E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E90 $500 Rev9 Fully Adjustable Coilover Kit Installation + Issues

12-04-2018, 05:30 PM   #1
Thebimmer57
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i e90

E90 $500 Rev9 Fully Adjustable Coilover Kit Installation + Issues

Like the title reads I need the SIZE AND THREAD of the oem rear shock bottom nut, this is the #2 in the picture I attatched. I have looked at atleast 30+ pages and tried navigating the forums to find the correct size, but it seems like this is another thing that is impossible to find info on.

So if someone smarter than me could just simply tell me the size and thread of the nut I need that would help me finally install my new Rev9 Coilover suspension. Also after contacted rev9 and asking what size nut is needed they tell me to get oem nuts as the kit did not include new nuts and when I tried to use my oem nut it did not fit so I am at a standstill, but for anyone wondering the rev9 coilover kit for 500$ is great high quality and fully adjustable just sucks the nuts are not fitting, after I get the correct nut I will update on the driving quality of the kit.

Thank you again for helping me find this simple info that is overcomplicated for some reason.
Attached Images

Last edited by Thebimmer57; 12-09-2018 at 08:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 05:50 PM   #2
jwalker87
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i, '11 335xi, '01 Z3M

Looking up your car on realoem.com, #2 in that diagram is BMW part number 33506784003, which is a M10-8 nut.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=33_1263

Here's the part on FCPEuro: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...10-33506784003
2011 e70 x5 diesel
2010 Ducati Monster 696
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2018, 06:09 PM   #3
Thebimmer57
Rep

jwalker87 Hey man thank you so much for such a fast and informative reply, the world needs more people like you. I went ahead and ordered the 4x of the bolt you linked, hopefully this will fit, ill update this thread reguardless, information like this should come up on google and other search engines when searching like most parts and queries, but today a forum helped me for once and didnt just redirect me to a search engine that isint optimized for keywords. Thank you Jwalker87!!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 03:54 PM   #4
Thebimmer57
Rep

Very sad day, well I ordered the M10-8 nut and payed for next day shipping and it still doesnt fit on my shock, I am pretty fucking pissed off and the company rev 9 had lost all credibity, its soo fucking sad that a single nut cant be accounted for, the company told me its an oem nut, I get the oem nut and it doesnt fit, what the fuck am I suppost to do, I am considering suicide because this is just another issue that cannot be solved by the interenet and it fucking sucks ass soo hard Ive been unable to drive my car 2 weeks because of this shit, it should ahve came with the fucking single nut for each shock fuck rev9. Someone that has Rev9 coilover suspension please tell me the correct nut I need as oem doesnt fit.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 04:04 PM   #5
bsmoov
Captain
Rep
Drives: e91 6 speed touring

For some reason I knew it wasn't going to fit. Based on your original post you already attempted to reuse the original nut and it didn't fit. I'm not sure why ordering the same nuts would be any different (except if the previous owner switched nuts or used a shock that used a different nut).

I when I ordered new bilstein shocks for my rears, it definitely came with new nuts.

If I were you, i'd just take my car to autozone/oreillys and see if they have a nut that fits as they usually sell parts like that on the rack. Or go to home depot or lowes and find a nut that has the same threading. All that nut does it hold the shock to the shock mount.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 04:17 PM   #6
Thebimmer57
Rep

@bsmoov yeah man you are soo right, I should have known the oem one wouldnt fit but mine from my busted shock had a rusty nut and I was also told by my cousin the me hanic helping me install them that the nut needed was m10 1.75 but that nut spec is impossible to find anywere even the internet its unheard of, so I thought maybe this nut would be different of course not, im going to post pics because maybe it fits but I have to really turn it hard, the pics show how far the nut goes on by hand wont budge now, I am also going to call rev9 instead of message them hopefully Ill get a real answer, lol jk rev9 doesnt have a support phone number only email niceeee.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 04:26 PM   #7
Thebimmer57
Rep

These are some pics of the oem bolt on the rev9 shock , I had to resize them like 3 times for this site

Last edited by Thebimmer57; 12-09-2018 at 08:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 04:31 PM   #8
jwalker87
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i, '11 335xi, '01 Z3M

Very strange that their directions are explicitly wrong. Are the shocks in a position where you could remove them and take them somewhere? A lot of hardware stores (Lowes/HomeDepot/Ace) have little cards/plates with various thread sizes and pitches that you can try to put on it, and they sometimes have wacky thread pitches that aren't normally stocked. There may also be specialty fastener stores in your area that would have more selection (Fastenal comes to mind).
2011 e70 x5 diesel
2010 Ducati Monster 696
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17309.00
      12-06-2018, 04:39 PM   #9
Thebimmer57
Rep

