E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > So many coolant leaks. Front of radiator?

12-04-2018, 09:53 AM   #1
minifridge1138
Private
Rep
Drives: It has 4 wheels and an engine

So many coolant leaks. Front of radiator?

Hello everyone,

My car: 2007 E90 335i 6MT. 120K miles.

My story thus far...
So the plastic coupling between the cylinder head and the thermostat (I think) broke. This guy, but the oem plastic one: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...024797ecs01~a/
Luckily the tow truck driver was nice.

While replacing that hose, I broke the "nipple" on the upper radiator hose that connects the coolant line that runs to the expansion tank. So I replaced the upper radiator hose.

Now, when the car gets warmed up I have steam coming from in front of the radiator. It comes out of the grill and over the top of the radiator and out of the 90 degree elbow duct that is supposed let air flow to the intake. I don't see any smoke coming from the "back" of the radiator where the upper or lower hoses connect.

Is there anything in front of the radiator that could be leaking under pressure or is my problem the radiator? My guess is that when I was working to get the upper radiator hose on, the plastic expansion tank cracked.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 12:19 PM   #2
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Maybe is residual coolant from previous leak burning off? Or another leak? Wash nicely the radiator and then pressure test and check for leaks.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 12:55 PM   #3
arkie6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by minifridge1138 View Post
Hello everyone,

My car: 2007 E90 335i 6MT. 120K miles.

My story thus far...
So the plastic coupling between the cylinder head and the thermostat (I think) broke. This guy, but the oem plastic one: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...024797ecs01~a/
Luckily the tow truck driver was nice.

While replacing that hose, I broke the "nipple" on the upper radiator hose that connects the coolant line that runs to the expansion tank. So I replaced the upper radiator hose.

Now, when the car gets warmed up I have steam coming from in front of the radiator. It comes out of the grill and over the top of the radiator and out of the 90 degree elbow duct that is supposed let air flow to the intake. I don't see any smoke coming from the "back" of the radiator where the upper or lower hoses connect.

Is there anything in front of the radiator that could be leaking under pressure or is my problem the radiator? My guess is that when I was working to get the upper radiator hose on, the plastic expansion tank cracked.

Thanks in advance!
You probably broke or cracked the rigid part of the hose that runs along the top of the radiator from the upper coolant hose nipple to the expansion tank. That overflow hose has rubber hose on both ends, but the middle is a rigid tube and it becomes brittle with age and heat and commonly breaks/cracks where it is clipped to the top of the radiator. Remove the air intake duct above the radiator and you will likely see the problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 01:25 PM   #4
minifridge1138
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkie6 View Post
You probably broke or cracked the rigid part of the hose that runs along the top of the radiator from the upper coolant hose nipple to the expansion tank. That overflow hose has rubber hose on both ends, but the middle is a rigid tube and it becomes brittle with age and heat and commonly breaks/cracks where it is clipped to the top of the radiator. Remove the air intake duct above the radiator and you will likely see the problem.
That’s a good thought, but I forgot to mention that while I was troubleshooting, I pulled the fan out and watched the steam come from the front of the radiator.

The rigid hose isn’t leaking. I really hoped it was.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 12:42 AM   #5
minifridge1138
Private
Rep

Ordered a new radiator and a new lower radiator hose.

Hopefully that will fix it.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 01:37 PM   #6
minifridge1138
Private
Rep

After much drama, the new radiator (and lower radiator hose since I was already there) are working great.

It really felt like everything I touched broke.

Good luck!

End result I replaced the following:
Cylinder head to thermostat hose because the Mickey Mouse coupling broke.
Upper radiator hose.
Lower radiator hose.
Radiator.
Radiator drain plug <-- new radiator didn't come with one and I broke the old one.

I also flushed the system twice. Neither time was intentional.
Appreciate 0