
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...module/hiaDKxH

Please let us know what you find. If the problem is a failed switch (S7), please let us know if you are able to fix it, replace just the switch, or have to replace the entire Switch Cluster.

George
Appreciate 0