Ok I actually found a contact number for rev 9 and they told me to go to home depo, lowes, ace like you reccomended just now to check the thread, So i am going to do that now and ill update the thread after, I also reccomended to the company that they should include the nuts for the future so maybe they will do so and make this the 5 star product it is for the price.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 04:40 PM   #10
bsmoov
Captain
Rep

Yeah, i'd definitely just take the shock off and take it to a hardware store and try some various sized nuts. They should have a plethora of nuts to choose from. Shouldn't be that hard.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 04:44 PM   #11
bsmoov
Captain
Rep

I wouldn't hold my breath on the rev9 coilovers. I just saw that is got some low reviews from even Honda civic owners. You get what you pay for and from what i'm seeing is that they're pretty cheap. Especially for missing hardware and such.

Keep us updated and good luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 06:11 PM   #12
Thebimmer57
Rep

Ok I'm back from lowes and of course the biggest thread they have for me is an
"m10 1.5 thread" nut .
Tommorrow ill look for a shop/person that specializes in different thread sizes and hopefully that person can get them made for me because these shocks are good quality and adjustable, but the slightly larger "m10 1.75 thread" size is the only thing making these bad lol.

Once I get the nut or resize the shock thread, I can really test them on my car and give a real review right now this issue will happen to anyone buying rev9 for bmw e90 and the company doesnt know the size either which sucks. But dont say their bad yet because the quality and feel is similar to 1000$+ full suspension just a different name, again once I get the nut it will work and ill really test them for performance, but until then fuck the haters and fuck everybody else that says just get monroe its better yeah fuck that noise I want some adjustable shocks, we can get past a different size nut like cmon isint this 2018.

If anyone has a good reccommendation for a nut/thread specialty shop in NY/Long Island let me know thank you.

Last edited by Thebimmer57; 12-06-2018 at 06:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 08:44 PM   #13
slupie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 328iT, Montego Blau

You will not find M10X1.75 nut since they do not exist. I doubt that anybody will be able to make a nut for you since there are no M10x1.75 taps in existence. Whoever you use they need to be able to cut threads with their lathe and at that point you are paying a lot to have 2 nuts made, we are talking in excess of couple hundred bucks.

These are the sizes that exist, M10X1.0, M10X1.25 & M10X1.5.

Take the shock with you to the hardware store like Ace not HD or Lowes match up the thread pitch by lining up the bolt thread with the shock thred. If teh pitch is identical the bolt thread peaks will fall into the shock thread valleys perfectly.

Who says that the shock has metric threads, could be English, 3/8-8 or 3/8-10 or 3/8-12 or 3/8-16 or 3/8-24.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 12:11 AM   #14
Thebimmer57
Rep

slupie Thanks for the insight, I will be heading to Ace tommorrow with shock in hand, hopefully they will figure this out. The 1.75 pitch/thread I reffered to was just my best guess at what it could be, as it threads on a little but gets stuck just felt like it needed a slightly bigger thread for the nut, I am very aware now that m10 1.75 is im an impossible nut to find, but hopefully like you said it might just be an English thread not metric like every single person I talked to said it was, mainly because I mentioned its for a bmw. Thank again, ill update this thread after my trip to ace tommorrow.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 05:21 AM   #15
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Holy shit OP just relax. Bolt threads are no mystery. Do your self a favor and go to a good hardware store or decent real auto parts store (i.e. not the big-box ones like autozone) and buy a $10 thread measuring kit. A thread measuring kit is a plastic card with various-sized holes in it to measure the bolt diameter, and it has a thread-pitch gauge to determine the thread pitch (Metric) or thread count (SAE). You find the hole in the card that allows the bolt to slide through with slight friction, this determines the bolt size. Then you use the thread-pitch gauge to measure the thread pitch/thread count. The gauge has the various standard thread pitches set up on little arms that fold out from the gauge body. Each arm has little teeth on them that fit into the thread valleys of the bolt. The individual arm has the thread pitch number stamped on it.

Now what you need to determine is if the bolt thread is Metric or American some times called "English" or SAE (for automotive part applications). These days almost ALL automotive parts manufactured anywhere in the world use Metric sized thread. So unless the Rev9 suspension is manufactured in the USA and the company is completely stupid, the thread should be a Metric thread size. All thread sizes come in two pitch classes: "course" and "fine". For most standard engineering applications course thread pitch is used. For metric thread the pitch is stated in the number of millimeters between the peak of the thread. So a 1.75 metric thread pitch means there is 1.75 millimeters between the two peaks of the thread. SAE threads have a thread pitch but it is called thread "count" and indicates how many thread peaks there are in per inch of bolt length. So a M10x1.5 means the bolt shaft is 10MM and the thread pitch is 1.5MM between the threads. For the shock it's reasonable to consider the thread size is M10x1.5 or M10x1.25 because Realoem.com shows the nut as a M10-8 (the "-8" means it is a grade 8 bolt material - hardness of the metal) 10MM metric thread is either 1.5 "course" or 1.25 "fine"; which is why you should get a thread measuring kit to determine the pitch. The lower shock mount is sized for a 10MM bolt, so it reasonable to assume the Rev9 shock is a 100MM bolt thread on the end.

Here's a good internet place to go and learn about bolt threads:

https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-i...iandpitch.aspx
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 12-08-2018 at 07:52 AM..
Appreciate 2
simon64.50
      12-07-2018, 12:19 PM   #16
Dabrwright
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E92 335i V. Red/SB

Garage List
I have a similar situation with Koni Active Red rear shocks.
The bottom nut is a different thread to original OE shock
However Koni supply the correct nut and washer with the new shocks
The top fixing is the same as OE
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 03:16 PM   #17
Thebimmer57
Rep

I am relaxed bro, and yeah I didnt know much about nuts like you lol, I do now and none of the standard metric or american nuts/threads fit at all.

I went to Ace today, and I had 2 people helping me and they tried everything and used the tools but still couldnt determine what the nut should be, I eventually found a nut that fit snug and wasint loose, it was from a random bin but it fit unlike anyother(a real cinderella moment lol). I then found another nut that was the same, I dont know the thread or the mm size of the nut but I know it fits well, I will also equip it with locktite and a washer, hopefully my cousin will be around tommorow to help me finally put these in.

I should have went to ace first, as they have more nuts and bolts of different sizes more than any other place, and the guys there were nice and very helpful.

Once they are in ill update the thread on how they feel, I am really exited to use this suspension kit, and ill be drifting and putting it to work trust me. I might even take a vid, wish me luck; and if I die, just know I was having fun and loving life driving my car, and Rev9 should sell their products with the bottom shock nuts.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 03:44 AM   #18
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Well Bro, either none of you, including the good folks at Ace Hardware knew what the hell they were doing, or Rev9 sold you a deffective part. Among the various reasons bolt threads are standardized is for reduction of production costs. Either the thread is cut with production thread-cutting tooling (i.e. thread dies or a CNC lathe ) or it is manually "hand" cut using a lathe. Using dies or CNC machine tooling means all the parts on the production line are manufactured exactly the same, so it is impossible to get a one-off thread size. If a lathe was used to hand cut the part it could have been set to some obscure thread size if the operator did not set up the lathe correctly. That would seem a highly irregular way to manufacture the shock absorber and make it very expensive, or it was built in some piss poor 3-world sweatshop manufacturing facility and I'd expect the Rev9 part to last all of 15 minutes or so.

If Rev9 said they used the standard thread size BMW uses, why didn't you just try to check the thread sizes against each other by laying the threaded portion of the BMW shock over top of the Rev9 part. That would have saved you a headache and a stupid-ass rant on E90 Post.

Good luck with it. Next time just buy Koni or Bilstein, two companies who make high-quality suspension components.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 12-08-2018 at 04:20 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2018, 05:30 AM   #19
WallyF
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 eDrive40

Garage List
Rev9 should have sent you replacement shocks

If Rev9 says that the OEM nut should work, why didn’t they send you a set of replacement shocks? It should have been their problem not yours.

It doesn’t make them look very creditable. I don’t think I would go near them again.

Wallyf
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 08:33 PM   #20
Thebimmer57
Rep

Ok finally got the rear left side adjustabe shock and adjustable spring in , took me a few hours and I did it myself with a jack and 2 jackstands, I also used the moroe mounting kit found in the thread here https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1145344.

It works great! but I still have the right rear to do and the fronts(That will be for tommorrow). But ive got to say i already feel the difference on the left side and the car isint bouncing and shit when going over bumps on the left side, its nice and stiff(I also had a brand new oem stock for only the rear left side cuz we had to put something since I had no nut when we first started on the installation, stupid i kno but my cous bought it and couldnt leave the car were we were working.

Its low and could be lower but a little lopsided by an inch or 2 from the back, but man am I happy, I also had to modify the moroe top shock absorber(by removing the nut that didnt fit the top shock thread and added the nut that came with the rev9 suspension kit) and I also used the nut found from ace and an OEM nut + washer + threadlocker blue for the bottom of the rear shock.

Ill try to take pics of the rear right side when its all in and also take a pic of the modifications I had to do. Wish me luck, and good luck to those that go down the 476$ Rev9 adjustable coilover kit, ill let yall know when its all in!
Appreciate 0